Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

102'' Military Style Anetnna & Tie Down.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
102'' Military Style Anetnna & Tie Down.

I am currently running a wilson 2000 trucker mounted to the bike rack
I am thinking of mounting a 102''whip on the rear bumper or a door jamb mount and tying it down lmilitary style to the roof rack when not in use.
Does any one have any pictures of what this might look like or any experience with how it works?

What about ideas to tie it down?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:33 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the Wilson not working for ya? They're supposed to be great...
Old 05-17-2007, 02:37 PM

naw the wilson is workin great, still need a swr meter to tune it though.
i just get bored so i was lookng at this other setup.

think i might invest in a spare tire carrier though, love doin that fab work and summer is comin up fast! ill have alot of downtime.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:08 AM

102''? Like one hundred and 2 inches?
Old 05-20-2007, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bejiita
102''? Like one hundred and 2 inches?

yeah like one hundred and 2 inches.

its a steel whip. i think they are the best anntenna you can use.

i had a piece of flat metal with a 'G' shape knotch cut in it. it was clamped, like a KC lite bar to my rain gutter. the the cut was just enuff to slide the whip in to, and the ball kept it from coming out.

but if you go wheelin, let it out cause a brach will break the whip or the mount, or both
Old 05-20-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 80W90
yeah like one hundred and 2 inches.

its a steel whip. i think they are the best anntenna you can use.

<SNIP>
Maybe as long as you don't play anywhere that requires spotting or in tight areas.
We won't run with anyone that has those after a couple of spotters have been wapped really hard with them.
They're ok for the highway, of for "show" around town to try and impress people, but on tough trails they simply have no place.

Fred
Old 05-20-2007, 08:37 AM

there arent alot of places around the bay area that you need spotters anyways.

Thanks for the idea 80W90. Ill be getting a safari rack so i may weld a small peice inside of it with that notch
Old 05-21-2007, 06:22 AM

I ran a 102" whip for a while, no pics though...
You may have a hard time tuning that 102".
My best antenna experience was with a K40.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

don't you have to have the base mount to be able to screw the antenna on? I recall specifically when mounting to the humvees that was the only way to mount them. The base also served as a matching unit for the different freqs. I don't remember the nomeclature of the base but it was a part of the entire setup for running the sincgars radios out of humvees.

Last edited by saulgoode; 05-21-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:36 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 91muddog
I am currently running a wilson 2000 trucker mounted to the bike rack
I am thinking of mounting a 102''whip on the rear bumper or a door jamb mount and tying it down lmilitary style to the roof rack when not in use.
Does any one have any pictures of what this might look like or any experience with how it works?

What about ideas to tie it down?
Post some pics if you decide to do it....unless I beat you to it.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:51 PM

then you have to post em'!

just got my custom cb mount put in yesterday, nothing special.
pics later on today
Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 91muddog
then you have to post em'!

just got my custom cb mount put in yesterday, nothing special.
pics later on today
I've already mounted the CB and purchased the 102" SS whip. I need to find a HD spring and mount for my rear bumper. Then I'll post pics.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Maybe as long as you don't play anywhere that requires spotting or in tight areas.
We won't run with anyone that has those after a couple of spotters have been wapped really hard with them.
They're ok for the highway, of for "show" around town to try and impress people, but on tough trails they simply have no place.

Fred
A couple.. I could understand one guy but the second one is a dumbass right?
Ya know I'm waiting for a internet story about how one of these 102 whips plucked the eye out of some spotter and the eyeball was like whippin in the air and they had to pluck it off and airvac him and the eyeball to the hospital hahaha
Old 05-21-2007, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by crackerjack
A couple.. I could understand one guy but the second one is a dumbass right?
Ya know I'm waiting for a internet story about how one of these 102 whips plucked the eye out of some spotter and the eyeball was like whippin in the air and they had to pluck it off and airvac him and the eyeball to the hospital hahaha
I []didn't[/b] that it happened to two people on the same run and on the same obstacle did I ?

It's happened to several people out here and no one that really wheels their vehicle uses 'em.

There is really no use for one on the trails anyway.

Fred
Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 PM

they make communicating ont he trail much easier with other vehicle, mostly in case of an emergency.

on the trail it would be tied down so it wouldnt injure anyone, i can even use quick disco's and swap a 4' firestik.

this mod is NOT meant for safety, simply for my own pleasure.
i posted this thread for advice on how to do what i would like to do with my vehicle.
if i was worried about it being safe on the trail i would have asked in my origional post.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:53 AM

I wheel with two people that have them, they require no tuning, they never break, and AFAIC, if you are close enough to a vehicle on an obstacle that you can get hit by it, you are too close, so learn your lesson. I haven't run across anyone that runs them in the front of the truck, which is where I usually spot from anyway, and I have never seen anyone hit with them...at least...not unintentionally. They still work great even when the end is clipped down, so if someone is that worried about it, you can leave it tied down and it will work fine.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:52 PM

102" whip in a RR corner would produce a strong signal out the LF, but weak out the RR. Ideally, a antenna mounted centrally is the best. A 102" whip is a 1/4 wave, but for best distance, a 5/8 wave is the ticket. But you would bneed to increase ant length by about 50" and that would be done by adding a coil on the top in the form of wire wrapping. Look into an NMO type mount and tghen an NMO-27 antenna. Small, compact and unscrews easily to put away. Oh, I'm also a license HAM operator! :;D:
Old 05-22-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
102" whip in a RR corner would produce a strong signal out the LF, but weak out the RR. Ideally, a antenna mounted centrally is the best. A 102" whip is a 1/4 wave, but for best distance, a 5/8 wave is the ticket. But you would bneed to increase ant length by about 50" and that would be done by adding a coil on the top in the form of wire wrapping. Look into an NMO type mount and tghen an NMO-27 antenna. Small, compact and unscrews easily to put away. Oh, I'm also a license HAM operator! :;D:
thats correct a 5/8 wave antenna will work much better over relatively flat terrain. 1/4 wave antennas radiate a lot of energy straight up, and theres no one up there to recieve it.

You should be ok running the whip, but you might get some funny looks/special attention from cops. Any way you go cb is pretty limited. Go out and get a ham license (35 question multiple choice test for the entry level), and you can use up to 1500w. I can easily get 30-40 miles range out of the 35w 2 meter rig mounted in my truck.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 PM

Yup, y'all that want a zillion mile transmission range from your 'lil 'ole CB are really trying to squeeze a lot from a stone.
Get a ham, much, much better.

Also, as already mentioned, a shorter antenna can actually work better than the 102".

Fred
Old 05-22-2007, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
well ideally the antenna would actually be longer. straight antennas tend to work better than loaded (coiled) ones, but with cb it doesent really matter.

Quick Reply: 102'' Military Style Anetnna & Tie Down.