Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1987 Pickup 22R Intermittent Starter Problem

Old 10-04-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Pickup 22R Intermittent Starter Problem

I need some help. I never know when my starter is going to not work. It works 95% of the time, but that other 5% I end up popping the clutch to get her started. Once the engine has started, I can usually cut off the engine and then start right up again with the key ignition. When it doesn't start, there is no sound whatsoever. No clicking or anything. All my lights and accessories work.

My guess is that there's a loose wire between the key ignition switch and the starter somewhere.....but could there be any other reasons why the starter fails so sporadically?

I'm carrying a voltmeter with me until it happens again so I will be able to test if the starter is getting voltage. I'll post an update once I figure that out. Of course, whenever I have time to mess with it in the driveway, it starts every time....I guess that's the way it goes.

Thanks guys
Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 PM

If yours has a no clutch switch on it try putting it in neutral pushing that button and see if it starts. Mine was doing just this and it was the clutch switch not making contact.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by NautiRedneck
If yours has a no clutch switch on it try putting it in neutral pushing that button and see if it starts. Mine was doing just this and it was the clutch switch not making contact.
I'm pretty sure that I've tried that but I'll keep that in mind next time it happens. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Check out Rad4Runners thread. He has lots of good info. I would suggest checking your starter relay. Mine did about the same and followed his advice. Works great!! Link>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...ild-up-252300/
Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
If no Click Whatsoever, quite possibly ignition switch contact ST1

Originally Posted by kustomguitarist
...When it doesn't start, there is no sound whatsoever. No clicking or anything. All my lights and accessories work.
My guess is that there's a loose wire between the key ignition switch and the starter somewhere.....but could there be any other reasons why the starter fails so sporadically?
I'm carrying a voltmeter with me until it happens again so I will be able to test if the starter is getting voltage.
(Probably not your starter motor itself- Gotta verify that). Many reasons for that intermittent problem. Yes, poor contact somewhere is a good guess. Chances are it's a problem with the control circuit. Explained in my post here.

No clicking whatsoever, even of your Circuit-Opening-Relay? If so, bad ignition switch contactsST1 is a possibility. Ignition switch contacts ST1 get beat up because of the starting circuit wiring flaw explained in my post.

Always having a VM is good! When it happens again, most accessible place to check if ignition switch ST1 contact is bad is at starter relay connector here:

Chances are, when it happens again you would not have an assistant to turn ignition key while you check under hood. Use my Special Service Tool

Originally Posted by NautiRedneck
Even if Clutch Safety switch does not make contact (provides ground to starter relay), COR should still click when ignition is turned to "Start", However, using Clutch Safety Cancel Switch is still a good troubleshooting tool. Try it anyway.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Check out Rad4Runners thread. He has lots of good info. [/url]

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-05-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 AM

More than likely the starter is bad.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pat8942
More than likely the starter is bad.

...there is no sound whatsoever. No clicking or anything.
Go ahead, kustomguitarist, replace your starter J/K

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-06-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 AM

Thanks everyone. Especially Rad4Runner. Unfortunately (...or fortunately) I haven't had the problem since I posted this thread. I still have the voltmeter with me and I'm ready to test the ignition switch ST1 contact at the starter relay connector next time it doesn't start.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 AM

RAD4Runner thanks for the pictorial. I have a similar problem and it helped me out greatly!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks everyone. Especially Rad4Runner.
Originally Posted by yprior
RAD4Runner thanks for the pictorial. I have a similar problem and it helped me out greatly!
Pleasure to help, guys.
yprior, Did you actually do he fix? Pls show us how you did it. If you added kill switch, do not post where