Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1986 Toyota 22r Losing Coolant and Smelling Gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Toyota 22r Losing Coolant and Smelling Gas

First off thanks for checking this out, I'm not necessarily new to engines, but I'm not necessarily a mechanic either. But anyways, I've been having some issues with my pickup over the last few months and need some help in possibly confirming my suspicions.

In mid-May I noticed that the engine was starting to run really warm, it didn't go to the red, but was just under the top white horizontal line, about an 1/8th of an inch or so. I changed the oil and found the level to be way low, I know I know, I should have been keeping a better watch on that. I hoped that maybe that would be the case, but then I checked my coolant level, and found that to be way low too. I thought the oil seemed to look a bit strange, but it was dark and pretty similar to how oil changes had been, but it was enough to raise suspicion that something wasn't quite right. I put some 50/50 in the radiator and reservoir and hoped that would be the end of it, but alas it wasn't.

To sum it up quickly from here, I did some research and found the culprit was most likely the timing chain guide breaking and allowing the chain to wear a hole in the cover. With help from my uncle and my cousin's husband, we replaced the timing chain set, cover, water pump, belt, hoses and thermostat in a weekend. We also dropped and cleaned out a bunch of the junk in the oil pan from the broken chain guide.

After all that, we forgot to flush out the coolant system while we had all of that stuff off of the engine, so for a few weeks I was running straight water until I could drain the system in hopes of getting the system cleaned out. I couldn't find a place where I could use a hose to flush the system where it would be okay to allow the system to drain because I was pretty sure that it would make a big mess. I finally drained the system and filled it back up with antifreeze and water hoping that would be the end of it. About a week later I was driving and heard something that sounded like a distant car horn, but had a weird feeling and looked down at my temp gauge and saw I was in the red. Luckily I was at a red light so I quickly shut off my engine and found the reservoir to be empty again, but I quickly filled it up and got it into a nearby parking lot and was able to carefully open the radiator cap without burning myself, thanks to a pipe wrench, and a lot of air came out. I went ahead and filled it with some water I had and crossed my fingers and started the engine back up and was relieved that it cooled down. I figured that must have been from me forgetting to "burp" it, I had plans, but kept forgetting. I'm sure some of you have probably been cringing and I don't blame you, I'm frustrated at myself for letting these things happen and have definitely learned my lesson, luckily I still have a running vehicle.

I thought that was end of it, but alas I keep losing coolant somewhere. I don't see any external leaks when I run the engine, nor do I see white smoke coming from the exhaust. The oil is fine though, the level has stayed the same and it looks fine, so luckily the oil and coolant aren't mixing. I checked the spark plugs in 1-3 today that were replaced about a month ago, and it looks like they're already getting dirty. Also lately I've noticed a gas smell every now and then when I'm driving. It comes and goes, but if I have the hood up and get in the breeze of the fan by the air cleaner, I can smell gas, but I don't see any leaks.

I'm pretty sure that I've got a bad head gasket, but I'm wondering if I have a bit more going on and just want to be sure. As much as I like working on engines, I really would rather figure out what is wrong and try to fix it at once. I'm on a very limited budget right now, kinda sucks being a college student, so I'm thinking I'm going to go with a leak sealer to see if that can take care of the coolant leak, at least temporarily until I can get a new gasket and time. I'm kinda wondering about a warped head and the chance that is a possibility as well and what the approximate cost is to get that checked out and machined if I take it off myself. If it is a warped head, would that have anything to do with the gas smell? I also noticed today that the carburetor seems kinda loud, I haven't really paid much attention before, nor have I ever really ran the engine with the intake cover off, so I'm not sure if that's normal or not. But I can definitely hear the jets.

I apologize for the novel, but wanted to make sure you got the story. I know, I need to work on my paraphrasing, but thanks for bearing with me there. If you have any tips or ideas, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It sounds like you have a blown head gasket, but what ever you do DON`t put any stop leak in the radiator. All that will do is plug up your radiator and the coolant passages in the head and make things worse.

I had the same gas smell on my 86 4Runner, and it turned out to be the fuel pulse damper. It screws into the bottom of the fuel rail on the front of the fuel rail. it has a screw in the bottom of it and if the screw comes out the damper will leak gas. If your fuel pulse damper has a plastic cap on the bottom of it carefully remove it and the screw might still be in there, if its not then you will need to replace it. Try and find a used one if you need it, because a new damper is about $90.00 dollars.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by myyota
It sounds like you have a blown head gasket, but what ever you do DON`t put any stop leak in the radiator. All that will do is plug up your radiator and the coolant passages in the head and make things worse.
dito on this. I've used it once & wish I had not for the very reason stated.

