84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Overdrive Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OD comes on too early

Originally Posted by affekonig
Hi everybody. I'm having this same issue with my recently acquired 85 4Runner auto.... OD button doesn't seem to do anything, ... this shifting issue is really, really bugging me.

Here's the full description - 1-2-3 shifts seem fine, especially when cold, but it will shift into OD early and chug/vibrate/turn into an even bigger turd WAYYY too early and won't downshift unless I shift manually into 2 (OD button has no effect). This is what this thread was interesting at first - I was thinking about disabling OD as that makes it liveabe. The other problem is that the truck won't downshif to accelerate. I have adjusted the throttle/kickdown cable with no noticeable change. I've also ohmed the TPS and everything seemed fine. There may have been one reading out of whack, but I didn't have the correct feeler gauge and was using a gift card (.051 if I remember right). Ah, all this and I have no reverse lights.

Thoughts?
And I was hoping for some insight, but this was the last post from years ago...
I just bought a 85 long bed EFI auto 4x4. haven't done the diagnostics yet, but I'm searching forums to get a clue where to start (PO is totally clueless)- I bought this truck for many reasons but I was hoping to get better gas mileage than my way more comfortable V8 ZJ (Grand Cherokee) 4x4. Going 20 miles up a mountain in second is killing everything.
Help!
Old 05-23-2015, 02:38 PM

Where H-E-dbl Hockeysticks is the OD relay???

So where is the OD relay on '85 2.4 EFI pickup 4x4 auto?
The FSM and other sources like
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...953128010.html
name different locations. I tore my dash apart and cant find anything. NO juice going to OD switch on shifter. the relay is supposedly default on and the switch makes a ground connect that breaks the circuit and turns OD off. I am having the same issue where OD shifts from 3 early and downshifts go to 2. On mountain roads, that's deadly. If I could could just find the relay...
Its not on peddle bracket- that's where a big black box marked "buzzer" is
It's not on pass side under kick panel above ECU- that's the Circuit Open relay for EFI (numbers checked out 85910).
I pulled ECT out, and wires from ECT and OD main switch (as its called in FSM) disappear under sound deadening and rubber floor mat (I wish to avoid disturbing 30 year old floor material). The only other place I haven't checked was pulling instrument panel (aka "combination meter") because I couldn't get eyes on connectors and didn't want to force or possibly break something.
somebody suggested it was below the speedo.
can I get a second opinion?
does anyone really know where the OD relay (part # 86531) is located on a 85 Pickup 4x4 Auto w EFI?
has anybody seen one?
it's like my truck. I call it "Nessie" (the Loch Ness monster)- like Bigfoot, you've heard about 'em but never really seen one :-)
Old 06-14-2015, 04:08 PM

85 4x4 Auto OD problem

HI
better late than never huh? Maybe the original poster got it sorted and didn't update the solution???
Thx, pal.
I just recently bought a 85 long bed 22RE 4x4.
I test drove it on the flat land around LA and everything worked fine until I got to the mountains (Big Bear).
I had the same problem going up (almost 20 miles!) where 1-2 shifts fine until 2-3 then goes right into OD (4th). OD main switch didn't turn OD off so I was either luggin in 4th or kickdown to 2nd and revvin to high heaven, about to kill the recently rebuilt 22RE.
Short answer? Find somebody local who knows these things. Avoid pullin' your hair out. There is so much conflicting info on the 'net (including these forums), even the FSM wont match if the tranny was swapped out years ago. The side plate that reads 3080LE doesn't help. Toyota changed stuff every year it seems. If it was electrical, it would have been fixed by now. The big snag for me is there wasn't even a solenoid relay anywhere! (also the under dash wiring matches 87 schematic. go figger...) VIN is Feb 85 build, so... I tore that thing apart! Much confusing info on the 'net but the closest I can come to the truth is the AT behind a mid eighties 22RE in a pickup 4x4 is the A340F. That's what the book says anyway. Google A340F and find all kinds of good stuff!
After spending way to much time on the matter I broke down and took it to a reputable shop that's is supposed to know these trannys (Goin into an auto trans is above my pay grade - and many shops don't have a clue - if it ain't in their book, it doesn't exist). The data says that 85% of PUs sold in the 80s were 5 speeds so we got ourselves a unicorn here.
The shop in question did electrical diagnostic (through the OD light connector) then ascertained that all the electrics were OK so it had to be mechanical. Before I went into the shop, I pulled the TPS and manually shifted getting the same result when I went into D (there was no use pullin' the ECT because I wasn't getting 3rd gear long enough anyway). The shop pulled the valve body - there were stuck valves so they will be replaced along with a solenoid kit (available somewhere for about $200 for all three)

If you are good with auto tranny's, do the electical diagnostic - FSM info can be found at this link
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...autotrans.html

I wish it was something "easy" and "cheap" like a solenoid or even TPS, but no - these old trannys wear out so might not be a bad idea to recondition the valve body anyway. I'm hopin' that will last me another 5-10years. For a lil over $1k it better!
hope this helps
Old 11-17-2015, 08:07 AM

First post ( I might have missed an introduction thread!). Anyways, I have an 85 EFI/auto trans 4x4 pickup with similar shifting issues outlined in this thread. I plan on using the info here in this thread to find/fix the source of my troubles. I will post back. I will be making another thread/build thread as I sort through the numerous small issues my "project" has!