84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

No blinkers, engine not running right.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No blinkers, engine not running right.

HI there guys im about to pull my hair out, so long story short i had an 88 4runner that i converted to a 22re efi turns out piggy backing the 22re harness onto the 3.0 didnt go as well as i planned, would run fine but a bug in the harness prevented the timing from advanceing when i accelerated and retarding when i shorted the check connector. so on the side i found an 85 4runner efi bought it for 2000$ in amazing condition, the 22re that i have is built. has a 261 cam, bored 20.over, cold air intake gm 1 wire, header and the all that good jaz, now i know it runs. i swapped it with the 22re that was in the 85. which was in running condition just leaked oil pretty badly. and now my blinkers dont work and its not running like it should. it shakes when it idles and no its not the cam it lopes in the exaust but never rocked the other truck it was in before. and when you push the gas it has a very slight stumble. under load it has less power then the stock 22re that came out of it. it has new tps, new knock sensor new distributor new ignitor swapped ecus put new ground wires and im about out of ideas, has no check engine lights i cleared all of them thinking they were the problem. any help would be GREATLY appreciated thanks guys!
Old 11-16-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
So you said you cleared the codes but have you had it running long enough to trip new ones? What codes were you tripping before you cleared them? We're the codes after you swapped motors? I would assume so as having the battery unhooked for more than a few minutes will clear them. Have you gone through your grounds in the engine compartment? I.e. Clean and replace them where needed? Did you change the fuel filter? Since it's a 4Runner and it's easy to do, have you pulled the access hatch under the back seat and checked to make sure the fuel pump screen isn't completely clogged in the tank? Is the TPS adjusted properly? When you set the timing did the idle step down when you jumped the diagnostic port before you set the timing? There are different sensors between the years of motors. Did you swap all the 85 ones on to the new motor, (i.e. all the electrical crap on the plenum and the top of the motor)?

You didnt give us a lot of information in the post so I am asking a lot of basic questions you probably already covered. Not trying to sound condescending. It's just the more information you give us the easier it is to help you.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 11-16-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
There is a relay in the drivers kick panel, check to see if it is making a good connection or is functioning correctly. I have seen the kick panel cover missing and the relay can get bumped. Check that the bulb connectors in the blinkers sockets are not corroded and bulb and ground is in good shape.

I deleted your other thread just to keep everything in one area. It is kind of confusing on which truck you are talking about and the issues you are having.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for all the advice guys much love! turns out one of the injectors plastic clip had backed off and the contacts were not touching so i was down an injector! but on the bright side thanks to all of your input i now have new grounds and new relays and a bunch of other new parts that i replaced trying to fix it lol. thanks again guys!!