Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Supercharged 82 oil explosion, lost compression.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well you need to determine the cause of the oil leak, knowing from where it leaked can give you an idea on what is causing it. It is confusing that all cylinder compression are all low at once without seeing much damage visually. My thought is broken rings which caused excessive blowby, low compession and no start, but I could be waaay off. but blowing rings in all cylinders, or a headgasket on all cylinders is hard to believe. Have others look at it and give their thoughts, would suck to take everything appart and do more work than needed.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was more of a oil blowout.... didn't leak before that. But I was burning a little oil and coolant was disappearing.... so head gasket might not have been great, but the oil didn't come out of there.... valve cover seal/pcv valve and valve cover vent appear to br where the oil blew from...

a really good point though, maybe I should test my compression tester on my bike.... she should have really good compression... just to make sure the tester works.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
No photos of the bottom side of the gasket, it's the weak side in this failure mode.

Looking at the carnage in the original photos you can see it barfed oil out of the head block interface. Measure the head bolts and they'll show lots of stretching.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
No photos of the bottom side of the gasket, it's the weak side in this failure mode.

Looking at the carnage in the original photos you can see it barfed oil out of the head block interface. Measure the head bolts and they'll show lots of stretching.
well im no expert by any means. But the oil didn't come out from under the intake or under the exhaust manifold... it came out above both of those..., But I'm open to any reasonable ideas.... cause Idk

head bolts are measuring right under 6 1/2" from the collar appear to be 1/32 - 1/64 depending on the bolt(with a tape), My micro meter is at work, how much stretching should I be looking for? Are they made at that tight of a tolerance?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:52 PM

Good idea to test the compression tester
Old 03-01-2017, 06:41 PM

Well, update on my mess... compression tester seems to work... my parts 4runner has 200~psi in three cylinders and 0.... lol, it doesnt run well....
So The head went to a machine shop... it tested good...
Conclusion so far is that I blew the rings of my pistons or something from running to learn... would be nice if LCE had some info about their "bolt on" supercharger.... waste of money...
Well and ways, besides my 85 parts 4runner, Ive got a 87 22re motor... no wiring harness..... (the parts 4runner wiring is hacked to pieces.... )

Everything I've read is that 87 motor I cant just carburete with my parts from an 82.... haven't found a wiring harness option I wanna get into....
So currently thinking a 350, and I'll probably just build the 4runner with the Dirty little Whore (my truck) parts, she might be done...
Old 03-02-2017, 03:43 AM

I have an 87 carbureted harness for sale. Only wires I know have been messed with is the alternator plug. Had to use it on an 85 engine in an 81 truck. If you're interested pm me
Old 03-02-2017, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
I have an 87 carbureted harness for sale. Only wires I know have been messed with is the alternator plug. Had to use it on an 85 engine in an 81 truck. If you're interested pm me
thx. I'll keep that in mind... I don't see how the wiring harness would be different.... if I use all my electronics That are in my truck and the motor from the 87, I'm pretty sure I just need a carb intake manifold for a 85+ And maybe exhaust... would seem the easiest.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:42 AM

Also have an intake lol
Old 03-02-2017, 07:46 AM

Also have an intake lol
what do you want for that shipped to kc Missouri 64117?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:47 AM

$40 + shipping. Have you a quote asap
Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 AM

$40 + shipping. Have you a quote asap
Sweet, uh, aren't some of them different? Or will that for sure work on a second gen 22re??
maybe I should pull my intake off too see, and you can send me a pic of yours
Old 03-02-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by delmert
Sweet, uh, aren't some of them different? Or will that for sure work on a second gen 22re??
maybe I should pull my intake off too see, and you can send me a pic of yours
​​​​​​that's cool. I think it'll bolt right onto the head. I think there's six bolts and two nuts. I know it's 8 total
Old 03-02-2017, 02:04 PM

​​​​​​that's cool. I think it'll bolt right onto the head. I think there's six bolts and two nuts. I know it's 8 total
My 87 22re... bit of rust coloring... I flushed this thing so many times when it was running...
82 22r intake manifold.... fits right?
Just need a couple block off plates I think...
Old 03-02-2017, 02:11 PM

I have the EGR cooler port that goes there too. I'll throw that in if you want just so you don't have to fab a block off plate.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:18 PM

I have the EGR cooler port that goes there too. I'll throw that in if you want just so you don't have to fab a block off plate.
Well I should have that laying around, I kept all the stuff I pulled off my 82 22r. Just everything I read said they weren't interchangeable, plus I get paid to fab steel .
Thx for the offer though.... hell, that wiring harness may come in handy in the future.... eh...
Old 03-02-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delmert
Well I should have that laying around, I kept all the stuff I pulled off my 82 22r. Just everything I read said they weren't interchangeable, plus I get paid to fab steel .
Thx for the offer though.... hell, that wiring harness may come in handy in the future.... eh...
Have you tried every bolt and stud for the 82 intake to 87 head? Pic looks like you just have it "hanging there" with a few studs. You can also see the rear port is short a stud mount were the 87 head has a hole and the intake doesn't, this would likely lead to a nice intake leak. I've never tried this but through other projects I can tell you when everyone says it doesn't work, they're probably right. You gotta remember guys have been doing this stuff for 30 years or more. If it could be done then everything you read would say just that.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChinkTruck
Have you tried every bolt and stud for the 82 intake to 87 head? Pic looks like you just have it "hanging there" with a few studs. You can also see the rear port is short a stud mount were the 87 head has a hole and the intake doesn't, this would likely lead to a nice intake leak. I've never tried this but through other projects I can tell you when everyone says it doesn't work, they're probably right. You gotta remember guys have been doing this stuff for 30 years or more. If it could be done then everything you read would say just that.
there was holes in the head that didn't have bolts in them before... I don't have my 82 22r head right in front of me. But pretty sure it was the same. I can always put a stud in a bolt hole also...
Old 03-03-2017, 05:47 AM

This thread is starting to go everywhere, but here's my. 82 22r ( moved one stub up front when I put the supercharger on) and my 87 22r... will it drop in? . Ima find out. The green arrow shows the only difference I see, there's no threaded hole which is not used for carb intake... so, maybe this is a one way swap?
Old 03-09-2017, 05:45 PM

82 supercharger motor coming out....Its gotta get rebuilt to hold the super charger....
87 motor.... so the exhaust manifold might get tricky... can I just bolt up my other manifold to block off the top of the pears??

Trying to think if there is anything I just do in here before the other motor goes in...
Alright, here she is... ugly one... other then pull off all the accessories, any recommendations, dont wanna pull the motor apart...

Search this Thread