84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Why the solid front axle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the solid front axle?

Is it because you can have leaf springs? This are better for roasting, I know. But is the axle itself really better. Do I have replace the drive live too? Any way, I really want to restore my my stock 88' 4runner into an off-road worthy machine. Basically, I plan on putting another 22re in it from Pacific Machine Co in Washington. Their hp motor has 40 more horsepower and I know people who have had great luck with the motors. But besides that, it seems my next step, if I want a truly off-road worthy vehicle, is that I need to do the front axle conversion? The IFS just doesn'T cut it? Could somebody please explain why I should do this? And why it is so important?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Solid axle is one of the last things you will end up doing.
IFS trucks can wheel reallt hard...solid axle is next level.

Search google "toyota solid axle swap yotatech" and you will be rewarded with weeks of reading and pictures. There are youtube videos etc.

Lets see this 4runner.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:34 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Regear and put a locker in your rear end. In Washington we have a lot of trails that a properly built ifs rig will do great on. I had a solid axel 85 geared and locked in the rear. Most of the trails I wheeled around here were in 2wd most of the time. A locker in rear will usually make any rig perform better in 2wd than most rigs in 4wd.

Toyotas are very capable in stock form. The most important things on making a "trail capable rig" is some what in this order. Not set but somewhat. Trail armor, lockers, gears, winch, Then lift/tires. And finally solid axel swaps. If I were building a rock crawler then a SAS is the end goal. But if you want a solid daily driver and fun off road rig then do some of the other mods first. Because if your going to SAS it then the other mods are pretty much a given that you already have done them or will be doing them soon.
Take your rig out with another rig and wheel it to see what it lacks in your mind. Get some good trail/wheel experience in then look at the mods you want to do and how much you want to spend. A SAS is usually at least a $1000 +. And that usually doesn't include gears and lockers which runs at least another $500+ on the cheap side. So look at your budget and fab skills and see what sounds right for you. Lean to use the search function also read a lot in the fab and SAS section of yotatech. Hope this helps more than it confuses.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by tetonvalley4runner
Is it because you can have leaf springs? This are better for roasting, I know. But is the axle itself really better. Do I have replace the drive live too? Any way, I really want to restore my my stock 88' 4runner into an off-road worthy machine. Basically, I plan on putting another 22re in it from Pacific Machine Co in Washington. Their hp motor has 40 more horsepower and I know people who have had great luck with the motors. But besides that, it seems my next step, if I want a truly off-road worthy vehicle, is that I need to do the front axle conversion? The IFS just doesn'T cut it? Could somebody please explain why I should do this? And why it is so important?

I prefer a straight axle for simplicity and strength over ifs. Yes you will most likely have to replace the driveline, because most of the time when you sas a truck it moves the axle forward, plus you have to factor in the travel the axle will have. with ifs the front diff doesn't move, with a sfa it will, so you will most likely have to have a long slip front driveline, have your cv clearanced or switch to a non cv front shaft. If you are a good fabricator/welder than you can sas the vehicle yourself, if not you will have to have somebody do it for you and that will cost even more money.

In my opinion, to have a good offroad rig you need armor, gearing, lockers, and good tires.
Depending on your needs will determine if you want to sas it or not.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I think it is one of those things because every one else does it.

Really cool thing to do as far as removing the IFS and installing the Solid Axle

If your really going to go out and hammer your truck the Solid Axle has less parts to break.

The real reason I think is so they can be like those J**P people .

Really it all comes down to just what you really need.

I had solid axle trucks now they are all IFS
Old 05-03-2014, 10:44 AM

If you are in western Washington you should join us on one of our trail runs. Some of us have IFS and some of us have solid front axles. Here is the link to the thread.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f48/...66/index8.html
Old 05-04-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by helipilot77
If you are in western Washington you should join us on one of our trail runs. Some of us have IFS and some of us have solid front axles. Here is the link to the thread.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f48/...66/index8.html
Thanks man. Right now I'm just a stock 93 at the moment but would love to come out and play sometime.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 PM

I love both. I've had solid axle trucks that I could jump, slide, and haul balls better than most of my ifs trucks. Over rough terrain and long fast sections even. If you have a well tuned set up and the right tire size you can go fast or throw a bigger tire on and crawl. That's why I prefer my solid front axle. Granted I have way more into it than I would an ifs set up. I use crawler mode more anyway 8)
Old 05-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 904_runner
I prefer a straight axle for simplicity and strength over ifs. Yes you will most likely have to replace the driveline, because most of the time when you sas a truck it moves the axle forward, plus you have to factor in the travel the axle will have. with ifs the front diff doesn't move, with a sfa it will, so you will most likely have to have a long slip front driveline, have your cv clearanced or switch to a non cv front shaft. If you are a good fabricator/welder than you can sas the vehicle yourself, if not you will have to have somebody do it for you and that will cost even more money.

In my opinion, to have a good offroad rig you need armor, gearing, lockers, and good tires.
Depending on your needs will determine if you want to sas it or not.
Woah. He's back from the dead..