84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My NEW!!! 1985 4Runner - Prettiest 85 out there! - Warning PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ITS NOT seing dirt for quite a while. I am looking at it like this...if I drive it for 5 years, it will still have under 100,000 miles! Then I can decide to wheel it or continue to treat it like a classic car.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:45 PM

He's got some pics of ours side by side. Goes to show what a few years with me will do to a perfect 4Runner. As for the Jeep comment, its not jealous its looking on approvingly and checking its VIC to double check that it is 2004 and we havent hit a split in the space time continuium. First thing I thought when I saw it was the Back to the Future truck.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:47 PM

Just make sure you powerwash it underneath every 2weeks or so in the winter. My 88 is virtually rust free, just a spot on the front fender. I wax it often and even pull the rear wheelwell moldings to get the paint beneath. I stumbled across it by accident; a dude at U Wrench It approached me as I was climbing out of my rusty ass 85 and said he had a mint condition 88 4Runner from Texas with a bad motor- I stopped by an ATM on the way to his house and bought it less than an hour later. Had it towed home the next day.
I would've liked a clean 85 but it's so much easier to drop a supercharged 3.4 in a 3.0 equipped truck! Now it's as fast as my coworker's SS Impala and I can do mild wheeling in it with the stock setup. The next decision is whether to do an SAS on it or not since my 85 has a 5 inch lift, 4.88's R151F, locker, etc. The 85 is a pile of rust- frame, body is falling apart

BTW- I may have a complete 86 turbo motor, ECU, intercooler, etc for you in the future if you're interested as I'll be parting my 85 later this year or early next year.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:54 PM

Hey, quick hijack. Since you know engines, would you be willing to help me get my 3.0 back together. I know close to nothing about engines but can turn a wrench and am trying to pull my old heads and put new ones on. Just a shot in the dark but Im getting to the point of begging so I can drive it again.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Banned

Would you take $8500 cash for it right now?
Old 06-02-2004, 07:58 PM

What are you stumbling on? Are you still taking apart or are you putting together? I can probably steer you in the right direction. I've also got a few 3vz parts laying around- airflow meter, ECU, sensors, distributor, coil, injectors, etc.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:03 PM

Im tearing it apart right now. I'll put the heads on when they get here and the gaskets arrive too. I'm just not sure what the hell is going on. I've replaced the TPS, distributor cap and rotor, intake tubing, PCV and still have no clue whats going on. Im really not qualified on reassemblying a motor but dont have the cash to pay a mechanic to do it, Toyota wanted over $2500 to just pull the heads and put new ones on. Once back together I might want to borrow that AFM if that'd be ok to see if mine is bad or not.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by flecker
Would you take $8500 cash for it right now?
Wait 6 months...Im moving to Phoenix in December. I just told the Fiancee what I paid for it...She aint very happy
Old 06-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Banned

Don't wreck a happy home over it! $8500 cash.... I can wait 6 months.
OBTW, it only gets better after you marry them! You know why they have that huge smile when they walk down the isle??? Cause they know they never have to give you another bl@w J@b again!!! :wtf:

Last edited by flecker; 06-02-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

We need to get that thing dirty when you come out here. Very, very sweet. Although I do recommend running it by the wife the next time you do something like that!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by fpkelly
Im tearing it apart right now. I'll put the heads on when they get here and the gaskets arrive too. I'm just not sure what the hell is going on. I've replaced the TPS, distributor cap and rotor, intake tubing, PCV and still have no clue whats going on. Im really not qualified on reassemblying a motor but dont have the cash to pay a mechanic to do it, Toyota wanted over $2500 to just pull the heads and put new ones on. Once back together I might want to borrow that AFM if that'd be ok to see if mine is bad or not.
No problem. You're welcome to borrow it. I recommend using a factory service manual, a good torque wrench, and some patience. It's a PITA to build it up in the vehicle- I assume you didn't pull the motor to do all of this? Did you pull the heads because of HG failure?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:17 PM

Motor is still in the truck, I have no way to pull it. Pulled the heads because its thought that I have a burned valve on the #6. I definitely need to get a torque wrench but I do have the FSM. Unfortunately as people who know me will tell you, I lack patience in a big way.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by fpkelly
Motor is still in the truck, I have no way to pull it. Pulled the heads because its thought that I have a burned valve on the #6. I definitely need to get a torque wrench but I do have the FSM. Unfortunately as people who know me will tell you, I lack patience in a big way.
I sent you a PM-

Will
Old 06-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by PoBoy
I figured this needed a new thread. These pictures dont do it justice. This truck is brand spankning new. It has a mere 32,000 miles on it. All original parts...nothing wrong at all. It is SPANKING NEW! We think the tires are even the originals...the guy has winter tires for it even. It was stored in one of those storage facilities...so it has a bit of a stuffy smell in it. But hell...its sooooo nice. The steering wheel has been covered since day 1. 1 owner...spectacular!
As an employee of an all Toyota wrecking yard, i showed these pics to my boss and he creamed his pants. That is and absolute immaculate version of a 4runner......with a few exceptions. Dont get me wrong, I love that truck. I wish I could find one like that!!!

