86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1986 22re metalic ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 22re metalic ticking?

I have an 1986 4runner with a 22re jasper rebuilt motor. It has approximately 40,000 miles on it and is making an intermittent metallic ticking noise. Do yall have any ideas of what this could be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kMXcn1kWuM
This first video is with the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BDOSgNHtmc
This second is without or less of the sound, sorry my dog barks a few times in this one.

Like i said its intermittent and for the life of me I cant tell where its coming from.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
almost sounds like a exhaust manifold leak in the video
Old 03-03-2011, 05:16 AM

Does it only do it when engine is cold? Maybe the exhaust manifold. They often leak a little until warmed up when they expand and seal up a little better. Makes a clicking noise from the exhaust escaping.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 AM

I installed a new exhaust manifold gasket not too long ago and i had this problem before I replaced it. It does it totally intermittently, sometimes warm, sometimes when cold. I can find no pattern to this noise.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 AM

A new gasket might not be enough to rule out ex manifold. They tend to warp which means no gasket will fully seal. A lot of people get them machined flat to help. But it could be something else entirely. There is another recent thread related to a loose chain guide making noise. Could be that maybe.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 AM

how would I rule out the exhaust manifold? will i be able to feel exhaust sputtering out?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 AM

Any ideas?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you tourqe the manifold down properly upon gasket install?

Install new gasket motor cold. Tourqe down to about 33-35 lbs.

Start engine let its warm-up to operating temp and let run a few mins.

Turn off engine let motor cool down to nearly bone cold.

Re-tourqe manifold.

Done.

Smoke machine will find cracks in a manifold if present.

Time for a header?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 AM

Well looks like it was just a valve adjustment issue. Thanks for the help. Guess I should start with the easy stuff next time!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 AM

I was just fixing to say it sounded like you should check your valve clearence. It sounded like a lifter. Not many yotas or r's in this case should have a lound noise like that unless something is really off
Old 03-05-2011, 11:00 AM

Mine makes that noise because of an exhuast leak below the manifold
Old 03-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Mine makes that exact same noise, almost sounds like a little diesel engine. From what I researched it points to adjusting the valves, but I did that and the noise never changed. Does the pressure in the top end of the engine get affected by the leak, thus making that clicking noise? I don't understand why the clicking noise from the exhaust...just doesn't seem like it could make that kind of noise. I will have to look closely at the exhaust manifold and check for leaks.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:56 PM

Get yourself a mechanic's stethoscope:
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-41966.html

They are cheap and can be really useful in determining where noises are coming from and air/exhaust leaks.

They come with a probe that picks up vibrations, which in turn disturb a diaphram and send the noise to your ears (like a speaker). BUT, if you disconnect the probe and just use the hose, you can pick up on exhaust leaks. Run the end of the hose around the mating surfaces and you can easily hear if there is an exhaust leak.

Once I had to weld up some exhaust, everything looked great and I couldn't even feel any leaks with my hands, but once I used the scope it was easy to identify a couple little pinholes I missed.

Also, did you rule out the injectors? They make ticking noises, but as loud as it was in the video.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jstluise
Get yourself a mechanic's stethoscope:
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-41966.html

They are cheap and can be really useful in determining where noises are coming from and air/exhaust leaks.

They come with a probe that picks up vibrations, which in turn disturb a diaphram and send the noise to your ears (like a speaker). BUT, if you disconnect the probe and just use the hose, you can pick up on exhaust leaks. Run the end of the hose around the mating surfaces and you can easily hear if there is an exhaust leak.

Once I had to weld up some exhaust, everything looked great and I couldn't even feel any leaks with my hands, but once I used the scope it was easy to identify a couple little pinholes I missed.

Also, did you rule out the injectors? They make ticking noises, but as loud as it was in the video.
YES< > regarding the stethoscope! X2!

However, I think he stated he found the noise, and it was "Valve Lash out of Adjustment". Pretty sure THAT'S solved, but that 85 guy there..... sounds like another "ANEURYSM CAUSING TICK", hahaha...(I only say that as I just chased my tail for over a week trying to pin down a pretty bad tick at intermittent RPM's, different with temps quite OPPOSITE of what would be indicative of exhaust).

What I was about to try, and still might if it returns, is "a lil shot of Seafoam" in the intake.... that revealed EVERY LIL TINY LEAK in my exhaust that there was, before I rebuilt and installed a header. Don't need to do a full treatment, just a 1/4 bottle, then put the rest in the tank?

Far as my issue, it seems to be related to my rocker assembly, where my engine builder used the same rockers, etc., but might have OVER AGGRESSIVELY cleaned my rocker bores out? Something, as it's MUCH louder when I listen with the stethoscope from the rear v-cover studs.

Anyway; For now, I've installed new valve adjuster screws, as mine were pretty done, and the "TICK" seems to be FAR less pronounced and more rare in it's appearance.

