84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

clutch wont bleed

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh yeah, four master cylinders and slave cylinders later still can't make this happen, WTF
Old 04-23-2014, 10:04 AM

I just ran into the same issue on my '94 pickup.
Replaced the MC with a new one, replaced all fluid, bled with assistant on pedal and gravity bled, no pressure. About to step out and play with the pedal height and bracket on the MC. If anyone has any new ideas I wouldn't mind hearing them.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 PM

Problem resolved!

Adjusted bracket attaching pedal to clutch MC, gravity bled for about 5-7 minutes and that was after I accidentally pumped the pedal a few times with the slave cylinder bleeder open, derp. Specifically, I lengthened the assembly connecting the master cylinder piston to the clutch pedal by unscrewing it. Luckily I only had to try once and I found a nice spot for the clutch. Went on a short test drive and everything went well.

Thanks to all the previous posters, giving me ideas.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darth brian
if you can fit. (no offence) it was hard for me and im a small guy. pay a neighorhood kid to do it. haha, anyways. follow the clutch pedal up to the top where the hinge is. there should be a bolt and nut somewhere up there that you can adjust the 'freeplay' with.

I'm about an average sized guy and I could reach it but it was a pain for me so I just unbolted the seat in about 1 minute and had a lot more space to work with.

As for the bleeding, I just installed one of those kits with new master/slave cylinders and stainless braided line clutch hose. Filled up the master and let it gravity bleed for a few minutes, got impatient and pushed the pedal a few times until fluid came out. Closed off the bleed valve, vigorously worked the pedal a few times until it got springy, and it works like a champ!
Old 03-14-2016, 07:48 PM

I am not new to the forum, but I am new to posting so not sure if the correct thing was to "bump" this old thread, but this was as close as I could find to a similar issue as I am having.

I have a 84 22r p/u and I have had it for 6 years as my DD yet I am finally decided to bleed the brakes and the clutch MC's. The brakes went fine, but the clutch is giving me problems.

I followed the directions in my Chilton with no luck. It is barely allowing any fluid to flow through my slave cylinder. It just dribbles if that. I am having my wife pump in the clutch then hold it down while I crack the bleeder screw, but again nothing really comes out??? I even pulled the bleed screw all the way out and it barely dribbles...is that normal?

I assume I got some air bubbles, but I swear I must have tried at least 20-30 times and still no resistance at the pedal.

The clutch itself was working fine beforehand so it seems unlikely that I am having MC or SC issues?

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 03-15-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would venture the slave cylinder has dirt in the hole the bleeder is threaded in.

Till you take it off try and clean it may as well Replace Every thing !!

Master Cylinder Slave cylinder and the rubber hose and be good for another 20 years

Use Aisin Parts
Old 03-15-2016, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the response. That may have been the issue as I kept at it again this morning(to my wife's dismay) and eventually it started to flow a bit better. I used a hose kit which created a vacuum effect which seemed to help. In the end it was definitely flowing a lot better and alas I now have my clutch back

The old fluid was literally BLACK
Old 04-03-2016, 06:32 AM

ok I have been reading all the post on trouble bleeding the clutch&slave cylinder...I replaced both master& slave cylinder.But still cant get good pedal,i spent hours bleeding w/the two man method,get good pedal,then nothing...........checked all lines and didn't see any leaks.................What am I doing wrong any help would be GREAT Thanks
Old 04-03-2016, 07:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You can draw in air without leaking fluid.

If you went with other then Aisin parts they could be junk!!
Old 04-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Hey Thanks for your response,i ended up changing the New master cylinder with another New 1 and seems to be workin fine.....
Old 10-03-2016, 12:12 PM

I'm having the same issue with the system not bleeding after replacing my mc and sc, tried bleeding FOREVER and got a tiny amount of fluid to come through, filled a water bottle half way with brake fluid and put the hose from the bleeder valve in the bottle to watch for bubbles instead of fluid, no bubbles, no movement at the slave, pulled the line that goes the the mc and had someone press the clutch to see if fluid is flowing, it squirted out like it should so I'm pretty sure the mc is functioning as it should, reconnected to the slave with the peddle still to the floor and the bleeder valve closed, it seems like there isnt anything getting to the slave, no air or fluid. The only thing i can think of is that the connection from the mc to the slave is getting blocked off when it gets tightend down. I'm not going to keep exchanging parts at the parts store because i've been through 2 mc and 2 slaves with the exact same issue, can't find any leaks in the line so my next step will be trying to get it into the shop unless someone has another idea.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:18 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
hard to follow that run-on text... when the clutch pedal was pushed down, you barely cracked the fitting on the hard line at the clutch m/c, and fluid squirted out? that's good.

did you try doing the same test where the brake line joins slave cylinder? if it's not squirting fluid when the pedal is pushed down, i wonder if the flexible hose is plugged up.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by osv
hard to follow that run-on text... when the clutch pedal was pushed down, you barely cracked the fitting on the hard line at the clutch m/c, and fluid squirted out? that's good.

did you try doing the same test where the brake line joins slave cylinder? if it's not squirting fluid when the pedal is pushed down, i wonder if the flexible hose is plugged up.
Where the line connects to the slave was disconnected and it flows fine until I connect it to the slave. After it's connected I open the bleed screw and press the clutch pedal and get nothing. No kinks or leaks in the line that I can find.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:31 PM

My issue was fixed, decided to work on it in the rain instead of taking it to the shop. Hopefully I can still help some by explaining how I tested my master cylinder...

1. remove the hydraulic line from the master cylinder.
2.put your finger over the hole on the master cylinder that you just pulled the line from and have someone pump the clutch.
you should feel suction and pressure as they pump.

In my case with a brand new master cylinder, it wasn't letting enough fluid into the system to do anything, changed it out for another new one, bled the system and it feels really good to have a clutch again.

after checking the fluid that I pulled out I noticed a LOT of contamination that looked like mud which is most likely the cause of my issues.