Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1987 4Runner manual leaking oil from transfer case

Old 08-27-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 4Runner manual leaking oil from transfer case

Hi Yotatech,

I'm journeying with my girlfriend from Palo Alto, Califronia, to Austin, Texas. I'm moving, and unfortunately she'll be staying back in San Jose. Anyway, I bought the truck a couple weeks back.

It's pretty loaded down. The truck has the 22RE and definitely struggled on the overpass. But on the flats, 70-80 was pretty doable with the A/C on. Everything seemed fine, until we noticed a nasty whine mainly in fifth and third, and a horrific oil leak underneath.

The oil seems to be leaking from the transfer case. It's going all the way back to the spare tire, the hitch, and even the rear window. I think this has been going on for a while now. I should have recognized it sooner.

The transmission was rebuilt in the last few thousand miles, from what I understand. I'm confused by the whining noise that it gives, while the leak seems to be from the transfer case. Maybe it's from the transmission output shaft seal, into the transfer case, and back out?

Anyway, we've made it to Quartzsite, Arizona, and I'm hesitant to drive much further. We did find a mechanic for tomorrow morning. I have a bunch of tools with me, but this seems like I'll need a seal that might need to be shipped in, and would be a lot more work than I want to do out in the sand somewhere out here.

Could you provide any advice? It seems a lot like this thread, but I'm hoping for confirmation that it may be the same issue: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l-leak-253488/

How far do you think we can go with it, as-is? Where should we look first?

More pictures: http://imgur.com/a/ZwCJ8

Thank you!

-Teran

PS: If you're curious for the backstory: https://voat.co/v/overlanding/comments/1242358

Last edited by sega01; 08-27-2016 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Fixed picture link
Old 08-29-2016, 06:57 AM

Okay. Good news and bad news. I think there were two problems.

Good news: Mechanic fixed the transfer case leak. He was able to even watch it leak on the spot. It was pretty terrible, coming mostly from the output shaft going to the front axle.

Bad news: Transmission still whined. I thought given the severity of this leak and given some of the things he said, it might be fine. He said the oil level on the transmission was fine. I should have asked him to drain the transmission oil and look at it, though.

Well, it still whined, until it blew. I lost fifth and maybe all other gears, then fourth. AAA towed us to Avondale, Arizona (near Phoenix, I think). The truck is outside the Super Discount Transmissions place in Goodyear.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like new transmission time.
Maybe someone on YT in Arizona can help.
There is a thread that lists salvage yards for Toyota's.
Hope things work out in a timely manner for you.
Good luck.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:47 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
i lost the rear transfer case seal on my 4runner in a similar manner, in 110+ heat going thru bakersfield to yosemite... i didn't have a spare tire back there but it blew fluid all over everything, including the rear tailgate.

once i got to the valley i was able to pull the fill nut on the back of the transfer case and confirm proper fluid level, the seal was bad but the transfer case had been overfilled, so nothing seemed to be damaged... had to drive it all the way back to san diego county like that, it made a mess.

i wonder if your fluid level was a bit low to begin with, and then the fluid loss from the bad seal contributed to trans dying...

the transmission fluid and and the gearbox oil are separate, but i think that you already knew that.

i would look up that zuk guy that is here on the forum, i think that he lives in az??
Old 08-29-2016, 04:51 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
here: https://www.yotatech.com/members/3506.html

it looks like he's in chandler, which is outside of phoenix, here is his website i think, i couldn't find a phone number: http://www.gearinstalls.com/
Old 08-31-2016, 08:19 PM

osv, thanks for your replies. He seems like a good guy to take it to.

Fortunately, I was in luck. The tow truck driver recommended Super Discount Transmissions in Goodyear. He dropped it off there, and they almost got the transmission swapped the next day. Went over into the morning.

All in all, they were phenomenal. Really great shop. Maybe not the cheapest option, but I trust them and would definitely go there again.

They found that the output shaft seal of the transmission was leaking, then overflowing up to the breather on the transfer case. They had a rebuilt transmission and transfer case in stock that they installed. They also put in a new clutch and clutch master cylinder (which went bad after the clutch install). It shifts like butter and feels like a tight unit. It also looks much more stout -- I think it's a slightly different transmission. The coupling between the transmission and transfer case is much more stout. I should show you all a picture at some point.

Anyway, back on the road. Made it out to Willcox, Arizona. Should definitely make it the rest of the way. Lots more to do on this truck (bushings, balljoints, brake booster, tires...), but I think it will make it.