Buy another '85 SFA\EFI SR5 4Runner? - YotaTech Forums


Go Back   >


84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Buy another '85 SFA\EFI SR5 4Runner?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Dingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 308
Buy another '85 SFA\EFI SR5 4Runner?

OK, I hate to come here and ask such a vague and hard to answer question, but here goes~
I already have one '85 4runner modified for off road use. It's pretty fun and I'm happy with it. While working on that 4Runner, I came across another '85 SFA\EFI 4Runner in fairly good shape tho alot of miles at nearly 200k. I bought it and it's been sitting next to my garage for about year. No reason to drive it much.

So, yesterday I see another '85 SFA\EFI 4Runner, this one an SR5 with 99k on it. Some rust on the body, frame looks OK but I haven't taken a screwdriver to it yet. The guy wants $1500 for it which I think is a little much. I'm still tempted to buy the thing since it's that gold color (like that 4Runner the Texas guy has) which is cool. I haven't driven it but the guy says it runs great and he just bought it from the original owner.
But, if I buy it, what will I do with it? Turn it into a daily driver? I hate to buy it and let it sit like the other stock 4runner I have.

Man, I can't decide and figured I'm post my quandry here. Any tips or advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Buy another '85 SFA\EFI SR5 4Runner?-4runner1.jpg  
Dingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Contributing Member
 
olharleyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: maryland
Posts: 3,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingman View Post
OK, I hate to come here and ask such a vague and hard to answer question, but here goes~
I already have one '85 4runner modified for off road use. It's pretty fun and I'm happy with it. While working on that 4Runner, I came across another '85 SFA\EFI 4Runner in fairly good shape tho alot of miles at nearly 200k. I bought it and it's been sitting next to my garage for about year. No reason to drive it much.

So, yesterday I see another '85 SFA\EFI 4Runner, this one an SR5 with 99k on it. Some rust on the body, frame looks OK but I haven't taken a screwdriver to it yet. The guy wants $1500 for it which I think is a little much. I'm still tempted to buy the thing since it's that gold color (like that 4Runner the Texas guy has) which is cool. I haven't driven it but the guy says it runs great and he just bought it from the original owner.
But, if I buy it, what will I do with it? Turn it into a daily driver? I hate to buy it and let it sit like the other stock 4runner I have.

Man, I can't decide and figured I'm post my quandry here. Any tips or advice?
You could give it to me and I will put it to good use.
olharleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Dingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 308
I'll sell it to you for $2500 and you can fly down and drive it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olharleyman View Post
You could give it to me and I will put it to good use.
Dingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
Registered User
 
eightnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 934
open up a museum to showcase all your classics
eightnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Smokey74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jonestown, PA.
Posts: 56
That seems dirt cheap to me but I guess maybe it just depends on your area. I just paid a little over $3,000 for a 1985 4Runner with over 200,000 miles and an auto tranny because it was the only decent one I could find within an hours drive. Eventually, I'll swap in a 5 spd and turn it into a rock buggy but for know it's going to be my winter driver and weekend toy. To answer your question.. If it was me, I'd buy it.
Smokey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Dingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 308
Thx Smokie for an honest answer (you other guys are fun too) and yeah, around here that isn't dirt cheap. But I was under the impression that this 4R was hard to find, but I've found 3 in 2 years without even looking very hard.

Hmmm, I think I'll offer the guy 1K for it and maybe we'll see.

Anyone else have advice? Like they are not hard to find and I'm wasting my time/money?
Dingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 762
they are hard to find, at least for a decent price (decent in the northwest would be under $2k, and at that price they're all a little beat and need something). otherwise you'd be paying $3,500 and above. so i guess, ya, it depends on where you're at. Here with the mountains, snow, beaches, rain and trails they bring top dollar, plus its fairly liberal so theres less pressure on driveing american. you could buy it and post it on ebay and prolly make a quick grand.
michalik_piotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Fossilized
Staff
iTrader: (4)
 
dropzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: PNW
Posts: 17,039
Buy it and drive it for a little while. Sell it next spring for some profit. A 4Runner like that would not last long in Portland...
dropzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Dingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 308
well then. I think I'll withdraw 1500 just in case. I'll call him tomorrow and ask for a test drive.
Dingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Smokey74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jonestown, PA.
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingman View Post
well then. I think I'll withdraw 1500 just in case. I'll call him tomorrow and ask for a test drive.