1.Napa radiator hose...spend the $11 for a factory hose with the intake guard built into it
2.Wiring under the hood: Aftermarket alarm?? Looks kinda poorly done.
3.Spark plug wires, cap, and presumably plugs: New factory stuff is soooo much better and not to expensive..especialyl worth it for that rig
4.Them darned lights on the front..watch those holes, they'll rust
Also, the tires aren't stock. If i remember correctly, they used BF GOodrich tires..but i dunno, i may be wrong. Sweet Rig!!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
We need to get that thing dirty when you come out here. Very, very sweet. Although I do recommend running it by the wife the next time you do something like that!

Yeah...I screwed up a little. Nothing a nice hour long conversation didnt cure though. She still isnt too happy, but she's "not mad" anymore. PLUS, she aint my wife yet. I just got back from a 4 day batchlor part in New Orleans...this capped it off IM STILL "FREE". Haha...YEAH RIGHT. Im in the dog house. But Ive had it worse Just gotta go get one of those job thinggys. Its been 6 months now...its about time Who wants to hire a software engineer?? Ill let ya take my 4Runner for a spin!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy mother of all battles. That PoBoy, is the most cherry 1st gen I've ever seen since...1985!!!

Man, I was just drooling while scrolling through your pictures. Great find my friend. I'd say "don't wheel it". Bash the heck out of your jeep, not that cherry 85!

Bob
Old 06-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Is anyone else wondering what a gem like this would go for on ebay?

Normally I would not sell a vehicle on ebay, but in this case, I believe supply and demand would run the price way up. Possibly around $10K or more. Just a thought.

(Dont get me wrong, I love it. But making a couple grand is always nice!)
Old 06-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
As an employee of an all Toyota wrecking yard, i showed these pics to my boss and he creamed his pants. That is and absolute immaculate version of a 4runner......with a few exceptions. Dont get me wrong, I love that truck. I wish I could find one like that!!!

1.Napa radiator hose...spend the $11 for a factory hose with the intake guard built into it
2.Wiring under the hood: Aftermarket alarm?? Looks kinda poorly done.
3.Spark plug wires, cap, and presumably plugs: New factory stuff is soooo much better and not to expensive..especialyl worth it for that rig
4.Them darned lights on the front..watch those holes, they'll rust
Also, the tires aren't stock. If i remember correctly, they used BF GOodrich tires..but i dunno, i may be wrong. Sweet Rig!!

Yeah...that ugly wiring is going first thing tomorrow. The guy has some crazy 1980's alarm where it just goes off if you dont turn the truck on within 12 seconds. But the siren will turn off once the truck starts. Basically its the worse alarm I have ever seen. It just makes noise and goes off constantly because I am too slow getting out of the truck. The other wiring is for a kill switch. I may leave that on, but clean it up a bit. The guy definitely didnt know much about electronics...

Good points on teh hoses and whatnot. Definitely cheap to replace...

The lights...hrmm. Im moving to AZ in 6 months...so Im thinking it'll hold back the rust till then. But they definitely arent mounted that well, so they may come off. Ive already removed the bug deflector becasue it was hitting the grill.

Tires...someone on 4x4wire said they may be the original Dunlops. The guy had winter tires as well...I guess there is a spot to check somewhere on the tire? Anyway, if they are the originals...Im taking them right off...fixing the rear sag and putting on a little bigger meats.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Is anyone else wondering what a gem like this would go for on ebay?

Normally I would not sell a vehicle on ebay, but in this case, I believe supply and demand would run the price way up. Possibly around $10K or more. Just a thought.

(Dont get me wrong, I love it. But making a couple grand is always nice!)

Thats what I am thinking too man. I was only looking for a $2k POS daily driver and I came out with this I think it may be worth the $40 ebay fee with a $10,000 starting bid price just to see. We'll see...I just needed a car for 6 months till we moved to Phoenix. I may have hit a gold mined...but is it time to collect? If I drove it for 5 years...it would still have UNDER 100,000 miles.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Tire update...we think they are the originals. Couldnt find the date on em, BUT they match the spare!

Quick Reply: My NEW!!! 1985 4Runner - Prettiest 85 out there! - Warning PICS