84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

It just won't give up!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It just won't give up!

This '85 4runner has been with me for 18 years and although I imagine I'll have to part with it someday (unless it outlasts me) and there have been a handful of times I thought I'd have to abandon it, it just keeps coming back (no complaints)!

First, there was an emissions-testing scare (failed opacity for smoke), but fresh oil and new plugs and it hasn't had another issue (well within limits).

Then there was the fuse melting phase. A fresh fuel filter preserved the EFI fuse (maybe fuel pump was drawing too much) and mounting the taillight fuse outside of the fuse block on little wire jumpers and spade connectors seemed to take care of it, for some reason.

The alternator connector hasn't been making good connection recently, but that's a simple thing, and hopefully I have it put together right this time...we'll see.

A few days ago, it was sounding kind of bad. I thought maybe an internal bearing had gone. I was feeling low and looking at classifieds ads but the next day, I had a look under the hood while it was running and noticed the water pump pulley wobbling quite a bit. Removed the belt and started it, and it ran like a sewing machine. My spirits soared as a removed the pulley, cleaned out the sludge from the inside, re-inserted the studs and carefully tightened things back up in a cross-pattern (I had replaced the water pump recently, and maybe the pulley shifted?).

I was deliberating what I could possibly replace it with, how to part with it and with which top, etc, but it just wants to keep going! Yesterday, it was chained up, clearing the 1/3 mile of access road with the V-plow trailer after winter storm Kayla, and it rescued a 2wd longbed 1500 from the parcel next door and got it back onto the county road. Everything works again, even the tailgate lock indicator light that wasn't working before. It's got quite the enduring spirit. Maybe we are meant to be like mallard ducks...paired for life.

Last edited by YoungFeller; 02-03-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I've seen you on ExPo - I just bought a 1985, reg cab, carbuerated, 5spd, 2wd long bed - the most basic truck you could find. Yet I enjoy driving it more than any of my other cars and I plan to keep it forever. It's hard to find well made trucks now that are rugged and built to be used like trucks. What helps is the parts availability for them, I hear you could even buy a brand new 22R ready to be dropped in.

Don't sell it, you'll only regret it.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You know its condition and what is needed. So much better then starting out with another truck that you don't know the history of which is usually not as good as what you have got. Sounds like most of the issues yours is having is just some maintenance that needs to be caught up on.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Stioc, that longbed sounds like a great platform. Does it have those cantilever tailgate latches on both sides, or the handle in the middle? Yep, I do play around on ExPo some. Do you have a thread?

I agree, Terry. I haven't really done much, proactively as far as maintenance goes--I just try to fix things when they stop working. It may be in my interest to change my approach. I don't like the idea of starting out with a different vehicle.

I think the only thing apparently questionable about it now is that alternator connector. I think if it acts up again, I'll see if I can just replace the connector.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It just as the handle in the middle, the cantilever latches stopped in 83 I think. The 'build thread', if you can call it that, is in my signature.