I wonder how many hours it would be to Iowa??
Smokey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Smokey74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jonestown, PA.
Posts: 56
Damn! I just did a search on line for 85 4Runners for sale within 300 miles of me.. I found one with no price listed. I wish they were easy to find around here so I didn't have to spend $3,200 for one with an auto tranny. I've been looking, this is the best I can find and I pick it up on Friday.
Smokey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Dingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 308
I'm thinking that if I buy this gold 4runner, then I'll have to sell the grey one. I have too many vehicles already and not enough parking. Or money. But I like the gold one better, it has a sunroof...lol
Dingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Dingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 308
Hey, I like the AT. That's what my offroad runner is. Maybe I'll trade you for my grey one, depending on the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey74 View Post
Damn! I just did a search on line for 85 4Runners for sale within 300 miles of me.. I found one with no price listed. I wish they were easy to find around here so I didn't have to spend $3,200 for one with an auto tranny. I've been looking, this is the best I can find and I pick it up on Friday.
Dingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Smokey74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jonestown, PA.
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingman View Post
Hey, I like the AT. That's what my offroad runner is. Maybe I'll trade you for my grey one, depending on the details.
Sounds good to me. I'll have to check on the drive time but it's possible. Here's a post with the only photo's I have now. I'll take more on Friday. http://www.yotatech.com/f115/85-4run...-gears-124279/
Smokey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 AM   #15
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Dingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 308
I looked at the pics of your rig, and it's way nicer than the one I'm looking at. I highly doubt you'd want to do the trade.

Also, sorry to say that I'm more interested in a rig that hasn't been lifted and is more stock than the one you have. It is a good looking rig tho, looks to be in great shape for an '85. My grey one is in pretty good shape (body and rust wise) but the dang head gasket blew out last year and that's why I've parked it. I need to get that fixed before I do anything with it.
It was a good thought tho.

Last edited by Dingman; 09-12-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Dingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Smokey74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jonestown, PA.
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingman View Post
I looked at the pics of your rig, and it's way nicer than the one I'm looking at. I highly doubt you'd want to do the trade.

Also, sorry to say that I'm more interested in a rig that hasn't been lifted and is more stock than the one you have. It is a good looking rig tho, looks to be in great shape for an '85. My grey one is in pretty good shape (body and rust wise) but the dang head gasket blew out last year and that's why I've parked it. I need to get that fixed before I do anything with it.
It was a good thought tho.


Gotcha..

My troubles may be solved anyway.. I just found an 87 4Runner that's been rolled. It's pretty much junk but the entire drivetrain is in place and only has 104,000 miles on it. There's my 5-spd, transfer case and shafts plus I'll get a spare 22RE motor out of it and a nice set of wheels. The guy wants $600 and he will deliver it. I think I'm gonna do it.
Smokey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #17
Registered User
 
rdlsz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingman View Post
My grey one is in pretty good shape (body and rust wise) but the dang head gasket blew out last year and that's why I've parked it. I need to get that fixed before I do anything with it.
It was a good thought tho.
It is not that hard to replace the head gasket. Where are you in Iowa? I never see any 1st gen Runners here in IL.

Rob
rdlsz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #18
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Dingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlsz24 View Post
It is not that hard to replace the head gasket. Where are you in Iowa? I never see any 1st gen Runners here in IL.
Rob
No, not that hard and I'll be doing it sometime inthe next 3-4 months. I live and travel around in central Iowa. based out of Des Moines.
Dingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #19
Fossilized
Staff
iTrader: (4)
 
dropzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: PNW
Posts: 17,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingman View Post
I'm thinking that if I buy this gold 4runner, then I'll have to sell the grey one. I have too many vehicles already and not enough parking. Or money. But I like the gold one better, it has a sunroof...lol
RV Storage site?
dropzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #20
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Dingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdropzone View Post
RV Storage site?
Not a bad idea but I guess I could use my friends farm up in northern Iowa. I could put one up there with a cover over it. I know the damn mice would eat it tho.
Dingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MMA_Alex's 1990 4Runner Build Thread MMA_Alex 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) 22 06-14-2016 05:58 PM
FS[International]: Supra AFM crashburnoveride Misc Stuff (Vehicle Related) 3 08-28-2015 09:20 PM
Cold Start Issues Yota.Jay 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 3 07-23-2015 08:08 PM
1992 toyota 22re dpridgeon3 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 21 07-09-2015 01:18 PM
Which Toyota do I have Cplmike Newbie Tech Section 5 07-08-2015 08:47 PM


Tags
4runner, 4x4, 8485, 85, alloys, buy, dd, dingman, efi, efisfa, gold, sacramento, sfa, spd, sr5, sr58587, toyota

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:47 PM.


2010 InternetBrands, Inc.