84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My 4Runner has newer model brakes?

Old 09-19-2015, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My 4Runner has newer model brakes?

So I bought my 4Runner two+ years ago it's a 1984 22r 5spd and the previous owner said it has the v6 brake upgrade...

From pictures and lots of googleing I'm pretty positive I have the v6 brake booster at least and only fairly sure about the master cylinder but I have a question about the calipers and rotars.

The article in the link below

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/35037-How-to-Upgrade-your-1st-Gen-Toyota-4Runner-Brakes

makes me think I have calipers off an 88-91 v6 4Runner but how
Do I know which rotars I have? My calipers has the part number: S12W And then a R3 on pass side and L3 on drivers figures it means left and right etc.

So does this mean I have to buy rotars and pads for an 88-91 v6 with ifs? Down the road? My pads are newer and rotors turned but when I brake pulls to right so wanted to order right rebuild kit for caliper etc.

Thanks. I've struggled to figure out which brakes I have so I can address the pulling issue. I replaced brakes(all compenets) along with wheel bearings and seals in rear and finally have them adjusted properly
Old 09-20-2015, 06:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you will need pads for the appropriate year V6 calipers. Your rotors are most likely from an FJ. If your truck pulls to the right when braking it could be your suspension if its lifted. Do you have a lift on the vehicle? How much? Crossover steering?
Old 09-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AustinTaco
Yes, you will need pads for the appropriate year V6 calipers. Your rotors are most likely from an FJ. If your truck pulls to the right when braking it could be your suspension if its lifted. Do you have a lift on the vehicle? How much? Crossover steering?

I have a two or 3 inch lift kit off of an earlier model pick up so I had to order different bushings etc. it only pulls to the right when I step on the brakes though not constantly while driving . The rotors that are currently on there are vented so I guess that matches up with what I read earlier . If I ordered a caliper rebuild kit for an 88 year model Toyota forerunner with that possibly fix the issue ?
Old 09-21-2015, 03:53 AM

You have the same truck as I have. Its very common that when you start lifting them, they will want to dive to the right when braking. The culprit is usually the steering setup. If you are still using the stock steering, that might be your problem. It could also be a brake system issue. Go to google and type " site:yotatech.com crossover steering pulls right" and it should pull up some info
Old 09-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Banned

You have the same truck as I have. Its very common that when you start lifting them, they will want to dive to the right when braking. The culprit is usually the steering setup. If you are still using the stock steering, that might be your problem. It could also be a brake system issue. Go to google and type " site:yotatech.com crossover steering pulls right" and it should pull up some info

Ah I see. Well consider this and let me know what ya think:

It did it before and after I rebuild my front axel, before and after I redid the drag link and before and after an alignment.

It only pulls to right when braking and when I let off it straightens out again. Im

I'll google the steering issue you talked about though.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Banned

So a good read actually... I don't have money for a 4 in lift and I don't think my 2 inch is high enough. Would putting the oem track bar and steering stabilizer help at all? My pads on pass/drivers side are plenty good and evenly worn, calipers don't leak or anything so I think it's brakes anymore lol....
Old 09-22-2015, 05:10 AM

When you redid your draglink, what did you do? A temp fix, and mine had this before I went with crossover steering, is a dropped drag link. It's a piece that spaces out the location of your draglink to other components. I want to say they call it a J arm, but I am not sure. You might be able to pick that up cheap from someone that had it, and then went to crossover steering.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:00 AM
Banned

When you redid your draglink, what did you do? A temp fix, and mine had this before I went with crossover steering, is a dropped drag link. It's a piece that spaces out the location of your draglink to other components. I want to say they call it a J arm, but I am not sure. You might be able to pick that up cheap from someone that had it, and then went to crossover steering.

To be honest all I did was rebuild the drag link. I just cleaned,replaced the components in each end, and new boots and grease. I'll take a picture and share and see what you guys think