84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

auto to 5spd swap in my 85....i need some directions

Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
auto to 5spd swap in my 85....i need some directions

as i was poking around on here ive been looking at alot of threads about auto to 5spd swaps (tumor21's write up for his 87 pickup was a great write-up, and he has taken plenty of helpfull pics), and wanted to start one with my little knowledge plus everybody's expert knowledge to come up with a "set" of directions and guidelines from start to finish, just as something to look off of while you do your swap, to make sure you dont forget anything in the process.

so here we go (feel free to edit this list, so when the thread is all done, it will be a complete list of directions in neumercal order. i know i will leave alot of stuff out, so just throw stuff out there and ill put it in order)

tools needed-idk, all i can think of is basic sockets, wrenches, and some cutting and grinding tools

Parts needed-slave cylinder, clutch assymbley and bracketry, driveshaft extensions (possibly), transmission and transfercase of your choice?
  1. mount the clutch and brackets, slave cylinder, and all the hoses (ive heard you can do this a few days in advance so that way you when you do the swap you can jump right in and get to work)
  2. place transmission in neutral?
  3. remove all the linkages, wires, cooler hoses, and label them?
  4. drain all the fluids in the transmission and transfer case (and engine oil, coolent etc.?)
  5. remove the gear selector in the cab, and all the trim peices
  6. support the rear of the transmission with a floor jack, or transmission jack
  7. unbolt the transmission and transer case, from the mounts and the bellhousing, and remove the crossmember last?
  8. drop out the transmission and transfer case
  9. plug all the transmission and transfer case cooler lines?
  10. slide the new tranny and t-case under the vehicle, raise it up and test fit it?
  11. install new transmission and transfer case mounts if needed
  12. once everything is mesuared and fits good, install new transmission and transfer case, and bolt it into place
  13. focus on what needs to be trimmed in the cab, to get the gear and range selection "sticks" to fit properly
  14. hookup all the linkages, hydralic hoses, and coolent hoses (if there are any?)
that was all off the top of my head, so im sure im leaving alot of stuff out, or mixed up the oder of everything....

so you get the idea, add to the list, change stuff up, modify what ive put down, etc. etc. so that way when we're all done, we will have a good list of directions for everybody to look off of
Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not sure if your clutch Assembly u included fly wheel, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, wire with connectors to by-pass park neutral switch. also depending on how u want to do your 4wd u will need to bypass and hook up sensor for that, so it knows when u are in 4wd. also depending how u want to interior to look u need shift boots and bezel from a 5 speed. also make sure u have the right speed sensor on your trans u get or u could end up having to get that too. (cable or electric driven)
Old 03-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Better to find a truck to swap all the stuff with..
And in your case, you might consider an entire uhh.. new truck..
imo, i'd be fixing the cracked frame and mass rust issues..