84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Ladies Helping Their Guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It cannot be the wires because it was running before. Any spark will do, even a weak one from a junk yard.

Walk the engine over with the valve cover & distributor cap off. Draw a big white line on the crank timing mark. Try to visualize it operation as you turn it over. it has to be simple, spark is coming when the intake is open for it to back fire out the front. Could you post a video to youtube on what its doing? And some pictures of the cam and crank at TDC with the dist.?

Everything else was working when the chain failed. So please lets not chase our tails here.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:46 PM

Just curious, have you tried dumping some gas into the plenum?

Its a bit of work to hot wire the cold start injector, but it is a way to get a cap full of gas into the engine to help it light.

I know you saying the timing is right, maybe its not getting enough gas to light from the CSI?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skypilot
Just curious, have you tried dumping some gas into the plenum?

Its a bit of work to hot wire the cold start injector, but it is a way to get a cap full of gas into the engine to help it light.

I know you saying the timing is right, maybe its not getting enough gas to light from the CSI?
We bought a new fuel pump and new fuel pressure regulator so it's getting fuel. It seems that the air flow meter (AFM) was clicking like crazy. So he took the top off it and looked inside. It's clean!! Anyway he removed it and all we could see was there is about an 1/8" gap between the rod that swings from side to side above the square 'sensors(?)' Maybe like with spark plugs the gap is to big? Anyway, he didn't see anything broke and nothing appeared missing so he put it back on the truck. When we attempted to crank it so he could show me the clicking and see if I could see anything happening down inside the AFM during cranking, the clicking has totally stopped. So by removing it, the clicking has stopped and you can hear fuel squirting and whereas the computer was not sending out any codes saying anything was wrong, now the compter is spitting out the double blink (4 sec interval) code which the book says is an indicator the AFM is not working. So possibly this is the problem? He did have to crank for quite awhile to get it to start but that was the only thing prior to changing out the timing chain. Wondering if possibly the AFM was getting bad slowly and then after installing the timing chain, a new ignitor, coil, battery, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and I can't remember what else, possilby the combination just 'shocked' the AFM and 'killed it'? LOL Just throwing these ideas out there..............thanx for you help. It's going to be the most stupid silly thing when we figure it all out and it works!!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:43 AM

There is a switch in the AFM that operates the fuel pump. It is bypassed by the key in "start" position so there will be fuel pressure to start it with.

The AFM is a sealed unit, mine is still working after 300k miles. Its just a vane with an arm and a resistor on the end. As the vane opens it tells the ecu more air is coming (and keeps the fuel pump on). Its just an analog computer. It juggles voltages from various "sensors" and computes a FI pulse (square wave). Its really 1950's type computer technology.

Now did you run that compression test??
Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by skypilot
There is a switch in the AFM that operates the fuel pump. It is bypassed by the key in "start" position so there will be fuel pressure to start it with.

The AFM is a sealed unit, mine is still working after 300k miles. Its just a vane with an arm and a resistor on the end. As the vane opens it tells the ecu more air is coming (and keeps the fuel pump on). Its just an analog computer. It juggles voltages from various "sensors" and computes a FI pulse (square wave). Its really 1950's type computer technology.

Now did you run that compression test??
Didn't want to keep you waiting. He had to work today so I will ask when he gets home tonight.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bring it up to Wyoming and I will set the timing correctly for you and show why it's so easy to think the timing is on, but isn't. I realize the irony here, but sometimes a trailer is cheaper than throwing more parts at it that don't change anything. Again...it your timing.

Timing has baffled people on this forum for years. Every time they think it's right, but it's always off. Seen it thousands of times...
Old 04-25-2015, 09:00 AM

Timing: The distributor was removed, I replaced the timing chain and the guides and chain tensioner. The engine was put on TDC with rotor pointing to #1 while on compression stroke of the engine. This is right and all done.
I removed the valve cover and the lobes on the cam for #1 cylinder are both pointing at a 45* angle downward. So all is right here.
The AFM was clicking rapidly for awhile which it has never done. I removed the AFM and opened up the top and the points are not making contact when you try to crank it over. Without this happening the fuel pump isn't turning on. When I manually press them together I can hear the fuel pump engaging so I know the fuel pump is working and I did install a new one so it's working. When I reinstalled the AFM the clicking has stopped. I can't start the truck and get it running to get air into the AFM to make the fuel pump work. Only manually. The computer is blinking 2X's in code to show that the AFM is not working. So I am thinking herein is the real problem all along!!
So I don't have any idea where I can pick up an AFM in working condition. I called Auto Zone and they have them for $180+ dollars and I don't have that.
So any suggestions on this thought.
I've about had it with this whole mess. You all live so far away and I don't anyone locally who even touches Toy Trucks like mine or like any kind. I have got to get this damn truck fixed.
Coloradolady here, I had to take over the computer because hubby is royally pissed. I know everyone is doing their best to help and I appreciate all your help. He claims the timing is not the problem. So I don't know. Ok, will await y'all to tell us what to do now. Thank you so much.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:48 AM

Jimgotparts.com in Denver will have an AFM. He is a good guy and you will get the parts fast. He is a Toyota only junk yard with tons of good parts.

If you inserted the dizzy when the engine was at TDC, the timing is not right. The crank must be moved to 5* and then inserted to get the right ignition timing.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds
Jimgotparts.com in Denver will have an AFM. He is a good guy and you will get the parts fast. He is a Toyota only junk yard with tons of good parts.

