84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Running Cold and High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Running Cold and High Idle

Being in AZ running cold isn’t a usual problem. The truck runs great, starts up fine and had been getting decent MPG. But now that it has turned cold here it is a bit of a problem. There is a stop light near my house where the truck usually drops off of high idle and the temp gauge is usually sitting at just a bit below the halfway mark. Now the gauge barely gets to a quarter ways up the gauge and it won’t come off high idle at all. The only thing that has changed is the weather. I searched here for this problem but didn’t find anything like this.

The truck is a bone stock base model carbed 22R. The thermostat is a 180 if I recall and not very old. The water level is where it should be, it still runs great and there were no overheating issues during the summer, or now.

I did have this issue with a 81 Corolla Wagon I have and all I could think of doing then was placing a sheet of AL in from of the radiator – covering about a quarter of the rad. But that doesn’t solve the problem it was just a band aid.

Any thoughts on what I should check?
Old 12-18-2016, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What rpm is it idling at when you are at a stop light? What rpm does it idle at when first cold started? Does the gauge go up to near 1/2 and then go back down to 1/4 and stay there or does it never go to 1/2?
Old 12-18-2016, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by I8URSVT
What rpm is it idling at when you are at a stop light? What rpm does it idle at when first cold started? Does the gauge go up to near 1/2 and then go back down to 1/4 and stay there or does it never go to 1/2?
What rpm is it idling at when you are at a stop light?
No tach, but well over 1000, maybe 1200 to 1500.

What rpm does it idle at when first cold started?
Can’t say for sure but it seems like less than the stop light idle.

Does the gauge go up to near 1/2 and then go back down to 1/4 and stay there or does it never go to 1/2?
During the cold weather (40s and 50s are cold for here) it has not gone to 1/2. It gets up to about 1/8 and that’s it. Before that it normally ran at a hair below 1/2.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:51 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Clean the sensors, bimetal valve, and inspect the carb linkage. Likely the linkage is stuck since it doesn't get used a lot. Assuming all of that is fine there is a problem with the cooling system, fan clutch or thermostat need checked.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Clean the sensors, bimetal valve, and inspect the carb linkage. Likely the linkage is stuck since it doesn't get used a lot. Assuming all of that is fine there is a problem with the cooling system, fan clutch or thermostat need checked.
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Today was a bit warmer here and it did run a bit warmer on the temp gauge. Enough so that the idle was normal after a while.