84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

hydro assist problems: cooler placement and sluggish steering not returning to center

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hydro assist problems: cooler placement and sluggish steering not returning to center

Whats up guys, I have an 86 toyota that has been converted SAS and I have installed a hydro ram assist steering system. I finished the other day, and I feel like my steering is a little more on the sluggish side than should be. I am running 35" km2s.

I am thinking maybe I put the cooler in the wrong section of the hydraulics. The equipment I am using are a modified saginaw tc pump (similar to psc and tg pumps), tg ram assist kit with 2" diameter ram and supplied 5/16" lines, tg tapped gearbox, and the cooler is an external trans cooler from an automatic jeep mounted in front of the condenser.

Is there anyone that could draw out or has drawn out a schematic of how a ram assist system with cooler flows? I was told to put it somewhere in the return system, but not exactly sure where that is. I have looked for hours on finding a toyota gear box specific schematic for ram assist applications and have turned up only full hydro or GM schematics with noticeable differences.

Also, it just doesn't seem to want to "return to center," I keep having to tick the steering wheel a little left and right to track straight. Might have to do with the sluggishness problem. Is this normal with ram assist?

Thanks for any help guys!