84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Hub Reassembly Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hub Reassembly Advice

85 Toyota Truck - 22RE

I'm in the process of reassembling my hubs after tearing down to change the rotors. As it was necessary to remove the outer bearings(meaning I need to repack them) it seems wise to go ahead and remove the rear seal, remove the inner bearings, clean out all of the grease in the hub, repack both sets of bearings, re-grease the hub body and replace the rear seal(available from NAPA) while I'm at it. My book(Haynes) describes a procedure for applying grease inside the hub after it has been all cleaned out that involves putting a small amount of grease behind each race and forming a damn with your finger behind each race.

Hub Reassembly Advice-zajthzt.jpg

This seems fine but will not result in anything like what I'm seeing in the hub currently. There is a big band of relatively clean grease around the entire circumference of the hub body that is probably 3/4" or so deep(based on a little poking with a screwdriver)

Hub Reassembly Advice-tmlfotr.jpg

Is the book procedure accurate or should I end up with something like I already have? Did somebody previous just do some serious overkill? The band of grease is so evenly applied that it makes me think it was factory, but then again maybe it was just piled in there and centrifugal force spread it out. I've also never packed bearings. Is the book procedure in the picture good or should I know more / do it differently?

It also seems like it would be a good idea to replace the gasket between the hub body and the manual locking hub but I haven't been able to find this part at any of the auto parts stores. It looks OK but is a little bunged up from a couple of poorly aimed stud-removal blows.

Hub Reassembly Advice-pzmevwz.jpg

Should I concern myself with this gasket at all?

I've done quite a bit of research and watched/read everything I can find but these issues don't really seem to get addressed in any detail. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Is there anything special I should do when putting the manual locking hub back on in terms of grease or maintenance?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. If I've placed this post in the wrong location I'd be happy to delete and move and I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Full Album

Last edited by Torg0; 09-07-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I do like my hand Condoms for packing bearings

Pretty much like your article stated put the correct grease in the palm of your hand working from the bigger end of the bearing.

Sort of work it till it comes out other end takes a bit

Your looking to force the grease between the roller bearings and the inner race

Having never done this it takes a while to you get a knack for doing it

the other grease is there from years of use.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
The 'packing' of the clean bearings themselves is the most important part.
The new grease needs to be forced thru the end of the bearing until it lays solidly along side of the rollers and begins to be forced out the other side of the bearing just as your image shows. The bearing must be rotated and pushed into the palm of your hand repeatedly to get it done. Personally, I use my first two fingers to force the grease instead of my palm.
The large amount of grease inside of the hub is overkill. When I was young and overly enthusiastic, I would load the hubs up with extra grease, but it performs no useful function, and makes cleanout a bigger pain the next time repacking needs to be done.
A thin wipe of new grease inside the hub cavity to avoid rusting is sufficient. There must, of course, be some grease at the bushings that carry the drive axle stub at either end of the the spindle itself, but you haven't been clear wether you are going in that deep.
You might be interested in looking at this:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-100327/
That gasket looks OK, just grease it lightly on reassembly.

Edit--- I did'nt look closely enough at your truck specifics. I guess you have a straight axle truck. Maybe the spindle lubricator thread might not apply to you.

Last edited by millball; 09-07-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I do like my hand Condoms for packing bearings

Pretty much like your article stated put the correct grease in the palm of your hand working from the bigger end of the bearing.

Sort of work it till it comes out other end takes a bit

Your looking to force the grease between the roller bearings and the inner race

Having never done this it takes a while to you get a knack for doing it

the other grease is there from years of use.
Thank you for the reply and advice on packing technique - makes perfect sense!
Old 09-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by millball
The 'packing' of the clean bearings themselves is the most important part.
The new grease needs to be forced thru the end of the bearing until it lays solidly along side of the rollers and begins to be forced out the other side of the bearing just as your image shows. The bearing must be rotated and pushed into the palm of your hand repeatedly to get it done. Personally, I use my first two fingers to force the grease instead of my palm.
The large amount of grease inside of the hub is overkill. When I was young and overly enthusiastic, I would load the hubs up with extra grease, but it performs no useful function, and makes cleanout a bigger pain the next time repacking needs to be done.
A thin wipe of new grease inside the hub cavity to avoid rusting is sufficient. There must, of course, be some grease at the bushings that carry the drive axle stub at either end of the the spindle itself, but you haven't been clear wether you are going in that deep.
You might be interested in looking at this:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-100327/
That gasket looks OK, just grease it lightly on reassembly.

Edit--- I did'nt look closely enough at your truck specifics. I guess you have a straight axle truck. Maybe the spindle lubricator thread might not apply to you.
Excellent, thank you! Feel much more confident about the grease approach inside the hub now. Yeah, straight axle truck so I don't think it applies. Book just says grease the spindle a little then slide the hub back on. Don't think there's a place for the grease to go in using a setup like the one you linked. Really enjoyed the thread though, clever setup I'll be sure to remember if I end up working on an IFS someday. It'll have to be somebody else's though. Keeping the 85 till I die! I'm happy to say I ordered the 54mm socket from trail gear and won't be among the chiselers mentioned! Thanks a lot for the reply!

This is how far in I've gone:
Hub Reassembly Advice-bfyz27q.jpg

Last edited by Torg0; 09-09-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:10 PM

You may want to consider replacing those springs in the near future. When they start to get weak like that they can fail under hard braking, even with the torque arm and the sway bar intact.

Off topic, but food for thought.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All gaskets in the hub are deemed non-reuseable by Toyota but lots of people re-use them. I always recommend replacements.

As stated above pack the bearings with grease correctly and thoroughly. Toyota actually specifys the center resesed cavity of the hub to be filled with grease all the way around. Caution: Over greasing the hub can present incorrect bearing pre-load and hub tourqe.

Last edited by Kiroshu; 09-22-2014 at 08:38 PM.