84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Where to get clutch fork boot.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to get clutch fork boot.

The one that goes to the side of the bellhousing. The one I have now is old and cracking.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Marlincrawler has them.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:11 PM

Yeah they do. But for some reason I just dont want to give them any more of my money.
I found the parts they sale can be had elsewhere for way cheaper. the rebuild kits they sale for over 300 can be had for 99..

So any where but there.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Toyota Dealer
Old 03-18-2014, 04:12 PM

found a few of them on Ebay for 7 bucks free shipping, and amazon for 10 free 2 day shipping. marlin is like 15 plus shipping
Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merace19
Yeah they do. But for some reason I just dont want to give them any more of my money.
I found the parts they sale can be had elsewhere for way cheaper. the rebuild kits they sale for over 300 can be had for 99..

So any where but there.
Something wrong with Marlin? My tranny, short shifter, boots, all working great from them...
Old 03-19-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get most of my parts from Marlin because I like them and they give me stickers...that being said dealer would probably be cheaper.

Side note, Marlin is in the same state as I am, and I ordered via FedEx ground and it showed up the day after I ordered it, so that was pretty rad.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Companies are in business to make a profit .

It is always the buyers option to buy from who ever they want.

I also Like Marlin Being on the East Coast I don`t buy much but there customer service is great by me.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Menel
Something wrong with Marlin? My tranny, short shifter, boots, all working great from them...
They are priced higher than I can get elsewhere. For the same item...

Last edited by merace19; 03-19-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm for getting a deal wherever I can, but I also do my very best to support my local vendors and Toy specific(ish) companies. Marlin has been around a long time, and they carry the best quality components. I have never had an issue with a single thing I got from them. Clutches, slave cylinders, master cylinders, bearing kits, etc. I can always trust that I am getting high quality parts for anything on my truck.

I realize Wyo is right in stating that you can buy wherever you choose. But there a re a few varying opinions on here. And I believe most of us are firm Marlin supporters. He is a pioneer in rock crawling and a great guy. Since they have gotten very busy in the last few years, the response times have increased a bit, but you know you're getting the best.

As an example... My W56B trans is gonna need some work soon. My local shops are quoting me around $700-$1000 to rebuild it. Marlin wants close to $1000 for a rebuilt one, plus shipping and core and any upgrades. Needless to say, I am going Marlin. I KNOW Marlin will use Japanese bearings and anything wrong will be replaced and I will have peace-of-mind, and that is invaluable to me. I'd rather pay another few hundred bucks and know I won't have to worry about the trans ever again...
Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll give you an example of why you should support vendors like Marlin. They not only provide a product, they provide knowledge. Knowledge is what keeps this hobby/sport going. Marlin knows everything about Toyota's, especially the early trucks and 4 runners.

There was a vendor in the Land Cruiser community called Man-a-fre that supplied very specific parts for the 40,55,60, 80 series Land Cruisers. People complained that there prices were too high. Well it sent this internet wave of bad press there way and before long they could no longer operate as a business. Once they were gone, people realized that Man-a-Fre not only provided hard to find parts, but real solid knowledge. That knowledge void has still not healed itself today. People finally realized that knowledge of the product is key, not just the product itself. Marlin provides knowledge of the product.

So buy where you want, but remember, Amazon will never be able to provide the knowledge Marlin provides on products. There always bringing new parts to market and that keeps these trucks on the road...
Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 AM

I got the part at a local toyota dealer cause they could get it next day. 15.83 for it.
Can not beat that. Plus during lunch they provide free subway and drinks.. So I got part and ate lunch.

I remember man-a-fre... also.

I dont mind paying extra for something that is THEIR design or product. But this product is a common item. With Marlins buying power, their buying price is way less. Kinda like a auto shop getting parts cheaper. They should offer better price than local dealer..

other than that I dont have any issue with them. My money is just so tight lately I am pinching a penny till Lincoln screams.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:00 PM

Marlin gets $15.66 for a genuine Toy boot. That's cheaper than the dealer...
Old 03-20-2014, 05:08 PM

On items such as these marlin should be at to offer it at a much lower price. Not a few cents. Then shipping is at least 8 bucks.

I just have my trans completely rebuilt at local shop. 250 for parts to include new shift forks and syncros and Japanese bearings and all the gaskets. He charged 150 to put all of it in.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 PM

Good deal. Hope it works well. Let me know if its all good. I live in South Tenn, and I'm about 6 hrs away. I have friends in Mobile and if it's a good, solid, and complete rebuild, I would drive it to him for a rebuild and wait a day and bring it back. See if you can get us some pics of the bearing kit as well.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:57 PM

This guy has been building trans his whole life. And I took trans out and brought it to him left it on a Thursday. And got it back Tuesday . Mostly cause he had to order the shift rail and fork. The new fork they sent has bolt that holds it to shaft. The old one is a roll pin. And the hole was not in same spot. I putting it back in this weekend.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:13 AM

I did not post this to bash marlin. I just wanted a different place to get a part. When asked why, I told.

I have taken a G54 down to the intermediate plate and could have done the rebuild myself. Its not that hard. Once I got use to what part did what its very simple.
Toyota builds some of the best gear sets and shafts so those are most likely good. Even my syncros where in great shape. Mine was grinding going in to 1st and these gear teeth had no wear at all from it. Dont know why, guess the metal is just that dang hard. I saw the bearings go in but did not think to take a pic of them. Trans man asked which bearings I wanted. He said there is a cheaper set or best set. 30 bucks separated to two. I no longer see The magic that marlin does inside these transmissions. As toyota was the real magician when they built it. They used real good stuff.
I know inside of a trans is scary to most, hell it was scary to me. I never took one apart like that before.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by merace19
found a few of them on Ebay for 7 bucks free shipping, and amazon for 10 free 2 day shipping. marlin is like 15 plus shipping
So when does your order arrive?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
So when does your order arrive?
I assume you asked to be sarcastic, since it was clear I got it at a dealer a few post up. Mostly cause I did not want to wait for shipping, and I got a free lunch out of the deal.. Since sometimes 2 day turns into 6 day or worse. And when i got the part I could go, "yeap thats it" or "hey I dont think I got the right one", and the parts counter guy right there to help.

Again did not want to bash marlin. But maybe they need to see that they can improve what they are doing. Thats how businesses stay around.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why would Marlin buy the boot and turn around and sell it for a loss?

Marlin is not in the Business to compete with Amazon or Ebay.

You've missed the point to all of this. Toyota does not discount parts so another company can resale the same parts and make a profit off off their discount, nor does anyone else. Makes no business sense. Marlin sells the boot at a real competitive price.

Don't try and preach about how a business should operate to stay around. The entire concept is lost on you...

Quick Reply: Where to get clutch fork boot.