84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

IFS Steering box for hy-steer.. manual/power?

Old 07-29-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IFS Steering box for hy-steer.. manual/power?

So I have a 84 toyota pickup, got my marlin crawler hy-steer and some new all pro springs to slide my axle forward
I play pretty rough with my truck, so less stuff to break the better....
my question is does anybody have experience with a manual IFS steering box.....

I dont have power steering now, so It would cost me alot more to get power steering... plus it would also be more hoses that can go bad, more leaks, and more stuff in my engine bay i dont need....

So... manual ifs steering box or power?
All educated/sarcastic opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by dropzone; 07-29-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Censor picked up on stuff
Old 07-30-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one in my 2wd truck it absolutely sucks you have to be moving to make tight turns and just don't work well
Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jcrawl94
I have one in my 2wd truck it absolutely sucks you have to be moving to make tight turns and just don't work well
I don't have power steering now. I have the old push pull with 34" super swampers. That doesn't bother me. I had an 82 2wd with a 4 speed no powersteering. And it was great.

Do you have a 94 with out powersteering? They went to side to side steering when they switched to independent front suspension. Just wondering why everybody goes to power steering with a hy-steer
Old 08-01-2015, 05:21 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
bigger tires would be a good reason to go with ps with crossover steering... to the point of using hydro assist.

so you have 4wd with manual steering? i wonder if the mounting holes line up with the later ps boxes that people are using.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by osv
bigger tires would be a good reason to go with ps with crossover steering... to the point of using hydro assist.

so you have 4wd with manual steering? i wonder if the mounting holes line up with the later ps boxes that people are using.
I'm pretty happy with my tire size. Got plenty of room for flex and she gets me places I shouldn't be.
And yes. You are correct. 34" super swampers with manual steering. It doesn't bother me at all, on or off road.

From what I've ready my bolt pattern won't line up at all. But I can drill an tap new holes and or fit up a steel plate to mount it too. I've read several people's builds. I just haven't seen any that used manual. An I'm wondering why.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:41 PM
osv

so bolt pattern won't line up refers to the manual 4x4 steering box bolt pattern being different than the ps steering box bolt pattern?

if that's the case, yeah, you may have to search pirate or something to get the right info... the last thing you need is to set it up and find out later that it won't work.

be sure and plate both sides of the frame area under the box, all the way forward to the crossmember, and weld 'em to that... that junction is a weak area.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:07 PM

I'm still a bit confused on the bolt pattern line up? You saying that the steering coming out of my truck might not bolt up to the manual ifs steering box?
I haven't thought of that. But it doesn't seem like a toyota thing to do. If the ifs box bolts onto my solid axle steering.

And yeah sorry. Plates. One on each side. You say it's a weak spot. So how much of the frame should I catch with the plate. In other words about how long of a plate should I make to brace?
Old 08-01-2015, 07:37 PM
osv

Originally Posted by delmert
I'm still a bit confused on the bolt pattern line up? You saying that the steering coming out of my truck might not bolt up to the manual ifs steering box?
that's what i was wondering, but i know nothing about manual ifs boxes... it would be really irritating if they didn't line up!!

if you are going to get serious, the plates should go all the way forward to the crossmember up front, and weld into that somehow... what you are trying to prevent is this:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...repair-289109/

i posted a pic where i put in a reinforcement plate, because my frame was cracking there.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 PM

Awesome reply OSV. Yeah. I've braced the ˟˟˟˟ out of my truck. I do some dump ˟˟˟˟. So ill defiantly make some bad ass plates to tie all the way to the front and back towards the wheel. I wouldn't have seen that as so much of a week point. I'm still curious about the manual IFS box though. Looking at pics it seems pretty close to the regular. I might just wing it. Unless I seen a good reason to not. Someone's gotta be first.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've only had power steering boxes in my trucks (both of them had parts missing to make power steering work when I first got them) I'm guessing they're geared different cause offroad with 33s was a bear! And now my 38.5s and lockright up front forget about it! Nearly lost a few fingers testing out the locker in some sand lol
Old 08-05-2015, 08:12 PM

Yeah.. pretty sure they are geared differently... because broken power steering seems to be alot harder to turn over stock no power steering....

I put a knob on my steering wheel one time... yeah... stuck in 4x4 with the push pull steering... that wasnt fun
Old 09-30-2015, 04:34 PM

okay, for those interested I got a manual steering box refurbished off ebay for a couple hundred... (ya pricey!!!!!) Well and ways, got my hi-steer new springs and everything put together.... seems good so far... day 1

Its actually easier to steer then my old style, and I've got 34" on her...