84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

No compression on 3&4 1985 22R

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 07:23 AM
ZXT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No compression on 3&4 1985 22R

Hey everyone, bought an 85 pickup with a 22R last night. Picking it up on Friday after the guy cleans his stuff out of it.

Truck is clean and the PO kept meticulous service records for it. He said he was driving it a few months ago, and all the sudden it started running horrible so he limped it home. Took it to a shop and they told him it has no compression on cyl 3 and 4. Previous to this, he had been having to add coolant to it regularly. No antifreeze in the oil. Smells fine.

He drained the coolant out of it to prevent water from getting into the cylinders and It has been sitting since then. We attempted to start it but it wouldn't. It cranked uneven, which would be expected on an engine with no compression.

We assume the head gasket is the culprit. About 80,000 or so miles ago, he got it warm and had a new head and chain put on it by a local import shop. I'm wondering if maybe they failed to torque the bolts properly or didn't install new ones.

How likely is it that the head is warped? If I were to have it surfaced, would I have to break the head completely down or can a machine shop do it with the head assembled? I've changed plenty of gaskets on iron head engines, but never aluminum.

Do I have to pull the front cover to change the gasket or can I get the cam gear off without doing that?

Sorry for the long and rambled post. Just getting a game plan going.

I bought a entire gasket and head bolt set last night, so that's out of the way.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 AM

I called a head place and they told me to remove the camshaft and rocker assembly as well as the plate at the back. I did not need to remove the valves.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 PM
ZXT

Originally Posted by Obmi
I called a head place and they told me to remove the camshaft and rocker assembly as well as the plate at the back. I did not need to remove the valves.
That's what I was hoping. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-11-2015, 10:03 AM
ZXT

Originally Posted by ZXT
That's what I was hoping. Thanks for the info!
Pulled the head off, had it surfaced and put it back on. Cost $60 to have it surfaced.

Only took about an hour and a half to get it off, but installing all of the pipes that bolt to be back of the head took over an hour itself.

Engine runs great now. It has 223k miles, and it still has the cross hatching in the cylinders. No ring groove to speak of.

The PO kept meticulous service records, going as far to indicate whenever he added water to the battery.