Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Steel Bumper Fabrication

Old 08-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Steel Bumper Fabrication

I finally got started on mocking up a new steel bumper for my '83 Pickup. I drew up the plans in CAD and printed them out to scale on a wide format plotter. I then mounted the blueprint on foamcore and sliced it up, folded and taped it together. The way I created the plans allowed me to cut out one large piece that I can then bend into shape. This will help assembly and reduce welding when I fab it up with steel.

It looked good when I mocked it up on my truck today. The design also allows me to retain the lower valance and doesn't require any modification to the frame or body. It will be a bolt on bumper with holes cut for turn signals (haven't decided if I want to use the factory turn signals yet), top mounted fog lights and tow hooks. It can also accomodate a winch as well.

My question for you guys is what gauge steel should I use? I was thinking that 3/16" steel would be adequate, but wasn't completely sure - especially considering that I could bend the steel using the tow hooks. With 3/16" steel, I can buy a 2'x8' sheet for about $80 at my local metal yard so it should be an economical fab job.

Also, if anybody is interested in building the same bumper, I would be considering selling the plans.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice! I can't wait to see it in steel.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
1/8" for the bulk of the bumper otherwise it will weigh way too much.
Where the winch sits I'd use 1/4" and brace it well.

:wabbit2:

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 08-13-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looks great. What are your plans for mounting to the frame?

I would think the winch plate and brackets would need to be 1/4", especially where it looks like you have D ring mounts, those you are probably running straight through from the frame..
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks for the input. The hardest part was trying to figure out the proper angles and dimensions on the geometry. I don't have 3D AutoCAD so I actually cracked open an old geometry book from college to figure out the angles on the lower half of the bumper. Looks like I finally got a good use out of those expensive college books!

I was thinking that using 1/4" for the front plate would be best too, but I wanted to check with some others with more experience in this field. Weight doesn't concern me too much, but I don't want it to be a PITA when I mount it so I believe I'll take Wab's advice and go with 1/8" on everything except for the front plate. I won't be mounting the winch right away, but when I do, it will either be mounted on the 1/4" front plate or if I remove the valance I would have enough space to bolt it directly to the frame and hide it behind the bumper with a fairlead.

I'll have 4 mounting points. I plan on beefing up the front cross member to provide two high and two low mounting points. Like Dropzone said, two of the mounting points will be at the D-ring mounts. I'm going to slot the bumper and fab the d-rings mounts so that the actually d-ring mounts run through the bumper directly to the frame as two of the mounts. Then I'll weld them into place in the slots in the bumper.

I have the general ideas for the mounts, but I don't have them drawn up yet since I wanted to make sure the actual bumper design would fit into place first.

I appreciate all of your input on this. I'm not expert at any of this stuff, but I know enough to get the job done right with the help from you folks.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here are the drawings. Makes me wish that I had access to a CNC machine, but I should be ok with my band saw, mitre saw and cutting wheel. The pieces around the side are gussets for reinforcement. I haven't designed the mounting brackets since I need to do some more measuring and mock up.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I LOVE IT!!!!!! Sweet lookin bumper dude I may have to copy it in the future let us know how it goes building it.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man that thing is sick can you send me the auto cad file