YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 84-85 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

torque rod ?

what is the purpose of a torque rod (85 forerunner). Is it alright to take it off for an off road vehicle, maybe some road driving but not over 55 mph.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socsmm6 View Post
what is the purpose of a torque rod (85 forerunner). Is it alright to take it off for an off road vehicle, maybe some road driving but not over 55 mph.
I believe it's also called a 'Anti-Dive' bar and my understanding is that it's supposed to help a stock rig maintain control when under hard braking conditions. I have seen people who have lifted their rigs and taken it off completely (mounting and all!)

If I am mistaken, please someone else hop on the soap box!

John
Mods: 4" TG 47" Front Springs w/ 5" Shackles, 3.5" Super Lift Rear Springs w/ 6" Shackles, TG Cross Over, TG Shock Hoops, 15x8 "Outlaw I" rims, 33x12.50 R15 BFG MT KM's, Doestch Tech 12" DT3000 shocks (4 corners), Custom Front Driveshaft w/ 12" Slip yoke & CV joint ground for higher angle, Toyota Fiberglass front fenders, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, SR5 Cluster

My World:
My 1985 4Runner's Profile
My Car Domain Page.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

If your going to lift your truck remove it, you won`t need it.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

where is the torque rod located??
Old 04-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

it bolts from the front axle to the frame on the driver side. I heard it protects the push pull type steering from breaking. I was looking at lifting the 4runner and putting high steer on it. thanks for the reply
Old 04-20-2007, 06:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

VolcomCO
If you take it off and make a quick panic stop, your truck will turn right very hard, putting you in the other lane or off the road.

High steer takes care of that and the torque rod and bracket are removed.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to deserttoy84
So if im leaving the push pull and lifting like 2 inches i should still use it? I actualy want to know where you get bushings for it. The bushing kits dont have that torque rod.
Home made On-board air system
V6 4.88 lock rites F & R
Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks
Old 04-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Good idea to keep it on, helps with steering under braking as noted on the road. Also helps to protect the stock draglink/j-arm from extreme stresses off road. You can get a bracket to raise the axle bracket for the lift or get an adjustable draglink which will also help prevent stress on the j-arm under axle droop conditions:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspension.shtml#PhaseI

Click the image to open in full size.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
Old 04-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
Good idea to keep it on, helps with steering under braking as noted on the road. Also helps to protect the stock draglink/j-arm from extreme stresses off road. You can get a bracket to raise the axle bracket for the lift or get an adjustable draglink which will also help prevent stress on the j-arm under axle droop conditions:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspension.shtml#PhaseI

Click the image to open in full size.
However, this is only true if the Stock Push/Pull is kept correct? As stated before, Cross Over will eliminate these stresses when the Draglink setup is removed?

John
Mods: 4" TG 47" Front Springs w/ 5" Shackles, 3.5" Super Lift Rear Springs w/ 6" Shackles, TG Cross Over, TG Shock Hoops, 15x8 "Outlaw I" rims, 33x12.50 R15 BFG MT KM's, Doestch Tech 12" DT3000 shocks (4 corners), Custom Front Driveshaft w/ 12" Slip yoke & CV joint ground for higher angle, Toyota Fiberglass front fenders, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, SR5 Cluster

My World:
My 1985 4Runner's Profile
My Car Domain Page.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV24BY View Post
However, this is only true if the Stock Push/Pull is kept correct? As stated before, Cross Over will eliminate these stresses when the Draglink setup is removed?

John
Correct, with crossover steering, you eliminate the weak stock j-arm and short drag link that is subject to the axle windup and replace it with a long drag link that is parallel to the axle and thus nearly immune to axle rolling under braking.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club

Last edited by 4Crawler; 08-15-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

you can get the bushing kit from NAPA.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1985, 22r, 4runner, 85, btacket, bushings, connecting, high, lift, purpose, remove, rod, rods, specs, steer, torque, toyota