It's time to start diagnosing the issue you having. Your options are:
1) a cylinder compression test, which requires a tool. If you don't have one already, sometimes it can be rental at your local auto parts store. Since you mention you do your own wrenching I wont presume you are ignorant of it. I will say that if you do have a loss in pressure, it will not tell you where the leak is occurring. That tool is #3 option.
2) a combustion leak detector like in the link below. It still requires money.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=75500+
3) leak down tester. This tool pressurizes each cylinder to see if all of it's sealing points are intact, e.g. valves, rings, head gasket, etc. This tool is used to tell you where the leak is occurring.

Originally Posted by broncos008
I also noticed today that the carburetor seems kinda loud, I haven't really paid much attention before, nor have I ever really ran the engine with the intake cover off, so I'm not sure if that's normal or not. But I can definitely hear the jets.
I would say that is normal. My carburetor sounds loud with the air cleaner cover off as well.

Originally Posted by myyota
I had the same gas smell on my 86 4Runner, and it turned out to be the fuel pulse damper. It screws into the bottom of the fuel rail on the front of the fuel rail. it has a screw in the bottom of it and if the screw comes out the damper will leak gas.
From the OP statement about a carburetor, I would venture to say that he & I do not have the "Fuel Pulse Damper" or a "Fuel Rail". At least I have not heard of it on the 22R.

Last edited by slow-mo; 07-11-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any evidence of "boiler scale" or streaking on the block, hoses, or radiator? You could have a small leak under pressure, but slow enough to evaporate with engine bay heat. I think someone here used a UV dye to find their leak, but maybe that was oil leak...worth a try?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fairly cheap and easy:
With the radiator cap off, start the engine and allow it to warm up. it'll probably burp some coolant out so you may want a bucket, trough or something to catch it if you're worried about that. Now, watch the coolant in the radiator and look for bubbles coming up- pretty definite sign either the headgasket has blown between a cylinder and water jacket or a crack in the block or head, allowing pressure in the cylinder to enter the cooling system. this is going to push fuel and oil into the radiator so you would probably also see a rainbow sheen on the coolant too.

Also, keep in mind coolant flows through the intake manifold. When the engine gets hot, fuel in the carburetor evaporates and could be contributing to the smell.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I can't believe I forgot about the compression leak detector, my apartment complex is right by a repair shop, I'll have to go see if they'll do a quick check, at least with the compression leak detector, I think Auto Zone has a compression tester they'll let me use and I have a Clymer Service Manual to get those specs.

I've run the engine with the radiator cap off and I let the engine run for quite awhile, so the thermostat should have opened up, but there were no bubbles or a rainbow sheen so that's sort of a good sign. As far as the gas smell, I can smell it right after I start the engine.

I don't recall any boiler scale or streaking, but I'll be sure to double check tomorrow. Mostly when I was looking, I was looking for anything that looked fresh, while it was off and while it was running. I also don't notice any leaking fluid under the engine on the ground where I parked.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to go do those tests as soon as I get the time, hopefully tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM

okay.

Gas smell: have you checked the charcoal canister and hoses?

Still running hot: have you replaced the radiator hoses?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:10 PM

I have not checked the charcoal canister, besides a leak, is there anything I need to check on it? Do those go bad over time? I don't think the hoses were mixed up because I didn't disconnect them when the timing chain and cover were replaced.

The hoses and clamps are brand new. They were replaced when I changed the timing chain, and actually that was the first time they had ever been replaced. My dad and I just never had a problem with them, it was just decided that while the old hoses were off, it would be best to go ahead and change them considering their age. But I've checked and checked the hose connections and they are all fine.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 PM

All 3 rad hoses are new? There's an upper and a lower, and a short piece near the alternator.

Did you change the t-stat after running straight water through it?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 PM

All three hoses were changed as well as the thermostat with the timing chain, which was before I ran straight water through it.

However, and I'm pretty ashamed to have to admit this, I just went out to check the charcoal canister and something made think about the pipes that run from the back of the timing chain cover to the rear of the engine. I was looking for a possible leak around those, but was surprised to see the three bolts on the drivers side were not tightened up all the way. I can't believe those were overlooked, both when the cover was replaced and when I went through the day after to check for loose bolts, but I did and just tightened them all down. It looked like there may have been a possible leak from that area, hard to say when it's dry, but I'm going to definitely keep an eye on it now. Hopefully that was all that it was, but I'm still pretty frustrated with myself for forgetting that, and admitting that dumb mistake is pretty tough.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Yeah, those are important.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think he (I'm assuming he) means the metal heater pipe, part number 87249A. Even though that has only 2 bolts.

http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.asp...%23..CBR%2cEFI

The only thing I can think that has 3 fasteners on the drivers side rearward is the splice for the Air Injection, right where gasket number 17377 is.

http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.asp...408-8708%2922R
Old 07-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Yeah, it's the metal heater pipe. After checking out the service manual, you are correct, it only has two bolts, the third is just to bolt the timing cover on. It's kinda hard to see that now, I just know that the three bolts there were loose, but are tight now.