84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Is it Carb or Timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it Carb or Timing

I have an 85 pickup which i put less than 1000 miles per year on. It ran pretty well perfect until two months ago. Started it and put it in the shed. Went out two weeks later and it would not start. When it finally started it would not rev with out bogging down. Replaced ignition module and checked gap. Took off carb and soaked it for three days. Bottom butterfly was sticking. Replaced the gasket for the insulator on the bottom of the carb and now it backfires on start and will not idle or run. Replaced fuel filter. Checked and replaced vacuum lines. Someone said it's the timing. Would the gap on the ignition module be far enough out to cause this? This has really got me stumped. This this was a rock and now crap. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing won't just change on its own. Carb can be gummed up and destroyed from bad fuel or from sitting. Yayyyyy Ethanol!!!!!!! Good thing we subsidize the corn farmers!!!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:07 AM

I kind of figured that. Since when I changed the ignition module i didn't move the dist. or change anything else. I just thought if the gap was to big or small it would change some of the running of the engine. I'm about tired of dealing with this wonderful ethanol.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also check the fuel level in the float bowl via the glass window. Make sure it is in the middle.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 PM

Had the same prob after winter in my project truck. Wound up running seafoam in a full tank and replaced the fuel filter before going for a nice long cruise. Changed filter afterward again and no problems.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 AM

Continued failure. The float seems good. Right in the middle of the site glass. Have filled it with new gas and have carb cleaner in the fuel. Took the carb off and took it apart and soaked it for two days in carb cleaner from Oreilly's. Looked really clean. Blew out all the openings and reinstalled it. Nothing better. Starts and backfires immediately. Start it again and it will idle for a few seconds then start to shake like it's going to rip the motor mounts off the backfires and stops. Can someone answer a question about the two places on the carb that look to be lead filled? I drilled one out thinking it was a jet I could rebuild and now it leaks. It's on the front lower part of the carb near the bottom of the float bowl. So it's coming back off.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:50 AM

Question California or fed on new carb vacuum lines.

I finally quit messing with the old carb. It would not clean enough for me. Got a remand one from gauranteed carb. Question is the carb i had, had what seems to be a california vacuum on the left side of the carb back near the throttle linkage. My questions is do i need it or just let it swing and hook up the rest of the vacuum lines.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would have considered a weber if I were you.

You said you soaked old carb in carb cleaner....you mean the gallon of carb dip? the whole carb complete?

Or just the carb body?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 AM

The whole thing w/o electrical components. Then three pieces. The bottom secondary butterfly wouldn't budge. So got a reman.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:26 AM

Backfiring is a sign of bad timing, or bad mixture, you should check the ignition coil, a bad spark could cause some serious misfiring, but above all I think that the cylindersare getting flooded. I'm with HighLux, why not a Weber carb? It would give you better performance...

Last edited by okamikai; 05-13-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by okamikai
Backfiring is a sign of bad timing, or bad mixture, you should check the ignition coil, a bad spark could cause some serious misfiring, but above all I think that the cylindersare getting flooded. I'm HighLux, why not a Weber carb? It would give you better performance...
You are highlux? Pardon me? lol. Seriously...you don't want my rep...lol.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
You are highlux? Pardon me? lol. Seriously...you don't want my rep...lol.
Lol FAiL, It was supposed to say "I'm with HighLux", sorry for the misunderstanding u.u
Old 05-13-2014, 01:43 PM

Honestly I put maybe 1000 miles a year on the truck right now, so I didn't feel the need for the weber. If it was a 4x4 I'd probably drive it more.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:50 PM

I would have kept my factory carb on the trekker...I rebuilt it..but when rebuilding it I drilled out the rivits to service the choke...and it was all jacked up. Was a bitch to start...when it warmed up it was ok.

I looked at rebuild units...but the weber was not a bunch more money. And it is the perfect time to desmog like pumkinyota and kawasaki636's desmog threads.

I dont mind rebuilding carbs. But the aisin carb is just a turd. I have reciepts for the trekker..where over the course of its life...the carb was worked on several times.

Toyota should have used a weber to begin with...lol.

I didn't know about the fake ones either...till I did a little research about installing it before I bought it.

How about a picture of this litle 2wd beast. We love em all 2wd or 4wd. (this is were I set you up and steal your cab)

Where you located?
Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 PM

Not to far from Ofallan. North central IA right now. Was in SE Ia but moved up here. Working on selling and moving back down to SE or South Central Ia.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 AM

OK. Replaced the carb. Fuel filter was replaced earlier. Change ignition module and double checked gap. looks good. Starts fine. full throttle rpm is about 1500 to 1800 rpm then it starts backfiring. you have to feather the throttle to keep it running. New spark plugs.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:39 AM

Check for air leaks at the intake manifold. Pop the valve cover off see if u skipped a tooth on chain or if distributor theeth are wore
Old 05-19-2014, 02:28 PM

Will do.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:25 PM

You may want to check your total timing as well. If the mechanical advance is screwy it could cause this potentially. Also, take a good look at your fuel lines/fuel pump/fuel pressure.

1800 is about when your main fuel circuit begins taking over from the idle circuit, could be a float problem.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 AM

Ok I will look at that also. I sprayed carb cleaner around the carb and intake and didn't seem to get any response from the engine. Though it was running so bad though it really didn't respond. I am guessing that its the fuel system and will start to diagnose that.
Thanks to all so far for the ideas. Will post what I find.

Quick Reply: Is it Carb or Timing