86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 Totoya Truck 4x4 22r wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1987 Totoya Truck 4x4 22r wont start

I have a 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4 standard can 22r 5 speed trans.I just bought the truck a few weeks ago and its been hesitating about 3/4 into the pedal and as long as you didnt give it full throttle it ran great and it was also having idle problems.Well i was driving it the other day and it starts to backfire a little and i deciced to retime it and did it and had the the 1 piston up on comressiopion stroke and the harmonical balancer was sitting on 0.So i go to crank it and its not starting at all.So i check the spark and its getting great spark but noticed the carb wasnt sprayin fuel so i got another carb and its still doing the same and i checked the fuel pump and no fuel is coming out so obvisious thats why it wont crank but what has me puzzled is the bowl was full of gas and it still wouldnt crank so i put a little gas in the carb and it sounded like the engine was tryin to vapor lock and was luggin real bad to turn over.So after the fuel clears it turns over great.Im puzzled as what is wrong now when it was just running and took the distrubutor out and stuck with these problems now.Any help i would greatly appreciate thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your timming sounds like its off,maybe you werent on the compression stroke on the number 1.
you may be 180 off.....just my opinion.
but all your symptoms sounds like yor timming is off....except the fuel pump issue.
id change the pump,probally you problem to begin with....im assuming you have a manual pump.

my 82 was acting up at above 3/4 throttle,drove it for 4 days before the fuel pump quit altogether.

Last edited by igotit; 01-25-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:19 AM

Yeah I was thinking the same about the timing but I've have spun it 180 out and it started to backfire while cranking.I put a new carb on it because only one barrell would open the other one was froze up bad.thanks for the info I'm gonna put a new pump on it it and see if it acts right hopefully
Old 01-26-2012, 04:47 PM

also the possibility of bad gas...maybe water in the system.
since water doesnt compress,it would just sit ontop the pistons and make he hard to roll over.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:47 PM

Thats true also i noticed when i took the other carb off the gas came out on my hands and looked like it had water but just thought it looked like that because i had grease on my hands but thank you for telling me that definately gonna check that also
Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 PM

after re-reading your post about vapor lock,carb full...but no spray...i thought water!
water is thicker/heavier than gas,a carb full of water wont spray while cranking,takes alot of suction to pull water through the tiny holes and jets.

hope that helps.

try pulling the plugs,if theres water in the cylinders,should be some water on the plugs since you tried cranking it.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:04 PM

I have a 1987 toyota pickup with the 22r 5 speed trans but i have a little diffrent problem mine is not getting power for some reason... when i turn the key to the on position the battery light comes on... i have headlights and flashers but no dash lights or break lights and my tail lights dont work when i turn on the headlights checked all the battery connections to the fuse box under the hood and the wire going from the positive to the starter selenoid and all check out. I dont what to do