Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1986 Runner Trans question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Runner Trans question

Hello gentlemen. I have been looking for a 1st Gen Runner for about 6 months and I think I have found the right truck, except the transmission. The current owner says that it slips over 3000 rpm. It is a 22re with auto trans.
Can anyone recommend an auto rebuild kit that a transmission novice can install?
Would it be worth it just to have a pro do it instead? Any idea of an average rebuild cost for these?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:33 PM

Find a good junkyard A340 or do a 5 speed swap.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:51 PM

I would like to have a 5speed. I'm sure it's been covered numerous times in this forum. When I have a few hours at home I'll do a search and see how complex it is. It should be a basic bolt on change with a toyota 5 speed correct?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 PM

you also have to keep in mind that your going to need a flywheel, clutch, clutch hydraulic lines/slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, install a clutch pedal, ect ect
Old 01-16-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rebuilding either transmission, auto or stick, requires tools that the average mechanic won't have in the garage, nor would a novice even likely want to buy.

Even converting from auto to stick isn't really for the faint of heart. Not that it's that difficult, just involved- like knobs said: you'll need the flywheel, clutch, hydraulics, clutch pedal....

I'd guess around 1800 to remove/rebuild/replace the auto trans in the 86... but don't quote me.

You'd probably be in around $400 for a used w56a/b transmission & transfer case (add another 600 or so to rebuild the gear box and 250 to rebuild the xfer case, if necessary, give or take), then 200-300 for the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel, another 250 for the clutch pedal bracket/master/slave cylinders and plumbing, so around $1000 (up to 1800 or so if you rebuild the gearbox/xfer case) for parts, then more for install. AND even then, you'd prolly have to re-gear the front/rear axles for a more appropriate ratio for the stick, so add another 400-600 or so for that, maybe a little less if you can find someone parting out a vehicle.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Rebuilding either transmission, auto or stick, requires tools that the average mechanic won't have in the garage, nor would a novice even likely want to buy.

Even converting from auto to stick isn't really for the faint of heart. Not that it's that difficult, just involved- like knobs said: you'll need the flywheel, clutch, hydraulics, clutch pedal....

I'd guess around 1800 to remove/rebuild/replace the auto trans in the 86... but don't quote me.

You'd probably be in around $400 for a used w56a/b transmission & transfer case (add another 600 or so to rebuild the gear box and 250 to rebuild the xfer case, if necessary, give or take), then 200-300 for the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel, another 250 for the clutch pedal bracket/master/slave cylinders and plumbing, so around $1000 (up to 1800 or so if you rebuild the gearbox/xfer case) for parts, then more for install. AND even then, you'd prolly have to re-gear the front/rear axles for a more appropriate ratio for the stick, so add another 400-600 or so for that, maybe a little less if you can find someone parting out a vehicle.
Before I started searching this site I had a list of about half of the parts you have listed. Honestly a swap seems like more work than I would like to do and more wrenching than I am comfortable doing. If I wind up with this truck it looks like I'll be pulling the auto out and taking it to a pro for the rebuild work. While it's out it will give me some time to address other things under the truck. I'm going into this with the assumption that regular weekend shade tree work has not been done on it.
Thank you all for your input. I'm sure I'll be asking for more later.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 PM

Hey man keep me posted with what you end up doing. How much (if u don't mind) you end up spending. Ect.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin
Before I started searching this site I had a list of about half of the parts you have listed. Honestly a swap seems like more work than I would like to do and more wrenching than I am comfortable doing. If I wind up with this truck it looks like I'll be pulling the auto out and taking it to a pro for the rebuild work. While it's out it will give me some time to address other things under the truck. I'm going into this with the assumption that regular weekend shade tree work has not been done on it.
Thank you all for your input. I'm sure I'll be asking for more later.
Another thought may be finding a used auto at a wrecker (low miles of course) or a complete vehicle you can scavage parts from.

Since it seems you're looking at over 1000 for just rebuilding the automatic transmission, a whole but otherwise undrivable vehicle with a usable trans would probably cost you less. And then you'd have time to rebuild a trans, sell parts off the other vehicle, and could probably end up making a profit. This is, of course, if you have the money, room, and time to deal with it.