If you inserted the dizzy when the engine was at TDC, the timing is not right. The crank must be moved to 5* and then inserted to get the right ignition timing.
LOL Thus the naming of this thread "Ladies Helping Their Guys" LOL I'm sorry but I have no idea what a 'dizzy' is. If I guess it's the distributor, would I be right? I like that....dizzy! LOL I'll go look up the link. Thank you
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 AM

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.jimgotparts.com.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM

http://www.jimsgotparts.com/Yoda_Jims/Home.html

Yes, Dizzy = distributor.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:42 AM

Just so y'all don't think I abandoned you, we are waiting on an AFM (air flow meter) before we can continue on the truck. Will post when we get it installed. I sure hope it solves the issue. This is getting old!! LOL Thank you to everyone being so patient and so helpful with your comments and tips. We have read each one and some I have printed out for hubby to read and keep in his truck book. You have all been a big help.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:26 AM

I sincerely wish you the best, but it still sounds like a timing issue. In 15 years of auto repair I've eaten my hat a few times professionally and as a hobbyist when it comes to diagnosis, but usually what looks, smells and feels like something is that something. I'm going to keep following this because if it turns out not to be timing I want to add that info to my knowledge base. I'll chip in if I can think of anything non-repetetively useful to add.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2015, 01:31 PM

Just keep the torch away from him. This will get resolved and then we can all have a good laugh and have a little party.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:57 AM

I haven't forgotten any of you. My husband has a job related injury that has him disabled and he is trying to work also so sometimes on his days off he is in bed. We received the AFM and installed it. Nothing. We are back to square one. Someone posted about buying all this stuff being a waste of time but atleast we know that the parts are new and we can eliminate them as being the cause of our problems. There was a nice man on here that volunteered to come take a look at the truck and assist my husband by providing a new set of eyes but it didn't work out for him. Before husband grabs the torch, I suggested that possibly we could UPS or FedEx the truck to some of you folks!! He said it might cost a little bit more than he can afford but the thought was there!! LOL So we are basically screwed and the truck sits.....all alone, staring at a torch, a hacksaw, a 9mm, a wrecking ball and a submachine gun!!! Maybe she will change her mind and start for us. You think? I think husband has given up. I am more in for the challenge. I don't believe a piece of metal with an engine and a stupid computer should be allowed to get the best of me. I think someone ask for a video of something. I don't know how to do a video but maybe I can do something with my cell phone that will show something. It would only be a short one tho. If a video or pictures, which is easier for me, will help, maybe you folks can post what you want to see and I can see if I can post it. Anything with a gasket, he won't remove because he has done this several times and he doesn't want to buy any more gaskets. He has them put on and he has that blue stuff on them so they are sealed and he won't remove them. So let me know if there is something I can share with y'all that will help you to see what we see. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but husband had to fly to Denver for a doctors appointment, he has been in a lot of pain and we are hoping Worker's Comp will approve surgery. So please forgive me. I haven't forgotten about all of you who are taking time from your lives to help us old folks. Thank you so very much...................
Old 05-16-2015, 10:19 AM

Its Ok; I'm nursing a broken leg so I know how that disability thing works out.

I understand the gasket thing too, it does become a pain in the wallet.
Could you run a compression check? Not hard pull all four plugs and screw in the gauge, record the numbers after turning the engine over.

As far as shipping goes there are companies that do that.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:00 PM

SKYPILOT......He is trying the thing with the hot wires but he told me ask you: When he unplugs the wire bundle from the cold start injector, he tries to turn the key and there is absolutely nothing. No lights, no crank, no wipers, nothing nothing!! Is this normal? Also, when he gets a switch and attaches a hot wire to it and attaches another wire as a ground wire, is he somehow hooking these up to the cold crank injector and how? Obviously we have never hot wired a car! LOLOL So when he put a tester into the wiring bundle, there shows no 'juice'. Is it suppose to register as having electricity when the tester is poked into the plug? What does he hook the hot and ground wires to, beside each end to a switch. Like where does the other ends go? We might be onto something here....he has a ray of hope in his veins!! LOL

Last edited by coloradolady; 05-19-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:03 PM

Free To Good Home........LOL

Ok, tried the hot wire thing and it melted the wires he made for the switch. Would NOT run. It still cranks but won't run. He slammed the bonnet and said that's it. He's done. He ask if I knew anyone with a 9mm. I think he's serious this time!! He's going to put the fuse back in the computer and see if it spits out any codes, after he kicks the wall, throws the tool box across the room and pisses on the truck tires. Just joking....really....JUST JOKING!!! Ok, guys, any more suggestions?
Old 05-19-2015, 03:10 PM

Computer spits out code that all is good!! There is no backfiring and will crank but not run. ?????????? All fuel injectors work!! He cleaned the cold start injector so it's clean and gas is flowing thru it.

Last edited by coloradolady; 05-19-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 PM

Ok; I pull the connector on the cold start injector all the time. All it is a quick 2 sec burst of fuel when you turn the key. Melting the wires??? Wow!

All you do is ground one terminal and touch the other with the hot lead. The injector goes click, you take the wire off and gas goes into the engine. Its literally a two second deal. When you turn the key it turns on the fuel pump bypassing the AFM switch so there is fuel pressure for the injectors to work and get fuel into the engine for it to start. Two me a week to figure that out.

I doubt he hurt it, his pride yes. But the truck no.

Quick Reply: Ladies Helping Their Guys