84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85' pickup major drivetrain malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85' pickup major drivetrain malfunction

First off I'd like to thank all the users of this site for the wealth of quality information I've received over the years from reading stories on these forums. Here's the deal, my '85(22re 4x4 W56a) is currently only functioning in 4th gear the other gears clunk/knock/tick pretty bad now. I completely lost reverse several months back and have been driving it since with no issues. The current issues started out as knocking and clicking in every gear except fourth or when the clutch is in.That was 2 days ago. Today i was leaving a friends house (nursed it there trying use fourth only to get some advice and he suggested input shaft bearing/new trans) he called me up afterwards and said my driveshaft was moving up and down approximately 6" as I roughly drove away. Anyone have a similar situation and gain some knowledge they can pass on to me? Is there more of an issue here than just the trans? I'm assuming I need to put a new trans in. I live in Wisconsin and have only been able to find a G52 out of an 87' (i know slight mods are needed for shifter etc.) This truck has made me a true toyota lover and to get her back on the road/trail is very important to me.

Thank you for your time,
Bob
Old 05-03-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah...you should have stopped when you lost reverse.

You probably knocked of gear teeth...destroyed bearings....trashed the whole shebang.

Marlin sells remans pretty reasonable....or find a used one here and have it shipped.

Do your rear main seal and clutch while its out.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Thanks Highlux. I'd like to dig into and replace as much as I can while the trans is out. On a sidenote, could the trans issues have compromised or damaged my driveshafts and components or vice-versa. A quick inspection today revealed this.

Rear
Name:  IMG_20140503_190627967_zps7sdbzwuk.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  90.0 KB some kind of fresh grease/fluid can be seen sourounding output into shaft.

Front
Name:  IMG_20140503_190725882_zpszmp9aluo.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  70.4 KB yoke seems extended with fresh grease visible. Never noticed this before so I don't know if its normal, guessing its not.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-03-2014, 05:51 PM

Not sure on the shafts....check the joints well after you pull the trans...you will have them out for that.

I imagine that trans is pretty toasted inside...if there is even one gear toasted...you will crap when you see what hard parts like gears cost.

I tend to think the good used trans in the way to go....unless you have a press and bearing separators and pullers and micrometers...etc. And skill.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Hard to tell just what the prolonged driving may have done to the rest of the drive train

I would bet the cost to rebuild that trans it will be cheaper to go with a Marlin one.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I say keep checking the salvage yards...drive a few hours if you have to. I about gave up searching when my W56A gave up a while ago and there was nothing in the immediate area, but managed to find an '88 4runner with a blown engine, but perfect W56B about 4 hrs away.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Marlin is swamped right now. Minimum 10 week backorder on W56's. Understandable seeing as how myself and many others consider them the best. Has anyone tried or know of any other quality rebuilds besides marlin?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:06 PM

If someone can tell me the correct way to identify a tranny I may have a used one. It's in an 87 but I'm pretty sure I looked at it compared to the one in my 85 and it was the same. I'm located in Iowa but my mom lives in Wisconsin so we may be able to work out shipping relatively easy.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:08 PM

When my 87's input shaft bearing started to howl (usually the first chain in toyota trans sefl machining destruction)
I super lucket out and found a trans a couple miles away on craigslist. No price. Called the guy. He said a buddy left it there a few years ago and told him just to sell it. He is like what will you give me. I said hows $100? He agreed.

Terrys87 was up on guard duty and put the trans in for me since IM all gimped up....thing shifts beautifully. Quiet. I was blessed by the toyota gods on that one.

I agree it would only be 300 bucks are so for a full rebuild kit...its just a matter of someone having the tools or access to them...and knowledge to rebuild a transmission.

After dumping the clutch a million times in my 81 Corolla...one of my first cars (had 2 first cars my divorced parents communicated so well) My stepfather coached me through a rebuild on it. He was a surgical instrument maker so he was an excellent machinist and such. Worked on cool stuff in the airforce in the 60's like the x-15. So it went together nice. Worked perfect. He told me in the mean step dad voice....I know how this happened. YOu are on your own next time. Stop dumping the clutch. Its not a racecar.

Of course it happened again. The ONLY time my mom ever rode with me anywhere...my trans blows up again. Lost everything but 4th...so I had no money for a new bearing and stuff. I made a deal with a friend with a 79 corolla with a 4speed. I put it in my car. syncro in second was bad...and the gearing was really wierd. It chirped third though~! Long story short...I ended up taking the input shaft and bearing from the 4speed. it fit in the 5speed...and it lasted 100k more for me and ran perfect when I sold it years later.

So moral is...these are toyotas not race cars. Stop dumping the clutch on pavement. Take action soon as you hear the input shaft bearing making noise. (low growl in nuetral...light chatter taking off in first)

Once the input is bad enough...your trans is doomed. If you have a trans that eats input bearings....change the input shaft.

I'm rambling.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 85sr5excab
If someone can tell me the correct way to identify a tranny I may have a used one. It's in an 87 but I'm pretty sure I looked at it compared to the one in my 85 and it was the same. I'm located in Iowa but my mom lives in Wisconsin so we may be able to work out shipping relatively easy.
Marlin crawlers website had trans pics up to id the trans. Check it out www.marlincrawler.com
Old 05-03-2014, 07:25 PM

I agree Highlux. Preventative maintenance helps a lot too. Thanks 85sr5excab! I'll look into the easiest way to I.D. the trans you have and reply. I'd be very interested if it will hook up. I'm a traveling welder so I got no issue coming your way or meeting wherever. Keep me posted
Old 05-03-2014, 07:45 PM

Well according to marlins website (thanks highlux!) It should be a w56-b. I'll try to get over to where it's stored and check tomorrow. The good thing is that the body is completely stripped off the truck and the rear half of the frame is hacked off so it should be relatively easy to pull the tranny out. Where in Wisconsin are u located out of curiosity?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 PM

Top shift, exactly what I'm after. I'm in Eau Claire
Old 05-03-2014, 07:54 PM

Thats how yotatech works.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gojira87
Top shift, exactly what I'm after. I'm in Eau Claire
Rite on. My mom's in Hartford. We'll work out the details tomorrow if it is in fact the correct tranny. Hope I can help u out.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:03 PM

Sounds good. Thank you
Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 AM

It's definitely a w-56. I'm pulling it out as I post this.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 85sr5excab
It's definitely a w-56. I'm pulling it out as I post this.
Thats impossible!!! lol.

Get on it, get er done.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM

Hope all goes well. I prepped mine for a drop yesterday. Can't wait to tear it apart and learn more about it. Found a running 88' 22re 4x4 on craigslist for 500 bucks last night. Hopefully she's as nice as the description so I can still have a driveable Yota while mine gets fixed. Appreciate the update keep me posted
Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM

http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto/4453036848.html

Quick Reply: 85' pickup major drivetrain malfunction