84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Im not geting power to my Fuel pump 85 toyota 4runner . I need help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not geting power to my Fuel pump 85 toyota 4runner . I need help Please

i have a 85 4runner with the 22re with the pump in the gas tank. I was driving to work one day and all of the sudden the engine died and it wouldn't fire back up so i popped the hood and stated looking around. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary so i disconnected the battery and called for some help and started checking if any plugs were unplugged and then connected the battery again and it fired up but died. Then i tried to start it up again and it started and i gave it some gas and I drove it to work and back home again. I thought it might be the fuel filter so i got one and put it in and it wouldnt start. So i thought that i was the pump so i checked to see if it was turning on and it wasnt and i have 270k on the car so i figured i would get a new one. So i got a new pump put it in and it didnt fix the problem. so i got a voltage tester and the pump wasn't getting power so i replaced the main relay on the drivers kick pannel and the one behind the passengerside speaker and that didnt fix the problem either. So i started baring the wires looking for a break where the blue wire splits to go out into the fender but i didnt find anything besides were it goes up to the windshield wiper motor?? i think it is the wiper motor. There is a little black in that plug but i dont know if that is the problem. Could it be the air flow sensor because the wire goes over there too. I need help! If you have any ideas please comment.

where the wire splits after the computer

were it splits off for the windshield wiper fluid container. But it is a dead wire but isn't bare at the end

is this the plug that i jump to turn on the fuel pump

i dont have the box that is connected on the side of the fuse box

is there a fuse in the fuse box under the hood for the fuel pump?

the plug the plugs into my air box has a little hole in it. Could that be shorting and not allowing my fuel pump to turn on

Old 03-29-2015, 10:12 PM

there is a clicking noise behind my open relay and i just bought a new one but is is still clicking. It kinda sounds like a spark i dont think its grounding right. what should i do?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Do the fuel pump jumper and see what you get.
Here is how you do a Fuel Pump Bypass on the 85/86.
Jumper wire the Yellow Plug on Drivers side. ( Jumper wire should be in both contacts for testing, I just didnt have it in for picture purposes and mostly a referece for me at a later time.)
Name:  fuelcheck2_zpsc4271c95.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  65.1 KB

If it doesnt engage the fuel pump you most likely have a broken wire somewhere. You should be able to hear the pump run with the key on and the motor not running.

Since you have already changed out the Circuit Opening Relay behind the passenger speaker I doubt that is the issue. I remove all of those crimps that you have posted in the pictures above. Remove the crimp, solder and shrink wrap them. I have seen a crimp pass a resistance check but still not operate. Like was explained to me, if it is a 50 strand wire, all broke but one, it will pass a resistance check but not able to send enough current to operate the equipment.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:11 PM

the opening relay is clicking when i try to turn the motor over. Does the blue wire go across my dash?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:41 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
X 2 on what Terry said on the crimps. There is nothing worse than when someone hacks the wires up and lazily connects them. I have had more problems fixing peoples DIY aquarium lighting because they used crimps instead of soldier and heat shrink. If I find crimps now I don't care if they are working I just fix them. That way if something goes wrong in the future I know it's probably not the wire I fixed.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Some of those China made relays are junk.

It almost sounds like the switch in the AFM is not closing if the pump works when the yellow plug your holding is jumped . I always use a fuse in all my test leads.

Then all this testing you may have blown a fuse you all ready thought was checked.