84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

4x4 Will Not Engage

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Will Not Engage

I took my truck out today 4x4 in the mud for the first time since I acquired it in 2015. It was my first time offroading so it was a fun experience but ran into a problem where the front wheels were not moving. This is what happened:
  1. I locked the wheels manually.
  2. I shifted the t-case to 4L which I believe I was in 4L as the 4x4 light came on and I think I shifted as far as possible. Also, I believe I shifted in neutral but dont recall exactly.
  3. I got stuck in the mud which confirmed that the front wheels were not moving at all. So I had to be pulled out.
  4. Then my buddy got stuck on another trail and I attempted to pull him out but again the front wheels were not turning so I couldnt help.
  5. Afterwards, I had my buddy check that the drive shaft was spinning which it was. I also tried with the hubs in free mode (or regular driving) and the drive shaft was not spinning.
  6. I tried to do a burnout and the front wheels did not spin either.
  7. I struggled to get up some hills especially at the top so I switched to 4H to get more speed which worked but again the front wheels were not turning.
  8. FYI, I had the front axles serviced with a brand new parts from Marlin Crawler since it was leaking although one tire still leaks so I am not sure if that is related to the 4x4 issues.
Any suggestions to correct and also how can I test since the truck is now in my garage?

Thanks

Last edited by shisha1999; 01-14-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Jack up one tire, lock the hub's, transmission in neutral, transfer case in H2. Try to spin the raised tire it should spin the front drive shaft.

And it's way pasted bed time so I could be wrong..