Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Truck hunt!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck hunt!

Ok, I'm the new guy, just joined today. A little about my self, right now I own a Silverado 2500HD Duramax 2004 crewcab, but I am in the process of selling it. I am wanting something I can have fun in still, but not pay a fortune for every tank of fuel, or for every modification. So I guess this is where I start my question, and it involves the "Pre '84 trucks" section, and the "84-85 Trucks and 4Runners" section.
Ok, I am currently looking at several Toyota pickup trucks. the ones I am most interested in being a '81 long wheel base 20R, and another being a short wheel base 22R '82 model. Both trucks are ok, but neither perfect. Well, I guess for the age their not bad. There that is out of the way.
Now the real question, I need help with basically a break down of all solid front axle trucks, because these are the ones I am mainly interested in. Maybe someone has some advice on the ones to stay away from, and maybe the ones to be on the look out for. I like to mud ride, nothing dumb, just good Alabama mud, and I occasionally pull my 4-wheeler around to different locations. I would like a truck that can do both of these things and maybe pull a 33-35" tire while doing it. This may not be an option because of power, but that is the hole point of this wright up, just some advise from the Toyota drivers, because you guys know what these trucks will and won't do.
So, any advice would be greatly appreciated on any SFA truck, and the only reason I am interested in the SFA trucks, is that I think they would be easier to work with, and again I could be wrong. Thanks for any input into this question...Looking to become a Toyota family member very soon
Old 02-23-2008, 05:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i hear the 22RE is the best out of the R series motors..because it has EFI...the trucks are great...but alot of them are rust pits....so get a tetnus (spelling??) shot before u work on them...for 33" or 35" tires u will need a 4in" lift...(run hysteer its best it replaces the current steering which sucks big time) and maybe a 1.5 to 2.in body lift just to save some $$$...if you put 5.29 gearing in the axles...thennnnn it will have more power...and the mpg's will be back to kinda normal...i have a 1980 4x4 with the 20R..its GREAT for goin in the mud and clay...i have 31x10.50 super swampers TSL's...which helps it ALOT!..it has enough power to pull me along...but i definately wish i had more power..(hence why a cummins 4BT diesel swap is along the lines somewhere)...just maintain the truck..and it will last forrreeeevvveeerrr....mines got over 250,000 miles on it (my odometer dont work so i was told it has at least that many...if not more)...good luck the search
Old 02-23-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
welcome to toyland, be careful you may never go back. haha jk. but not really. anyway, one big odvious thing is the size of the truck your coming from. just if you havent noticed toyotas are bout the smallest trucks expecally the 1st gen(79-83) the 84 to 85 are a little bit bigger(room wise inside) and still have the straight axle you want. power is another thing these things stock never made it over 110 hp!! there fun little trucks dont get me wrong though. well im not sure what else to tell you other than surf these links and read read read as much as you can its crazy how much you can learn on just these fourms.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459180
probablly everything you ever wanna no about toyotas
Old 02-23-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires, gearing, locker, winch and some rock sliders on a 79-83 truck and your good to go, you can clear 33x12.5's at stock height with no worries. My opinion is to find a short wheelbase and keep it at stock height, keep the stock steering. You could really increase clearance with an high clearance transfer case cross member which is alot cheaper than a lift and will gain you a ton of clearance underneath, That in my opinion would be a sweet rig.

But if you have the money to spend you could always get some nice springs from All pro, Downey, Marlin or Trail gear aswell as a few other higher end brands that have nicer springs than the cheaper kits. A high steer kit and IFS steering box, U-bolt flip's, Driveshaft etc etc, It gets a little more expensive, It doesn't have to be.. but theres no sense in lifting it and leaving out things that are going to hinder ground clearance or be un-safe.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:19 PM

So is the 22RE the fuel injected version of the 22R. Like I stated above, I found a '82 pickup with a 22R, but you are suggesting the 22RE. I am interrested in the lifts you mentioned above camo31, but I would prefer to do a 100% suspension lift, and no body lift. What would you suggest for that? Lastly, Do you think the 22RE could pull 35" and a 4-wheeler+trailer. I also had a 2.2 litre s-10, but it would barely pull itself out of a hole, much less a 4-wheeler.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:27 PM

wellll...depends on what your willing to spend...for about $1500 or $1600 u can have the nicest 1st gen lift around...(MC 4,5,or 6 in lift...all the same price) but its a VERY FLEXY lift...made for rock crawling...but if u want cheaper...then go with a more widely known name like rancho..skyjacker...procomp..somebody like that..good lifts..but not as flexy as the MC lift....i would say a 4in. lift would clear 35's..as for pulling a 4wheeler...hmmm...regear to 5.29's...and get a lightweight trailer...then maybe...it will probably be slow...but should be fine...the 22RE has more power...and the 22RTE (turbo'd) has even more power...the 22R has about 96hp or somethin around that...stock from the factory....so not much hp there...the 22RTE has around 145 i think..im not sure about just the 22RE prob a lil bit more than the 22R..so around 110 or so i guess..dont expect it to be a 3/4 ton diesel hat can pull just about anything (not everything cuz it is a chevy..now a dodge cummins...just about anything you want it to)..and the toyota is SMALL and NOT powerfull...but a simple motor swap can fix that...lol..good luck
Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 PM

