84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1985 4runner having some problems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 4runner having some problems...

Hey all,
To start, i have a 1985 4runner with the 22re. For the past year ive been having starting issues. No crank no start. I knew it was the starter so I replaced it. Shortly after i had fuel problems and the fuel pump went out and wouldnt start. Replaced the fuel pump. Now a new problem
Recently, its been getting colder in ABQ and whenever i leave the truck out for the night, the next morning i have to roll start it. When it does turn over, it wines and groans and is fighting itself. When it catches, only two or three cylinders fire and blue smoke shoots out the back when the accelerator is pressed... as the rpms get higher, it finally runs decent and I can drive it. I have no idea what it could be. I've searched forever and have had no luck finding anything. I replaced the plugs and wires about 4 years ago, ignitor and distributor has never been replaced. Before I throw more money, I wanted to know what the community has had problems with.
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-29-2015, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would start with a complete tune up using great quality parts. I get my rotor, cap, plugs from Toyota, my wires from ebay, and a part store fuel filter.

If it is being difficult to start in the cold that could be a sign of the Cold Start Injector Timing Switch failing. Some times cleaning it will fix it. It is the brown sensor under your Thermostat. You can check it per a repair manual with resistance check.

If it is missing on a cylinder, the connectors on the 85-87 is a poor design and can be replaced from some on line stores. I like connectorsfast but hear rockauto sells them as well.

If it is missing due to a fuel issue, it could be the crimps in the injector harness, another poor design but does not sound like it just yet. Check everything else first. If it a crimp, check on the first page of my 88 runner build link below for Non Firing Injectors.

As old as your tune up parts, I suspect that is your biggest issue.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:36 PM

Tune up

Alright, so i did a tune up with plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Im still having the intermittent starting issue and after a roll start, lots of unburnt fuel and smoke come out the exhaust and i have to hold the throttle down until the missing subsides and the truck can warm up. I was reading it could be the aux air pump or could i be looking at a different problem all together. Thanks in advace for any advice.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

As far as the No Starting issue, are you meaning that you are just getting a clicking sound but the starter is not engaging? If that is the case, you can try replacing the contacts in the starter, cleaning the Starter Relay and that will help, but RADS thread has some information that might help https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...00/index2.html here is some more info that might help https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51746363
Old 01-17-2016, 07:20 AM

Tune up

Originally Posted by Terrys87
As far as the No Starting issue, are you meaning that you are just getting a clicking sound but the starter is not engaging? If that is the case, you can try replacing the contacts in the starter, cleaning the Starter Relay and that will help, but RADS thread has some information that might help https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...00/index2.html here is some more info that might help https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51746363
It sounds like the starter isnt engaging. I dont know yet but ill check out those conections and let you know. Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2016, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

As far as your unburnt fuel, not really sure on that. The 22re is finicky. Are you meaning the auxiliary air valve instead of pump? When I get a used 22, I just do a long list of things to one. Clean all the carbon from the EGR and the EGR itself, clean all the sensors, make sure all the hoses and hose connections are free of carbon and routed correctly, adjust the valves, replace the O2 sensor, and I like to do the Seafoam treatment by letting slowly suck some Seafoam thru the brake hose.

While cleaning your sensors, test them, Haynes Manual has some great steps for that. Make sure your hoses are routed correctly. Test your Air Flow Meter per the manual, I don't think I have ever had the AFM throw a code unless it is not hooked up. I have had some bad AFMs. Make sure the flapper is operating freely and smoothly. These trucks do not like any kind of air leaks.

The 85-87 injector connectors are a poor design and I usually have to replace them from an online store. I would also run a compression test and see what you are getting.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:53 PM

Everyone, i have amazing news. First of all, thank you everyone who posted, i really appreciate it. So, I took my starter out since i was curious. I took it to my local parts store and had them test it. Turns out my "brand new" starter was burnt out already. Since it was under warranty, i got a replacement and installed it. It has been about a week since and i haven't had another starting problem. My stumble and missing at startup has gone away as well. Time to focus on more important projects now!!!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Great to hear the news and that you got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know what it was. I think I have only had to replace one starter as it had a cracked housing. I just replace the contacts and plunger in them and they work great for me. If you have issues with this starter, I would suggest finding a local guy that can rebuild them as most part stores send them to Mexico and have them rebuilt and don't usually do the best job.

You may need to search around to find a shop that still rebuilds them locally and that knows what they are doing. Same thing if you ever run into an alternator issue. Have one rebuilt from a local shop instead of having it swapped out at a parts store. In the alternators, you can replace the brushes easily and that will get most of them back on the road. You will need a soldering iron to replace the brushes. If the brushes don't fix an alternator, it will need rebuilt and is probably beyond the ability of most home mechanics.

Just wanted to put that out there for future reference on starter or alternator. Great to hear you got fixed.