84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Head gasket replacement woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I think timing chain could be it or even something else like the piston wrist pins. Wish I was there to take a peek.
I would start a new thread with the title of: "Strange noise, is this valves or timing chain" and get some other more experienced people to give you some feed back. No one is replying to this one and also many fewer people browse through the 84-85 truck section. Put it in 86-95 and get some more people looking. If you notice there are sometimes ten times more people looking at it than the 84-85.
Record the engine running with video or recording, start it up and take it to high rpm as you dare and let the experts bounce ideas.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final update.

Took the truck to some good mechanics for a diagnosis. Wrist pins, cylinders 2 and 3. The only tool used was a stethoscope.

Sounded so much like valves, or something in the top end to me.

I hope the video might be useful to others with 22r rattle noises. I should have just replaced the whole motor, or junked it, after the head gasket blew. Very expensive lesson.

Options now are 1) scrap the whole truck, 2) install a new refurbished block assembly ($795 for one on ebay) or 3) install a "long block" or nearly entire replacement motor ($1395 from the same place on ebay). Any work would have to wait 'til spring, as i don't have a garage and I'm in the northeast.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:26 PM

How much are you into it for?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:55 PM

Hard to estimate exactly. Here is a list:

refurbished head 300
timing kit 100
oil pump 50
water pump 50
gaskets galore 150
miscellaneous bolts and helicoil kits 200
timing cover 50
new 12V battery 100
motor oil 100
various tools and gauges i'll likely never use again 200
unneeded insurance on a downed vehicle 400

Looks like my lesson cost me about two grand and lots of time wasted. Thanks nordicwargod, i am grateful for your continuing interest.

My next project would have been restoration of the body and suspension. Perhaps fabrication of a flatbed. Now that I'm broke and the truck is junk as it stands, I'm not sure what to do.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:55 AM

Don't know where you are but there is always craigslist. Huge interest in these toyota trucks. Probably 5 huge forums on the net because of the interest and enthusiasm and this being one of them. You won't find this with Nissan or Mazda trucks.
My suggestion of to part it out. Advertise the tools there too. You won't get your cost back on the stuff you just bought but you will make two grand easy. Hell, just the front window trim alone complete with clips sell for $100 around here.
Wiring harness $75, hood, fenders, transmission, rear end,,,,,,,etc
When you get what you want out of it give it to a junk yard.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:01 PM

Perhaps a good idea.

Not sure if I'd be organized enough to part it out. Not a great amount of interest in them where I'm living right now (Long Island), so doubt if Craigslist would show many bites. Maybe ebay? I don't know.

My temptation at the moment is to plow onward, and buy a refurbished bottom end next spring. I've got all that new stuff on the top. I could maybe learn how to use an engine hoist and put her together again....it'd likely cost me about $1000 for the job. But then again, maybe I should learn my lesson and stop throwing money at this.

My biggest problem is that I love the truck. She's lasted a lot longer than any of the three wives I've had
Old 11-20-2015, 11:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Its always hard to part with things. If cost is the real issue, then it must happen. But, if cost is only one of many different issues, then there are other options.

The bottom end it not tough, nearly every engine is the same when it come to working on the bottom end.

I would suggest sitting on it for a bit, maybe wait for spring. At that point you would really be able to decide what course of action too take. By the way, you might find more interest with parting it out in spring also. And, in that time, you will know whether time and money would allow you to bring the yota back to life. Remember these things are old and old thing will require repairs at some point. We have all been in your situation, and, or will be in your situation.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:21 AM

Thanks dark_fairytales.

I've priced out what it would cost for a refurbished block assembly....something like $700, plus add another $250 for shipping. I don't have a garage, and an engine hoist could possibly be rented. With gaskets and stuff, it'd likely cost $1200 total.

Alternatively, would installing a bottom-end kit be worth trying? What I'm thinking is new pistons, rings, wrist pins, and bearings (rod and main), for like $150. The engine as-is holds decent compression and oil pressure. This job could all presumably be done without hoisting the block out. I'd be hoping the rods themselves could be re-used. The whole thing would cost less than $300.