FYI the 22re has 116hp stock and has 140lbs ft-lbf @ 2800 RPM which is pretty good for a 4banger
Old 02-23-2008, 10:30 PM

its either 116 or 119, cant remember exactly. but with a toyota, you cant go wrong.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:50 AM

Well, if I do find a good body somwhere, but it isn't the 22re, lets say its the 20r...Is a 22re swap ready and available?or for that matter a 22rte,but I'm sure that is probaly a rare motor to find,I've never heard of it. Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to find and buy a good base to start with...and know my basics just a little.thanks...
Old 02-24-2008, 07:05 AM

One more question, has anyone heard of lcengeeniring chargers? They make them for the 22r and 22re. Is this something to look into, or just a big waste of money?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 AM

if youre going to swap a motor use the 3.4 5vz
Old 02-24-2008, 12:11 PM

why do people say "put the 3.4 in it" is there something special about the 3.4
Old 02-24-2008, 12:24 PM

its reliable, 190 hp, pretty good gas mileage and not so big that you need to hack everything away
not too hard to find, a lot of conversion kits and info available, plus its toyota and not ford chevy or buick like other swaps ;-)
Old 02-24-2008, 01:36 PM

off-topic: my friend has an 83 with a 22re he swears is stock. Is this possible?

Anyway, I think for the time being I'd leave the 20r, its reliable and has ok power, IMO.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:38 PM

85 was the first yr efi someone did a swap before ur buddy got it.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Try reading through some of this info.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...-facts-136369/
Old 02-24-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Freeman02081985
One more question, has anyone heard of lcengeeniring chargers? They make them for the 22r and 22re. Is this something to look into, or just a big waste of money?
Waste of money, for the price your not going to gain much performance, an engine swap would be alot cheaper, You could swap for a 5MGE out of a Supra/Celica/Cressida..160hp but be ready for some more serious tech involved, not so much fabrication but alot of wiring and you have to run a body lift(1.5") But I say just stick with the 20R/22R and re-gear to 5:29's, it will be slow but there isnt any point in going fast in these old trucks.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:56 PM

well, LC Eng has the reputation of good stuff....

My personal feeling..
IF you build up something to pump up the top end, but leave the bottom end built for Naturally aspirated, you are inviting trouble.

I had an 86 yota shortbed, Great truck. 22R engine w/ 5 spd. It was replaced with an 88 4runner with a 22RE w/ 5 spd.

Niether one had a solid axle.

I love fuel injection. I May consider a SAS, but not likely.

If I were to spend any serious money on modifications, It would be an e-locker and new gears. 4.88 most likely. And that would be so I could put on a set of good 32 or 33 " tires.

Otherwise, stock tires and stock gears for me.

I have yet to get into a lot of places where I needed to get built up.

The army taught me you can do quite a bit with a different attitude and how you go off-road.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Cool that you are looking at SA Toyotas. But I will be straight up with you that after driving a Duramax you will be very disappointed at the power and torque of a 4 cylinder Toyota. I have borrowed my brother in law's '05 duramax and love it with the exception of the battleship sized turning radius.

That being said, the SA Toyotas are great little trucks. In lifted form with 35's and 5.29's they are not the greatest gas sippers in the world. By lifting it it becomes a brick, not the most aerodynamic thing on the planet. Some will say that they will tow a small trailer fine, but in my experience with my old '84 and 35's, I did not think it was that great. I still need to regear my '81...I love my '81 due to the smaller size, fits places where my '05 would not. I just knew when I got it that it was not going to be a powerhouse.

If you do find one that you like, be sure to take a look at the floor pans, they like to have leaky windshields that lead to rust around the drivers/side front floor and body mount. If a seller will allow you, try to take a peak under the mats or carpeting. Rust also seems to accumulate at the rear corners of the inside of the cab. If you are a taller person, I would not recommend the 79-83, not much room to back up a seat...84-85 extra cab gives you some more cab room.

You will not find an 84 or earlier truck with a 22RE unless it has been converted. You might consider trolling the for sale section here: Yotatech Vehicles for sale where you might find a lifted truck with a 2.7 Liter that has been converted to SA.

People keep mentioning the 3.4 swap, great motor, not sure if one has been done in a first get toyota, might want to check out the engine swap folder some folks have done it reasonably priced, others have ended up at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Good sources for Lift kit research:
All Pro Off Road
Marlin Crawler

Aussie Locker mine was $259 delivered to my door, need to get another one for the front

hope you find what you meets your needs...let us know what you end up with

Last edited by rworegon; 08-14-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added link
Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 PM

Well I found another truck I like. It's a 1983 reg. cab short wheel base 22r with 213k on the speedo. It has very minimum body damage, well as far as I can see non, minus a little rust. Asking price is 4,000 firm, but I have to drive to Chino Valley, AZ to get it. Thats a long track from Birmingham Al. I'm used to driving though, so it's not that big of a deal....just a long way...Does anyone have an opinion about it being an ok deal or not?

Quick Reply: Truck hunt!