84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

'84 4x4 losing power on inclines

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '84 4x4 losing power on inclines

I bought a 1984 Toyota 4x4 this past year and discovered that it loses power when I'm at higher speeds on inclines. I can be pushing 80 in 5th gear no problem, but as soon as I hit a moderate incline, I lose a lot of power even when downshifting. There's not really any sputtering or jerking or sound. On the most severe hill on the highway where I live, I've gotten down to 30 mph. It's a bummer, and it's kind of dangerous, so I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about what I should investigate and try to fix first.

The guy I bought it from said he avoided taking it out on the highway and according to his records, he had the fuel pump, timing chain set, timing cover gasket, and cylinder head gasket set replaced a few months before he sold and I bought it. He loved the truck and took really good care of it, so I'm thinking he was working on this problem even while he had it up for sale. He really needed the money, so he sold it before he had it figured out.

Any ideas? The thing's a beast in 1st-3rd gears and in 4th and 5th on no or little incline. It's got a little over 200,000 miles on it, but I have a feeling it's still got some life left, especially if I can figure out this problem.

Could the timing chain still be a little off? What should I check and try myself before I go getting the carburetor overhauled?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2016, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LaurenK
I bought a 1984 Toyota 4x4 this past year and discovered that it loses power when I'm at higher speeds on inclines. I can be pushing 80 in 5th gear no problem, but as soon as I hit a moderate incline, I lose a lot of power even when downshifting. There's not really any sputtering or jerking or sound. On the most severe hill on the highway where I live, I've gotten down to 30 mph. It's a bummer, and it's kind of dangerous, so I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about what I should investigate and try to fix first.

The guy I bought it from said he avoided taking it out on the highway and according to his records, he had the fuel pump, timing chain set, timing cover gasket, and cylinder head gasket set replaced a few months before he sold and I bought it. He loved the truck and took really good care of it, so I'm thinking he was working on this problem even while he had it up for sale. He really needed the money, so he sold it before he had it figured out.

Any ideas? The thing's a beast in 1st-3rd gears and in 4th and 5th on no or little incline. It's got a little over 200,000 miles on it, but I have a feeling it's still got some life left, especially if I can figure out this problem.

Could the timing chain still be a little off? What should I check and try myself before I go getting the carburetor overhauled?

Thanks!

Could be timing chain, but I would check your timing with a light.

Also 22rs have a vacuum advance on distributor.

One hose closer to radiator and one hose closer to engine. The one closer to radiator gives you power by advancing timing on acceleration.

There are instructions online but it's late here.

My 84 4Runner doesn't like hold to much either. But I got heavy front n rear bumper and gear wth 31in tires and stock gears....
Old 02-09-2016, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could be several reasons some of which are ignition related (how's the ignitor/coil etc?), fuel related (carb floats) or vacuum (incorrect routing or leaks). Will require some methodical troubleshooting.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Pretty much every 22r-series 4wd pickup I've personally driven or witnessed on a real hill goes through the same thing, you'll likely end up in 3rd to get to the top. Same goes for driving on flat roads at speed, you can definitely get up to 80mph but if there's wind or if you're trying to pass someone at that speed then good luck.