84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Suggestions on fueling issues with my 84

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions on fueling issues with my 84

Hey guys, having some issues with my truck. To begin, its an 84 2wd 22r and is a California model emission setup.

Current problem. Truck will idle and drive for a min or so from cold start, then it suddenly dies. If I try and give it gas is just bogs till it comes to a stop. When I try and restart it it is very hard and if it does fire it runs for a second and then will not start anymore. After I wait for a bit, I can restart it and it will idle only, if I try and drive it same thing happens again. I did notice when I start it, the sight glass fills to half way mark, then slowly drains, until all you can see is fuel dripping inside the sight glass.

Parts that have been replaced so far/along with service performed:

New fuel filter (not the filter inside the tank)
New fuel pump
Egr passage cleaned (it was plugged up)
All vacuum hoses checked and in good shape.
New Carb from CarbX installed yesterday
All fuel lines blown out with compressed air
Ensured electric choke with working correctly

Kinda stumped on whats causing this issue. The truck did sit for about 5 years, so my only thought now is to drop the tank and take a look inside to see if that filter inside the tank is clogged causing a restriction in the fuel flow. The pump does pump fuel, as i tested it with a clear bottle. It seemed like enough but I dont have another truck to compare with.

I have tried searching endless times for people with similar problems, but most other issues are due to a bad float on a dirty carb. In my case, I have a new carb so I know it has to be something else.

Thanks in advance to your suggestions, as I really need help getting this sorted out.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:14 PM

Did it have the same issue with the old carb?
Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have seen the filter in the tank get a build up on them to where fuel can barely flow. Here is one possibility. The tanks get bad in some of these trucks. The filter can still be bought from Toyota at a reasonable price. What one of mine looked like in the past.
Name:  fuelcleaned.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  82.1 KB

Part number if you want it.
Name:  fuelfilterpartnumber.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  93.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-21-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bhaithc
I did notice when I start it, the sight glass fills to half way mark, then slowly drains, until all you can see is fuel dripping inside the sight glass.
This statement suggest that your float valve is not operating correctly. When the fuel level drops well below the sight glass, fuel should be pouring in, not dripping in. From your description, I'd look at the float circuit as the potential problem.

A low fuel level will affect all fuel circuits within the carburetor.

Last edited by slow-mo; 10-25-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:54 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The fuel pump drives off the Cam did you check to see the drive is not spinning on the cam. The new pump was installed correct.

Poor quality new fuel pump.

As suggested float level in the carb.

This ethanol gas is brutal to the fuel system the tank filter could be blocked.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:55 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I ended up being the filter in the tank along with the metal pickup lines being clogged up. The tank didnt have rust but alot of black sediment and slime all over it. I cleaned the entire fuel system, tank and lines and now it runs great. Still having issues getting it to pass smog but now that it actually runs, I can get a tech to diagnose the smog issue.

Thanks again