84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Steering Box of 85 Diesel Pickup compared to 85 Gas Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Box of 85 Diesel Pickup compared to 85 Gas Pickup

Question One:
Will a 22r (gasoline) steering box be the same as a 2L or 2L-T (Diesel) steering box, on an 85 4wd truck. I am thinking about swapping one out (If that is the source of the problem)

...it seems that since they have the same body and wheels, that it would have the same steering mechanisms, even though they are different engines... right?

Question Two:
i have a problem with my steering on my 85 turbodiesel p/u. I turn the steering one way to the right and it turns fine, i turn it to the left and for about 30 degrees of turning radius the steering does not turn, but it begins turning the wheels after about 30 degrees. so theres a space of turn on the steering wheel that has no effect on the turn of the tires until it turns past a certain point.

Am i correct that this is a problem with the steering box?
Old 06-28-2015, 06:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I had my steering box rebuilt but, the steering box wasn't the problem, the drag link was bad and had to be rebuilt also. I did the job in 30 minutes.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE ignition timing

Starting, with AFM equiped models air fuel ratio can be determined by this meter specifically this meter changes the fuel ratio. In an ignition timing standpoint, my 3.0 was set to a base timing of 25 degrees from a stock 10 degrees.Where this meter was set to compansate this advance a richer mixture was selected by releasing spring tension on this meter indicating to the ECU a needed increased in fuel where the throttle body still controls overall airflow. I found actually retarding it back caused an overly rich mixture hurting performance, this is because the air flow meter spring tension was relieved down to allow for a richer air fuel.I have also installed a aftermarket intake resulting in an increase in air flow. The goal is to reduce combustion temperatures while not sacrificing power this is especially hard dealing with the cross over exhaust of the 3.0, hence blown head gaskets.to avoid these temperatures an increase in fuel is used in conjunction with an advance in timing to boost the motors performance will still burning all the fuel. I have also thought increasing fuel pressure, and or running a heavier oil to boost compression also play factors into achieving peak power from a stock motor. EGRs don't help with intake air temperature either. Fuel cools, you must completely burn the mixture to create maximum pressure at the right time "ignition timing" to either avoid a ping from precombustion or timing to retarded or air fuel to lean. Start with timing then air fuel ratio may even be smartest to buy a afs to determine.