Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Question about adjusting front ride height for 1980 2WD (w/ torsion bars)

Old 10-26-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about adjusting front ride height for 1980 2WD (w/ torsion bars)

Here in a few weeks I'm going to get around to changing out my rear leaf springs for new ones that raise my rear end 2", and I'd like to raise my front end about the same because I want to install larger wheels and tires. According to the FSM, this can be adjusted with the torsion bars, but it really doesn't say by how much. I'm guessing that I'm hoping for too much to think the torsion bar adjustment alone will get me 2", so if that simple adjustment won't work, what will I need to do? Keep in mind this is a 2WD I'm attempting this on.

Also, after reading around the forums here regarding the nightmares awaiting me when I change out the leaf springs and bushings, will my dremel tool be able to cut through the bolt if (and that's a pretty sure 'if' going from what I've read here) it's broken, or am i going to need to buy a reciprocating saw to cut through them?
Old 10-30-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can raise the front by cranking the T-bars up to about 3" IIRC. The downside is it will be a very rough ride and you cannot get it aligned properly so your tires will wear on the inside edge. I tried it once on my 82 just to see what could be done; ended up going back to where it was due to the above issues.

The best way (IMO) to lift a first-gen 2wd would either be a body lift and bigger tires; or switch the front over to the 84-88 assembly so drop spindles can be used. I have not done this myself but I know its been done before.

Hope this helps
Old 10-30-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, and in regards to your other question, a dremel is a little light IMO, I would prefer a sawzall or a thin cutting disc in an angle grinder.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info; as I figured, simply adjusting the torsion bars seemed like too easy of a fix. Anyway, after posting this thread, I ran across this:

http://toyota2wd.proboards.com/threa...t-parts-coming

Same pickup as mine - what this guy did was trade out his axle control arms for fifth-gen 1989 control arms and ball joints and then installed ball joint spacers for lift. This really seems like the way to go.

Search this Thread