Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Questions on taking out windshield and re-installing it on 82 pickup please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions on taking out windshield and re-installing it on 82 pickup please...

I need to remove the windshield from my 82 Toyota to deal with some rust (see photo) before I re-paint and then re-install the same windshield. I saw a few Youtube videos showing people removing and replacing windshields but they didn't go into as much detail as I'd like.

I have a few questions please...

1) Can I re-use the black rubber molding that frames the windshield?

2) How do you re-attach that same black rubber molding later?

3) Do you think I should re-install the windshield AFTER I repaint the truck?

4) Do you think this $15 windshield kit at Harbor Freight is good enough to do the job? http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-96339.html

5) Is there anything about pulling and re-installing an old 82 Toyota pickup windshield that is unique to this vehicle that I need to know?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Questions on taking out windshield and re-installing it on 82 pickup please...-20130115_142735.jpg  
Old 07-14-2013, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magentawave
I need to remove the windshield from my 82 Toyota to deal with some rust (see photo) before I re-paint and then re-install the same windshield. I saw a few Youtube videos showing people removing and replacing windshields but they didn't go into as much detail as I'd like.

I have a few questions please...

1) Can I re-use the black rubber molding that frames the windshield?
Unfortunately, you can't. Removal of the windscreen means destroying the gasket. even if it didn't, you really wouldn't want to, because they shrink and get brittle with age.
New gaskets can be had from the stealership for around fifty bucks.

2) How do you re-attach that same black rubber molding later?
to replace the gasket, look up the soapy string windshield gasket trick, it's a pretty easy system: soak about fifteen feet of cord and the gasket in soapy water. Wet the edges of the frame and windscreen with water, apply the gasket to the glass, wrap the cord around the gasket two times or so, set it in place, pull the cord, and the gasket seats itself.

3) Do you think I should re-install the windshield AFTER I repaint the truck?
At the very least, you should repaint the frame and lip the gasket seats on to prevent rust damage. Repainting prior to the gasket does make things a little easier, though.

4) Do you think this $15 windshield kit at Harbor Freight is good enough to do the job? http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-96339.html
I wouldn't bother. You can get a proper cold knife tool from a parts store, but I used a screwdriver to lift the flange of the gasket, got a utility knife under it, cut the gasket at the top left corner across the middle spar that seats between the metal and glass, and then chased it down the length of the gasket with the knife, left hand pulling the gasket taught, the right running the knife. Takes about three minutes.

5) Is there anything about pulling and re-installing an old 82 Toyota pickup windshield that is unique to this vehicle that I need to know?

Thanks
Not really, no. It's just like any other gasket-type windscreen install.
Make sure you have a friend or cohort holding the glass in place while you pull the string.

Here's a helpful video that walks you through it, plus it gives you the opportunity to check out an IH Scout (the best American 4X4):

Hope I've helped!

Last edited by RobotMoose; 07-14-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
looking at the rust surrounding your windshield I am afraid you are going to be running into some severe rust hidden under the windshield seal. Pretty common problem on these trucks.

If you have been having a leak on your passenger side, it is a good indication of a lot of metal being gone,...
Old 07-18-2013, 12:56 PM

RobotMoose - All the videos I saw before showed the newer way they hold the windshields in which had me confused because my truck uses a gasket so your post really helped a lot and thanks for taking the time to post it!

Two more questions please...

A) What should the minimum to maximum thickness be for the cotton string and where can I buy that? I'm asking because everything I've seen so far in the thicker stuff has been nylon.

B) I haven't pulled the glass yet but the gasket still looks good so I'm wondering if it was replaced not too long ago. Is it possible to remove the gasket without destroying it so I can thoroughly inspect it for cracks before shelling out $60 for a a new one?

Last edited by magentawave; 07-18-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Yes thank you, and that rust is exactly why I need to remove the windshield.

Originally Posted by dropzone
looking at the rust surrounding your windshield I am afraid you are going to be running into some severe rust hidden under the windshield seal. Pretty common problem on these trucks.

If you have been having a leak on your passenger side, it is a good indication of a lot of metal being gone,...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 PM

RobotMoose - All the videos I saw before showed the newer way they hold the windshields in which had me confused because my truck uses a gasket so your post really helped a lot and thanks for taking the time to post it!
Glad to help!
It gets confusing when you realize that everything now is glued in place, but the gasket method is perfect for a simple, rugged truck because it allows for more flex, and doesn't use oil-sensitive adhesives.

Two more questions please...

A) What should the minimum to maximum thickness be for the cotton string and where can I buy that? I'm asking because everything I've seen so far in the thicker stuff has been nylon.
Nylon should work as well, just let it soak so lots of soapy water can get trapped between the fibers. I have seen it done with surveyor's twine as well.
I have some 1/8" synthetic twine awaiting use for this same reason.

B) I haven't pulled the glass yet but the gasket still looks good so I'm wondering if it was replaced not too long ago. Is it possible to remove the gasket without destroying it so I can thoroughly inspect it for cracks before shelling out $60 for a a new one?
You really don't want to do that. I wouldn't advise reusing any gasket, even if it seemed young. Even if there was some way of taking it off without cutting it up, the flexing of handling it plus stretching and cracking from removal will definitely ruin it.

Just like you won't pull your head gasket and replace it, you don't want to do that with this, either. This could be even fatal, because the robustness of this gasket means the front of your cab is better braced against a rollover. If you reuse a stretched-out, damaged gasket on your windshield, the glass could just pop off and the cab would crumple in on you. Don't run the risk!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 PM

Okay then - I was hoping to save the $60 but I'll order a new gasket tomorrow. I read or saw somewhere that its best to use cotton because synthetics like nylon don't absorb the soapy water and will damage the gasket. Hopefully I can find some thick cotton that won't require me having to buy a million feet of it!

Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM

Well, I did it a little different than these guys but it worked anyways. I used I think a 3/8 manila rope. Started from the top middle and started pushing it in around the edges. Took a putty knife and pushed it all in further. Popped right out after that then I welded some new steel, smoothed it out with bondo and painted it. I was unemployed at the time so I reused the gasket because I thought it looked good. Had to put some silicon on out the outside part under the seal because it had a little leak but it's been dry through a couple Oregon winters. Didn't think about the roll over thing, but will probably leave it. There are some pictures in this photobucket album moving forward from this pic.

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/cons...ml?sort=3&o=14
Old 12-20-2013, 05:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but did you have to remove a chrome trim before removing the windshield? I just ordered a new gasket and my truck has the trim and I'm wondering how take it off without damaging it.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:48 PM

My 82 didn't have a chrome trim tab.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
So how Did this come out?? Pics of how you fixed the rust and stuff?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got the trim off today. Was really easy.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:18 PM

If you're asking me... I pulled the window out and ground out the rust and used rust mort but its been sitting there with a tarp over the hood area to protect it from rain while I rebuild the interior (its a Toyota motorhome). I decided to do the painting when I'm done with everything else. I hope to be done in another three months.

Originally Posted by dropzone
So how Did this come out?? Pics of how you fixed the rust and stuff?
Old 06-01-2020, 07:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info on this thread....I have to do the same!
Old 06-01-2020, 09:36 AM

I started this thread a long time ago. So, to finish up... I bought new rubber gasket material off of eBay. To reinstall the glass I followed instructions on a Youtube video. The installation was easy and went fast. The key is to use lots of soapy water and have at least one human there to help. Good luck!