84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

need help finding circuit breaker

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help finding circuit breaker

I have an 84 4Runner. I lost power to the windows, rear window, wiper.

It seems there is a relay and a circuit breaker next to the fuse panel. If I remove the breaker and jumper the circuit with some wire, everything works again.

So I guess that narrows it down 2 issues (I think)

1.) breaker is bad
2.) short in the wiring somewhere.

I purhcased a new relay anyway and Im trying to locate the breaker.

It is yellow and has " 82650-35010" as the part number

12/24v20A below that.

I tried 2 parts stores and cant find it. I did a google search and it came up with a weird DIY site with no pics of the part or anything.

any idea where i could find this? or anyone think maybe im wasting time and its not the breaker?

Last edited by atom631; 02-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:11 PM

here is where the breaker goes, you can see the yellow breaker. above it is where the relay goes, in this pic he is jumping the relay to bypass having to turn the ignition on.

here is a pic of the breaker:

Old 02-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you hear the relay making any noise at all? The relay for the rear window and wiper is located in the driver's side side panel between the front and rear seats. It's about three by three inches.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:15 PM

When I jump the breaker with the wire, I definetly hear a clicking noise I can only assume is the rear behind the drivers seat.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by atom631
When I jump the breaker with the wire, I definetly hear a clicking noise I can only assume is the rear behind the drivers seat.
If you hear it clicking, then the relay is still working. So the fault must be somewhere else. Sorry, but it does save you some time knowing you don't have to pull the panel and buy a new relay.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:03 PM

Do you think I'm wasting time trying to replace the breaker?

I can't figure out what else it could be. Everything works if I bypass it...so its either bad or being tripped by a short or a grounding issue. Am I correct in my thinking?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM

Do you think I'm wasting time trying to replace the breaker?

I can't figure out what else it could be. Everything works if I bypass it...so its either bad or being tripped by a short or a grounding issue. Am I correct in my thinking?
No, it must be the breaker. What I meant was that, if you can hear everything working beyond the breaker when it's tripped, then the problem must be that breaker. Sorry for the confusion. It's just that I learned the hard way not to pull things apart unless absolutely necessary. A breaker has got to be cheaper than a relay.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:38 PM

So any idea where I can get a breaker? It seems the auto parts stores don't carry it. Do you think a toyota dealer service center would have it?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 PM

So any idea where I can get a breaker? It seems the auto parts stores don't carry it. Do you think a toyota dealer service center would have it?
Don't thank me until you find one that matches because looking through all these gives me a headache:
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/Page_...onentsIndex=13
Old 02-14-2011, 07:25 PM

If you can't find it by part #, give them a call. I know it's difficult trying to determine which breaker is which without pictures!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Guyechka
If you hear it clicking, then the relay is still working. So the fault must be somewhere else. Sorry, but it does save you some time knowing you don't have to pull the panel and buy a new relay.
Well, maybe, maybe not. There are two parts to the relay, there is the coil that gets magnetized when current flows through it. This magnetic field pulls in the iron bar attached to the contacts and that makes the click you hear. So if a click is heard, at leas the relay coil is intact and still working. But, the actual contacts might be pitted or dirty and not actually making an electrical contact.

Have you tried jumping the relay that is clicking?

Also, at least on my '85, aside from the relay and breaker that turn on with the ignition switch, there are no other relays in the power window system (aside from the rear window). The front power windows all work with the switches in both doors. Passenger side is one switch but is interlocked with the driver's side switch. Switches are prone to failure:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#WindowSwitch
Old 02-15-2011, 02:09 AM

4crawler: I haven't messed with the rear relay yet. I have been trying to eliminate all posibilites before I start tearing the panels apart.

When I leave that front relay in (which plugs in above the yellow breaker) and I use a piece of wire to jump the 2 contacts where the breaker plugs in, I hear the "click". Once I hear that click, I know everything is working. I secure the jumper-wire in place and I have power to both front windows and the rear window.

This is what leads me to believe the relay behind the drriver seat and the relay above the breaker are good. Although, the relay above the breaker gets hot to the touch.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you know if u stick a pin or something in that hole on the circuit breaker it resets it
Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 AM

Found a breaker this morning, replaced and the windows are working. The wiper still isn't. Not sure when that actually stopped...but I know it did before this all started.

Any ideas on that? Also, the relay above the breaker does get overly warm to the touch after a while. Is this normal?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
4crawler: I haven't messed with the rear relay yet. I have been trying to eliminate all posibilites before I start tearing the panels apart.

When I leave that front relay in (which plugs in above the yellow breaker) and I use a piece of wire to jump the 2 contacts where the breaker plugs in, I hear the "click". Once I hear that click, I know everything is working. I secure the jumper-wire in place and I have power to both front windows and the rear window.

This is what leads me to believe the relay behind the drriver seat and the relay above the breaker are good. Although, the relay above the breaker gets hot to the touch.
Sounds like that relay is somewhat defective. Probably has a partial internal short or something that causes it to pull excessive current and get hot. Or there is something in the circuit pulling too much current through that relay and doing the same. Normally, when that relay gets power to turn on, there should only be 0.1 amps or so of current flowing through the coil and it should not be getting hot.