84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Decided to get my '84 4x4 rebuilt!!! help me please...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decided to get my '84 4x4 rebuilt!!! help me please...

Ok, I do not have the time to rebuild it myself so have decided to have a local shop do it for me. Am wondering if any of you have heard of or used this shop.

ACTION CYLINDER HEADS (LAKESIDE) 11903 WOODSIDE AV LAKESIDE, CA

Some of my friends have used him with great success. He quoted me $2000 for the whole job including a new radiator. I have the original on there, so probably a good idea.

Also want to put a remanufactured carb on it cause mine has had problems in the past and I want a fresh start. I just called two shops in town on getting mine rebuilt and they quoted me around $400 for it to be done. So am thinking of buying one from Carburetor Exchange or Import Carburetors. Both are just under $200 with exchange. But I would like to hear who you all have used and success/disappointments.

I bought my truck for $500 but I love this truck and have been driving it for 8 years now so am attached to it. This past year it has been sitting in my yard because I was given a new car from my grandmother but I feel a lot safer in my truck and I enjoy driving it a lot more. People on the freeway MOVE when they see it coming. Its pretty beat up and crummy looking but hey, its my truck and that?s how I want it. I am going to put buckets seats and 4-point harnesses in it though in the future.

So thank you all very much for you input and just being here at the forum, it?s been a great help to me. Thanks again

Alan Murphy
Old 04-12-2007, 09:55 AM

I say rebuild and work towards EFI. That is a bit of a PITA yet it's such a nice feature....

John
Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Can I ask why you recommend EFI? What is involved in switching a carbed engine to an EFI engine
Old 04-12-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Willie
Can I ask why you recommend EFI? What is involved in switching a carbed engine to an EFI engine

First off one of the major differences with EFI over stock carburated is the fact that EFI will not stall out when you are climbing a hill or in an off camber situation when off-roading.

Secondly If I am not mistaken the EFI set up is a more responsive and efficent method of delivering fuel to the engine over a carb.

Third - There are aftermarket improvements you can make to a EFI set up such as larger injectors, cold air intake and larger throttle body for more performance and improved MPG (within reason, the more you add fuel the sooner the threadshold is reached that balances power to fuel consumption. Once reached and crested, the fuel economy goes down however the performance continues to increase.)

As far as switching over, I have not done the change myself. I have only talked to those who have. Perhaps one other Yotatech member who has accomplished this will be able to chime in on the difficulty. You will need the EFI intake, plenium, fuel pump, EFI ECU and the airbox & Mass airflow sensor *(which is on the airbox itself.) Additionally, you may need the wiring harness from a EFI truck too. I am not 100% on the wiring carb vs. EFI.

Anyone else is welcmed to chime in and correct me if any statements are not 100% or add to the benefits of a EFI set up.

If you'd like I can PM you a thread from a different forum where a EFI was put into a carb'd 4 Runner. Just let me know!

John
Old 04-12-2007, 11:44 AM

can you post said link? It should make interesting reading for me, if nothing else.

thanks!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by NaeSLaS
can you post said link? It should make interesting reading for me, if nothing else.

thanks!
Sure!

Hope this doesn't create any problems for it's location and I hope I am not over stepping boundaries by listing this! I believe the engine stuff begins on page 2.

CLICK ME TO BE REDIRECTED

John
Old 04-12-2007, 05:46 PM

thanks

Thanks for the input. I am probably going to stick with a carb because for one I?m on a tight budget and I don?t use it for off-road stuff very much. I have had this truck almost sideways on a steep going to get a hurt climber and it ran great. This truck was used to rescue folks at a Boy Scout camp and as the all around work truck. Also I'm on a pretty tight budget. I'm selling a motorcycle I have (2002 DRZ400S) to finance the truck getting rebuilt. I don?t use the bike much and would rather have my truck. EFI might be in the future a few years. Thanks again and keep it coming! Still would like to hear from anyone who has used either carb place.

Alan Murphy
Old 04-12-2007, 09:37 PM

for a reman carb with liftetime warranty with great customer service

www.nationalcarburetors.com
Old 04-21-2007, 12:09 AM

so..

so.... has anyone here used Action Cylinder heads? i would relly like to hear from someone about them before i hand over my truck....thanks again
Old 04-21-2007, 03:00 AM

for 2grand is that a complete rebuild turn key deal??
Old 04-21-2007, 03:03 AM

also check bbs to see if any complaints, maybe ask some auto parts store and see what they say
Old 04-21-2007, 03:06 PM

turnkey

yeah itss turnkey...i didnt even think of checking BBS. thanks! but yeah turnkey with a new radiator installed also and new engine enamel.he does the works from what he said over the phone.thanks again.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:21 PM

2k turnkey sounds like a hell of a deal. with radiator almost to good if the shop checks out do it that is a good deal