100 things can cause this, 85, including "Header Click" where the gasses collide in there when one is trying to escape, another is held up.... Another is when the rocker arm bores have ANY up and down play on the shafts(making it almost IMPOSSIBLE to every get the lash right)....Another is Valve Adjusting Screws.... as they DO WEAR, sometimes beyond what can be resurfaced.......... Another is when a cam is just beyond specs or has a bad grind, etc., making it IMPOSSIBLE to properly keep the valves in adjustment.....Another is wrist pin or rod bearing knock(not as likely to not be there when cold and then just intermittently show up)...and yet another common one can be a sticking valve(not as common that this last one would just come and go on occasions...and usually causes a MUCH more pronounced miss/misfire/etc.)

VERY 1ST THING to try is valve lash. Maybe, if you wanted, before that, ....you could try running just a couple thimbles of seafoam and see if/where it comes pouring out...(trust me, if you have ANY holes or warpage, ...it should come out there.)

Then go from there....

I can tell you, I had the valve cover off 4 times, and eventually, the last time, AT LEAST TRYING the "New" adjuster screws. Seems to have helped me alot, and yet, it's still lurking.... I just feel better knowing I investigated as best as I can for now, and I think it's livable, as long as it doesn't get REALLY loud again, lol... And, well, you can tell what Ted of engnbldr thinks at times when you just seem to be chasing your tail over a noise.....just read the 'quote' in my sig! lol.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:04 PM

my engine is 5 times louder than your engine and it runs just fine...
i would say just just stay on top of maintenance and allow the engine to warm up before speeding away out your drive way every morning...

slamming on a gas pedal on a cold engine is just worst thing anyone could ever do.

thats why females always tear up cars...

i've been running rotella 15/40 in my engine for about 9 months or so now and it has made the alot of the nosie go away.. but then again i tend to be cheap some times and just buy it buy the gallon rather by the quart..
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Alright ChefYota, I may have a simple answer for you as personally I have no more anuerysm over the ticking noise coming from my valvetrain. From my previous post, I mentioned I was experiencing that exact same noise. I had just bought the truck and just recently looked at a receipt in the glove box for an oild change - the previous owner used 5w30 oil, which from my understanding has the consistency of water (in terms of oils) and is better suited for newer vehicles, not older Toyota pickups. I talked to a very knowledgeable guy at my local auto parts store that I like to get advice from. He said that noise is normal from 22R/22RE's, just not to that degree of loudness. Simple suggestion was to switch to the recommended oil (10w30) with zinc...in other words, "racing oil". It's $5.29/qt for the Valvoline racing oil, but contains zinc which bonds to metal and acts as a padding for valvetrain components, thus drastically reducing that ticking noise...actually pretty much eliminating it. All in all, I have very little engine noise (nothing out of the ordinary) and there is no longer an embarrassing, pronounced ticking noise coming from my engine. What oil are you using now in your rig? It sounds almost too easy of a solution, but we all need to catch breaks now and again with our rigs. Take care
Old 04-11-2011, 12:31 PM

If your worried about an exhaust leak you could always pick up one of these... My manifold leaked to the point that it would just break apart every gasket I put on it and making it unbearable to drive a long distance. I went with a copper gasket, just to be safe!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:48 PM

>making an intermittent metallic ticking noise?

Nobody mentioned this possibility. I just fixed this in mine.
My noise started when I tightened my valve cover hold down nuts. I pulled the valve cover and found suspicious bright lines on top of the rocker arms. The rocker arms were hitting the inside of the valve cover where the thin sheet of the baffle is bent down around the edge. I used pliers and then a big punch to bend the edge of the baffle outward above all of the rocker arms and the noise is gone.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985YOTA4x4
Alright ChefYota, I may have a simple answer for you as personally I have no more anuerysm over the ticking noise coming from my valvetrain. From my previous post, I mentioned I was experiencing that exact same noise. I had just bought the truck and just recently looked at a receipt in the glove box for an oild change - the previous owner used 5w30 oil, which from my understanding has the consistency of water (in terms of oils) and is better suited for newer vehicles, not older Toyota pickups. I talked to a very knowledgeable guy at my local auto parts store that I like to get advice from. He said that noise is normal from 22R/22RE's, just not to that degree of loudness. Simple suggestion was to switch to the recommended oil (10w30) with zinc...in other words, "racing oil". It's $5.29/qt for the Valvoline racing oil, but contains zinc which bonds to metal and acts as a padding for valvetrain components, thus drastically reducing that ticking noise...actually pretty much eliminating it. All in all, I have very little engine noise (nothing out of the ordinary) and there is no longer an embarrassing, pronounced ticking noise coming from my engine. What oil are you using now in your rig? It sounds almost too easy of a solution, but we all need to catch breaks now and again with our rigs. Take care
Hey man, ....... I'm using 10w 40 Valvoline Conventional until I hit 5K at least(This is a fresh rebuild...... but trust me, MANY things went wrong within 1000, then before 3000, but mostly leaking and other things the guy just didn't do properly).

Most machinists I've picked the brain thereof have told me 10w-40 is the way to go..... especially in Los Angeles. lol. Another 3K till my next oil change, ...so I'll do some more research till then, but I'm fairly convinced(as is Tod of engnbldr and a few others like Jim of Puntey's) that my issue is in "Play in the rocker/shaft assembly".

Thanks for the input man,.... I'm ok for now, but I'll definitely keep an ear on her if she noisies up again past acceptable levels! lol.