84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

surges when floored

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
surges when floored

22r with carb.....starts and idles fine, drive somewhat ok but not much power. if i hold the gas to the floor (in neutral) it will speed up to about 3-4k rpm and stumble for a few seconds and continue to keep doing this. if i let off the gas it resumes idling as normal.it really sprays quite a bit of gas up through the carb when floored. i have tried about everything with no luck.egr ,pcv,fuel filter, fuel pump, aux. accelerater pump, tried another carb.changed the coil, vac advance appears to be working, compression 175# timing reads correct. any thoughts before i drive it to the salvage yard?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:15 PM

As a rule, if you are holding the gas steady and the rpm are going up and down, there is a vac leak. Intake vac leak.

I would try spraying a little carb cleaner around the intake manifold, base of the carb. Listen for a change in the rpms.

FYI,
I bought 15 foot of vac line and replaced almost all the vac lines in the motor area. Made quite a bit of differance in the running of the motor. Vac lines when they get old can get soft and collapes when vac runs through them. Slide off things, get nicks what ever.

Thats my guess.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:01 AM

it seems as though all the fuel that sprays up out of the carb isn't normal. the cover to the air cleaner is dripping with gas after flooring it a few times. kinda seems like restricted exhaust maybe but the black smoke really blows out a few feet. i'll check the hoses again with the spray.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:03 PM

wow this problem sounds familiar i had this problem with my 22r too. same thing. and replaced just about everything just like you did. someone else did too and got a vac line diagram from somewhere and found his vac lines were switched up a little and after that was corrected his ran fine. i replaced my vac lines like 8422r4runner told me to a while back and it ran better but it was still there. i advanced my timing and tuned up my idle to as some 'haters' call it "masking the problem" whatever, it worked for me and im not stalling at intersections anymore if you find a cure tell me
Old 06-03-2006, 01:08 AM

Have the hood open, top off the air fliter so you can see the top of carb. When it start to blow black, shut it off and look to see if gas is still flowing into the carb.

If that is the case the float and what not are messed up. A rebuild should fix it.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:52 AM

i'll try that. although i changed the carb and had the exact same results. the fuel level sight glass remains steady through all rpms. i'm going to remove the muffler today just to see if it;s a exhaust restriction problem to rule that out. i also have put a air test on each cylinder to check for a head gasket leak , but that held up ok as no air was blowing back through the carb. i have not changed the "ignighter"part of the coil yet, could that play any part in this or the vaccum canisters?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:42 PM

I don't think it's the ignighter. Once the motor is running it's not doing much, its running off other eletrical parts. The black smoke you talk about suggests more of a flooding problem...well to me and what I seen. Did you change out the base gasket when you changed out the carbs. Again thinking vac leak.

Do you have access to a timming light?
if yes start the rig hook up the leads to the battery, then hook the lead on #1, let the light flash for at least 30 seconds, if there are no missed flashes move the timming lead to #2 spark plug, again hold the light for at least 30 seconds looking for a missing flash. Do that to all 4 plugs.

A spark plug wire can work some times and not others thats why I say for at least 30 seconds. A occasional miss from a sprk plug wire can cause a lot of power loss.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:56 PM

well i replaced a bunch of hose with no luck and did the carb cleaner test again. rechecked every thing again and changed the carb again. i discovered today that setting the timing at 12 and beyond that it has more power and will at least run at 55-60. the more i moved the timing the better it gets.and it still starts ok