84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Fried wires. Truck won't fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fried wires. Truck won't fire

I had a mess up today. Thinking I could wire in a ammeter... Well turns out I didn't know how to wire it in. I spliced the gauge to a hot wire from the battery to the rack lights saw a bit of a spark when I tried putting the neg battery cable but said screw it and forced it on. Truck started smoking the pos neg wires on the ammeter. I can't see any other wires burned except for this on wire to my rack light and it's not even burned just melted the insulation. Anyways my truck works entirely except it fire, the starter turns I can hear the fuel pump with the key on, just won't turn over! I tried spraying ether into the airbox but to no avail. I'll check for spark tomorrow, and does anyone know how to test to see if the injectors are working?

Last edited by PAgrown; 03-08-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Did you check that you didn`t blow any fuses??

Most gauges come with instructions.

I could never see a use for a ammeter except to read current draw Give me a volt meter any day.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:12 AM

I incidentally lost the instructions... I checked a fuses last night in the engine bay. Time to check down in the drivers side. But the truck still wants to run she just won't fire!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:38 AM

Fuses all look good... Dammit. and I realized I don't know how to check for spark plug fire by myself...
Old 03-09-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It can be a little hard without a remote starter switch.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:51 AM

And just realized I've been using carb cleaner not starter fluid.....
Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 PM

So me and my mechanically inclined friend went through and checked the ignition coil, checked out good, the wires are giving power from the ecu, he's suspicious about the igniter on top of the ignition coil though as a possible problem, he's a professional mechanic and says we were thorough and its probably just a freak thing that I'm not getting spark. Any additional input anyone?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:27 PM

relays

Originally Posted by PAgrown
So me and my mechanically inclined friend went through and checked the ignition coil, checked out good, the wires are giving power from the ecu, he's suspicious about the igniter on top of the ignition coil though as a possible problem, he's a professional mechanic and says we were thorough and its probably just a freak thing that I'm not getting spark. Any additional input anyone?
Op, i had the same problem you did, but it had to do with my amp, i accidentally wired the ground to power and power to ground, thank god the fuses blew until i found out the problem i made. Anyways to the point, i think a fuse is the culprit, since you said you checked them and they are all good, have you checked the relay's? most likely one of the relay's are fried. i burned out my headlight relay once and i couldn't use anything. weird coincidence but it happend. Check your relays and check the wiring that lead from the positive side to the fuse box, check if there ok.