84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

xtra cab bed box/ long bed possible?

Old 11-12-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xtra cab bed box/ long bed possible?

howdy Folks ;

Anyone know if a long bed is possible on an extra cab

i want to say no - well not REALLY - I'de rather say yes

But want to ask if anyone know it can be done and done righth

Cheers thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Sure, with some work. Here is a shortbed pickup where an extra cab was added and the box bobbed (both ends in this case) to fit:

Old 11-12-2006, 12:37 PM

right on man :

nice rig

but to work would it would be week in the tail section I would imagine

i am looking to see if it would be a direct bolt on and drive off happy no worries

cheers
Old 11-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Would require relocating bed mount brackets for sure and any bed beyond the frame would be unsupported, but considering where the wheel well is located, you are kind of stuck on where the bed goes on the frame.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes it is possible cause i have a 86 yota Xcab with long bed
The following users liked this post:
cabot (03-15-2020)
Old 12-09-2008, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
taking an xcab shortbed chassis and converting to an xcab longbed will require as 4crawler mentioned, moving bed-to-frame mounts around and I believe you'll have to move the rear axle rearward since the xcab longbed wheelbase is longer (wheel wells on longbed are farther back).
Old 12-09-2008, 07:41 PM

hallo mates :

Interesting . I thought an xtra cab was considered a long chassis

but looking in my 85 manual I see they have a short and long wheel base
I just thunk the regular cab with regular bed was short wheel and the xtra cab /regular bed shared the same wheel base as regular cab /long bed

to fit a long bed would have to also extend the rear frame a bit - yes /no?

Say Chevy - did you buy your this way or did yourself ?

cheers:
Old 12-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
x-cabs came with a short bed?

now days, in toyota world at least, isn't a 4' bed considered short and a 6' bed considered long? or but then theres a 5' bed i think where does that come in?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

The 6' bed is "standard size", the long bed was 7' and the double cab gets a 5' bed (give or take a smidge) you used to be able to get an xtra cab with a long bed [84-88] but it was a rare beast and usually a 2wd though I've heard there may have been a few 4wds produced but don't quote me on that one.
You could do a straight stretch but you would have to do a custom frame and use the extra long drive shaft out of the 2wd. You could put it on the normal extra cab wheelbase with a short frame extension and two boxes cut aft of the wheel well and welded together. However a topper would be very hard to get now-a-days if you wanted one.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
4 would be short, 5 would be standard...I thought long was 6.5 or 7...
But your probably right...

Old 12-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nomad
hallo mates :

Interesting . I thought an xtra cab was considered a long chassis

but looking in my 85 manual I see they have a short and long wheel base
I just thunk the regular cab with regular bed was short wheel and the xtra cab /regular bed shared the same wheel base as regular cab /long bed

to fit a long bed would have to also extend the rear frame a bit - yes /no?

Say Chevy - did you buy your this way or did yourself ?

cheers:
Std. cab and 4Runner are the SWB models (~103" wheelbase) and have the same frame length.

Long bed and Xtra cab models are long wheel base (~112") and have the same frame length.

Std and Xtra cabs have the same bed length, only difference is the cab is ~9" longer (112"-103"=9").

Std. cab and longbed cab are the same length, only difference is the bed length with the longbed bed being 9" longer up front, that is the length from the wheel wells to the front of the bed is longer.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:11 PM

I have NEVER heard of an Xtra Cab truck coming with a longbed. Frankly I don't think Toyota EVER produced those. There were two frame sizes: 103" & 112".

The extra 9" an extra cab takes, it takes away from the room provided for a longbed. Thus, you get a shortbed with the xtracab.

The less "specialty parts" an automaker puts out, the better. Interchangable parts are what keep expenditures low and profit high. And considering Toyota is one of the Top3 most profitable automakers in the world, I sincerely doubt they would have put out a 3rd frame JUST FOR THIS COMBINATION. MAYBE on a 1 ton chassis, whch never came in 4WD (atleast in the United States).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (based on my experiences):
4Runner and standard cab (shortbed) both use 103" frames, BUT 6 body mount locations differ. A pickup also uses MORE mounts than the 4Runner.

XtraCab and std. cab (longbed) both use 112" frames. Body mounts are different. The bed mounts (which are considerably taller and "boxier" than cab mounts) are welded further forward on the 112" fame to accomodate the longbed. On extracab trucks, the rear cab mounts are moved rearward to support the actual extra space of the cab and the forward bed mounts are also moved rearward.

So in essence, any kind of body change from one to another will require custom fabrication. HOWEVER, year differences aren't as bad. A buddy and myself recently installed a 1989 (round style) cab & bed onto a 1987 (square style) truck frame. All mounts lined up beautifully and he now has a 4x4 truck that was born as a 2WD truck.

Ok, that's all I have.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 PM

Of course its possible to put a long bed on an xtra cab. Just bob the front of the bed and it will fit perfect. It will no longer be a long bed but it will fit fine.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
I have NEVER heard of an Xtra Cab truck coming with a longbed. Frankly I don't think Toyota EVER produced those. There were two frame sizes: 103" & 112".

The extra 9" an extra cab takes, it takes away from the room provided for a longbed. Thus, you get a shortbed with the xtracab.
I know this is a really old thread but Toyota did make xtra cab long bed, that's what I have, 1986. 2wd though.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (12-13-2019)
Old 11-26-2009, 12:47 AM

And now it is older.

I have a 1988 that I bought in 1989. 2wd 5 speed. I have the xtra cab and long bed. I have seen about 2 others like mine over the years. It is not in my owners manual. Always wondered where the frame cam from.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:28 AM

Hallo Mates :

Happy Bird to all ...

most interestinng on this info- be cool to know the dimensions - ( the frame length - track length if different and mount points for box ?

What about the Toyota Camper - or the flatbed with the dual axle ??

cheers:
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 AM

2wds came from the factoey with this option
ive only seen 1 4wd with it but i think its custom work

anything is possible if your willing to do the work to do it
Old 12-02-2009, 01:44 PM

I have an 86 with the longbed and the xtra cab. my sig is the truck with just a bit of photoshoping. but i haven't touched the length
Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM

Hallo Mates :

Thanks for the replies - be good to know what these wheelbases are - and the length of the frame if different from the LN67 - it would have to be I should think .

at least what is the model no. on your ID tag - I believe the LN65 is standard Pickup and LN67 is Extra cab

cheers:
Old 12-02-2009, 05:05 PM

I don't really kno if this is what you're looking for, but if you're saying you have a long bed and want to replace a rusty (or otherwise damaged bed) with the long bed, it takes a ton of work. I just got finished with mine. I took the wheel wells and center section out of both beds and replaced the bad one with the one from the good long-bed. It looks good and is very solid but its a S**T TON of work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: xtra cab bed box/ long bed possible?