84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

HELP! Really bad bogging down/stalling

Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP! Really bad bogging down/stalling

My DD 85 pickup with the 22r is acting crazy! The truck bucks/bogs down at highway speeds and just started doing it at lower speeds now too. It feels like the fuel is being shut off almost. A put in a new fuel filter a few days ago. How do I determine if it is carb related (I am thinking AAP diaphragm) or fuel pump related? The motor only has about 40k miles so I am leaning away from the fuel pump. Any help needs to be ASAP. I really appreciate it guys! Anyone here from the South Side/Burbs of Chicago and have some experience?

Thanks in advance
Need help ASAP

Abe
Old 11-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey mine is doing that exact same thing, so i also would like to know, and i know mine aint the fuel filter because i just changed the fuel filter too
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 PM

UPDATE: I plugged the vac line to the AAP and it still happens. So I was poking around some more and noticed some fuel dripping from the fuel pump. I am hoping the pump is the problem and am going to change it tomorrow. Any special tips on the fuel pump replacement? I have the FSM so we'll see. Also, the problem only arises when the truck is warm AND the truck start/idles perfect all the time. Any more ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Abe
Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 PM

BUMP/UPDATE (Bumpdate?): I put on a new fuel pump and it doesn't leak, so that is good. The truck takes a minutes to get warmed up enough to drive ( I think this is because the AAP is now plugged). I drove it for a while today and it was alright through all the rpm's, but then when I floored it in 3rd it stalled. I am not sure if I just flooded/staled it cuz I floored it, or if it is the same problem again. Does anyone have any ideas that might help? I am the type of person who prefers taking as long as possible to identify the problems and THEN go buy the right parts, so I thought the leaking fuel pump was the smoking gun proof I needed. Would a distributor problem have any symptoms like this? Carb rebuild? ( I am just trying to narrow it down and make sure it is fuel related)

HELP PLEASE
Old 11-23-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
float chamber fuel level?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 PM

The carb is dirty and I have not been able to see the fuel level in the sight glass . I cleaned it up while the truck was bogging/stalling but could not see any fuel. I will check it again tomorrow to see if it is where it is supposed to be. I am leaning towards a carb rebuild kit soon anyway because of the age (23 years) and the fact that the carb sat for 10 years unused.

I drove it around today with a plugged AAP and the new fuel pump and it ran great no stalls at any RPM, floored or at partial throttle. I re-connected the AAP and I am going to test the truck again tomorrow to make sure that it was not a combo of bad fuel pump and AAP. I will post what I find, I am hoping that the problem was simply the fuel pump.

Thanks very much for the help, I will post tomorrow
Old 11-24-2008, 10:29 AM

Alright, so I warmed it up and drove it today with the AAP connected and the new fuel pump. It started bogging down/stalling so I got home, re-plugged the AAP vacuum line and started driving it around. It then started bogging down and stalling real bad again! So it misbehaves with the AAP disconnected/plugged and connected, what should I check next? I cannot see any fuel in the sight glass in front of the carb. Any ideas? Anyone on the south side of chicago up for a maintenance party?

Thanks

Abe
Old 11-26-2008, 09:01 AM

So I rebuilt the carb last night and installed it this morning. Replaced some cracked vac hoses and started it up. I need to correct the warm idle but other than that it starts/runs great. I even saw some fuel at the bottom of the sight glass. It still bogs/stalls at mid to high RPMs when warmed up!!! What gives?

Here is a list of everything replaced:
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump
Spark Plugs (Old ones looked OK.)
Dist. Cap and Rotor
Rebuilt Carb

I am totally at a loss. I need this truck drivable ASAP for work. Any ideas?
Old 11-26-2008, 07:43 PM

try adjusting the TPS
Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 PM

I don't think Carbed motors don't have TPS

Last edited by AbeWhat; 11-26-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:01 AM

fuel level in the float chamber should be center of the sight glass.
also, is your choke pulling off when it warms up?
Old 11-27-2008, 08:15 PM

The fuel level is low in the sight glass. And the choke is coming off OK when it warms up. Clogged fuel line? bad new fuel pump?
Old 11-29-2008, 04:55 PM

If you have a compressor and you think the fuel lines are suspect then replace the rubber ones and blow out the metal ones. I spent $6 on all new vacuum line which made a huge difference on my 22r's driveability. Find a vacuum hose diagram for your rig and check it twice.reset the float maybe. I run mine low on the sight glass for wheeling purposes . Just some cheap ideas for you. Good luck, Joe

Last edited by jodaddy; 11-29-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:44 PM

Does anyone think it could be the HAC? I live in Colorado and had no probs there, then when I drove to Chicago is when the trouble started (7000 feet to 1000 feet alt.). Or is that just unrelated? Just trying to eliminate all of the obvious possibilities
Old 11-30-2008, 09:22 AM

It could but I don't know what emissions equipment you are running. there is supposed to be a check valve at the distributor[vacuum goes only 1 way] if the hac is tied into manifold vacuum then when manifold vacuum drops {driving around} the timing would be retarded and run like crap. I thought about that hac when I posted but then I saw you were in chicago. Maybe you switched a hose after your rebuild. I used to live in Gunni about a decade ago and I sure do miss it. good luck, Joe
Old 11-30-2008, 01:36 PM

Yeah, I love Gunni/CB. I took the car to a tech friend of mine today to replicate/repair the problem. The car would not stall, or surge, or bog down no matter what! Hot/Cold, full/part throttle, etc. All we did was look at the carb and linkages and move them by hand to throttle up, check all the vac hoses compared to the diagram, and then drive it. I drove it pretty much all day and it was OK. AND there is the correct amount of fuel in the sight glass, which was not there when I was having problems. Maybe it's intermittent? or it's gone? We'll see. Thanks for all the posts, I'll keep the thread updated. -Abe
Old 11-30-2008, 05:09 PM

maybe the float was sticking 'low' somehow, preventing the float chamber from filling properly, and now that problem is gone.
who's to know? all I can say is that it would appear your problem was related to the float and the fuel level in the float chamber.
may have been some rust or something else.

nice to hear it seems to be running better now.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:36 PM

That seems to be the case. I have been driving the car around town tonight and checking the sight glass every time I shut it off. It is right where it should be. I am thinking, and hoping, that the carb rebuild fixed the problem and had a delayed reaction.

Should the fuel level drain down after the car is shut off or stay in the middle of the sight glass?

Thanks-Abe
Old 07-31-2012, 08:36 PM

i need help with my 1984 toyota pickup 4x4 i did a carb rebuild because the truck almost surged while driving and i automatically first thought carb now that i have the carb back on the truck it still has the same problem but its worse not even driveable at certain rpms the carb spits sputters has no power and backfires but at other rpms it runs fine im dumbfounded and dont know what else to look for i looked at a vacuum diagram and all hoses look to be in their places even knowing that the previous owner plugged some and took some things out so its been very confusing any help any ideas would be great thanks
Old 12-17-2016, 09:35 AM

Replace igniter

Did you try replacing your igniter I notice you changed cap and rotor but not the igniter had this issue before every time the truck started to get warm it would bog while driving try that and let me know if that helped

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Really bad bogging down/stalling