Just a thought.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 PM

Yeah man, I recommend you swap 5 spd and eliminate that problem and other future problems that rise with automatic trans.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Another thought may be finding a used auto at a wrecker (low miles of course) or a complete vehicle you can scavage parts from.

Since it seems you're looking at over 1000 for just rebuilding the automatic transmission, a whole but otherwise undrivable vehicle with a usable trans would probably cost you less. And then you'd have time to rebuild a trans, sell parts off the other vehicle, and could probably end up making a profit. This is, of course, if you have the money, room, and time to deal with it.

Just a thought.
I think you are right. In order for me to make it work and be affordable to my very tiny budget I would have to have a donor truck to get all the parts from. I've only got the room to wrench on one truck at a time. Any more than that and the wife will have me sleeping outside in back of one. I'm thinking that if I buy the truck that I'm looking at I'll pull and instal the trans myself (I have done this with 2 previous projects) and take it to get built. The other two transmissions were GM turbo 350's and only cost me $300 to have built. I am thinking that this build should be around $400 but that is a total guess. I plan on calling the trans shop I have used before to see if I can get a quote. I'm sure I'll find some other stuff under there that will need replaced once I have the trans out, so I just hope I don't nickle and dime myself to death.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:11 AM

If you find a shop rebuilding A340s for $400, turn around and run. You can find a working used trans from a junkyard or local ads for $300-500.

Last edited by BMcEL; 01-17-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Just curious, but didn't some jeeps or any other trucks use the 340's ? Would any of those work using your bell housing? This is a question to all u Toyota "guys".
Old 01-18-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by BMcEL
If you find a shop rebuilding A340s for $400, turn around and run. You can find a working used trans from a junkyard or local ads for $300-500.
Thank you, that's good to know. Any idea of what an average A340 rebuild should cost?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 AM

$1-2k depending on the shop.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM

Thank you, that's good to know. Any idea of what an average A340 rebuild should cost?
$1-2k depending on the shop.
I think I mentioned around 1800 for a shop to R&R and rebuild. $1k-2k for a rebuild where you bring it to them doesn't sound that far off from what I mentioned.

Forewarned though: one area you can have issues is that if you remove the trans and take it to a shop, all they can do is replace parts they "think" need replaced. If they have the vehicle and can do various tests on it, such as fluid pressure at solenoids and other places in the valve body, before pulling and rebuilding, they may find failing parts that need replaced but wouldn't get replaced otherwise.

Catch-22.

Like I said, the rebuilder replaces only the bare minimum (clutch packs, bands) but you install the trans only to find the planetaries, pump and more needs replaced. So, out comes the trans again....

You're not in an easy chair with simple choices to make, and I sympathize.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM

So this is how I see it. I spend 2kish on the truck. Another 2k on the trans and other small items associated with it. I'm out 4k and a couple of weeks with it in the shop.
But, I would one major part of the truck that I won't have to worry about for years to come. This will be a second car for me to be played with and driven in snow, so the down time is not a big deal. But, my sub 1k trans fix is blown out of the water for sure.
Or, I can keep hunting and spend 4k on a truck in running condition with a 5 speed if I can find one not rotted out.
I'm going to look at it this weekend. If it's in good shape otherwise it might be worth it.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM

But, my sub 1k trans fix is blown out of the water for sure.
Why not just get a used trans for $3-500 and install it yourself, especially since it is a secondary vehicle.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM

I just saw a couple of used trannys on ebay. They would fit an '86 model 4x4 too. They listed their phone numbers as well.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:28 PM

Why not just get a used trans for $3-500 and install it yourself, especially since it is a secondary vehicle.
Why must you always find the easy logical answer to all my questions.
My only issue with a used trans is not knowing what shape it's in. But, with the truck as cheap as it is it's probably worth the gamble. I think this is the way to go if I get that truck.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:49 AM

And some of the used trannys have warrantys. I know they aren't 50,000 warrantys but 90 days is better than as is, no returns. Anyway, I hope your wallet stays healthy , LOL.