Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 22r 4x4 l/b with 30k og miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 22r 4x4 l/b with 30k og miles

Howdy,

I just picked up an '87 long bed 4x4 with 30,000 original miles on it. I'm super stoked (and promise I'm not here to brag), but super curious about this new truck. I'm pretty new to working on cars, but definitely want everything on this truck to be done by me. From what I've heard the 22r's are fairly simple (as far as engines go) to work on.

I guess my first question about this truck is: What should I be concerned about first? It literally sat, garaged, for the last ten years. Before this, it was the "Vacation Truck" for an old guy that had a summer home on an island here in the Pacific Northwest. He just drove it to the store and such. I'm the second owner.

The old guy (I say this endearingly) got it tuned up before I picked it up because he said it was "driving a little rough after sitting". New oil, plugs, wires, filters etc. I've had it a week now and it fires right up cold, hot whatever. Idles fantastic, has plenty of power etc. In fact, I can't think of anything that this truck needs. But after sitting for so long, is there anything in particular that I should check out?

What has been known to go - due to age? This truck has original everything right down to the factory AM Radio. I, only yesterday, took the original tires from 1987 off. They were cracked to all hell. Got some new Michelins put on.

I work, seasonally, up in Yosemite National Park and this winter I will be in the Tetons. I definitely need to be able to count on it pretty soon. In between these spots I will be all over the west coast rock climbing and sleeping in the back of it (let's hear it for longbeds!).

So am I being silly? Should I just drive it and wait for whatever to break before I fix it? Or is there super obvious Toyota stuff that should always be checked that I just don't know about... Like should the timing chain be okay? I'd really love for this truck to last me up over 300k (270k miles from now) =)

Anyway, nice to meet everyone. I used to have an 86 22re and always searched here for info. This forum is fantastic!

I'll do my best to put up pix in the next day or two. I really suck at figuring that stuff out (and maybe I'm waiting for my TOYOTA tailgate decal to arrive first).

Thanks!

Edit: Has anyone seen or heard from James Dean from www.jamesdeancreations.com lately? I sent him an email a few days ago about original 87 toyota decals and haven't heard anything back yet...
Old 11-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like a nice score. Since the PO did a pretty good job of tuning it back up, just like your tires, some seals probably dry rotted, but maybe not. I would keep an eye on the seals around the drive train. Driving will get the seals wet again and could help get everything working nicely. Getting fresh gas in will help.

Start an account in photobucket and then post the [IMG....IMG] part. It will be the last link in the picture.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Terry. I'll check the seals. It doesn't look like there are any leaks so far, but I bet they are crusty and cracked.

Quick question: This truck is bone stock. No a/c, am radio, no tac, no clock even. There isn't one decal on the truck anywhere. I ordered a TOYOTA decal for the tailgate and was thinking of ordering some year appropriate striping from james dean creations for the sides... do you guys think I should keep it all original though? The only other thing I was thinking of changing was the wheels and maybe putting some fog lights on...

Last edited by saltandgranite; 11-30-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I havent ordered fro James Dean but looks like he does great work. Dont know if he is still in businesss. I personally would keep it to where I could take it to orginal as there arent many with that low miles or they are really hard to find. I can do restores, but a restore is never an orginal truck or car again, it can be as nice or nicer but not the same, it is the second best thing there is next to orginal.

AC was added at the dealer. Alot of the things you are wanting to do can done and taken back to the way you got it later.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by saltandgranite
But after sitting for so long, is there anything in particular that I should check out?
I would say give attention to the brake fluid as it will absorbed moisture from the air, that is from the reservoir. The color of the fluid is most likely dark by now.

Plus anything rubber, like engine vacuum hoses or radiator hoses, should be looked at.