Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

The most exciting break down for me ever

Old 09-21-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most exciting break down for me ever

so today , truck wouldn't start at lunch after driving to work. Charged the battery, fired it up everything's good . At the end of the day , no surprise , won't start. So charged it another half hour then took off , half way home she died in the worst intersection possible so I call up AAA and a buddy to jump me while so I can get out the intersection while waiting for the tow anyhow after that last jump it ran for only 6 blocks , but was at least twice as fast as it has for the 300 miles. I'm not sure what's going on with it , it has a shininy brand new alt, new battery and new OEM spark plugs so will be interesting
Old 09-21-2016, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1980 Pinellas
so today , truck wouldn't start at lunch after driving to work. Charged the battery, fired it up everything's good . At the end of the day , no surprise , won't start. So charged it another half hour then took off , half way home she died in the worst intersection possible so I call up AAA and a buddy to jump me while so I can get out the intersection while waiting for the tow anyhow after that last jump it ran for only 6 blocks , but was at least twice as fast as it has for the 300 miles. I'm not sure what's going on with it , it has a shininy brand new alt, new battery and new OEM spark plugs so will be interesting
My hat is off to you! That is a great looking truck. Definitely check the alternator and grounds / battery cables. Please let us know what you find.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
I was having something similar. My Optima battery was purchased in July 2014. I was figuring I needed a new alternator but it turns out the battery was not fully charging. I got a new one free because it had a three year warranty. So maybe it's something really simple.

Beautiful truck!!!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Put a multimeter on it see what it's charging at. Check grounds. Check battery. Check for broken wires.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have gotten bad rebuilt alternators out of the box. If you charged the battery it should of run for a little while before dying. Need to find out if the problem is on the fuel side or firing side. Great looking truck.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:24 AM

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I find

I just hoping I can get the engine to run like it did after the last jump . It made the whole problem almost a happy thing . I'm wondering about the electrical item the distributor plugs into. I'm going to bring a voltmeter home and become super familiar with my firing order and electrical outputs ect . Hopefully the awesome surge of power wasn't something mechanical like timing chain jump or something like that.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
You must really lead a quiet and sheltered life

I thought maybe your Roll back driver was really Hot !!

I had that happen the Bosses daughter should not go on towing jobs wearing Daisy Dukes !!
Old 09-22-2016, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You must really lead a quiet and sheltered life I thought maybe your Roll back driver was really Hot !! I had that happen the Bosses daughter should not go on towing jobs wearing Daisy Dukes !!
Did I miss something? I'm not sure what your talking about?
Old 09-22-2016, 05:45 PM

Joe the roll back was not hot, I found out a lot of things about tow truck drivers on that trip. First thing was that unlike truck drivers , tow truck drivers have no log sheeet on how many hours they have worked or drove, I know that's not proper English , at least in Florida . Joe was working on 3 hours sleep , with twelve hours in front of him , then another 14 hour shift. He was good though, I was under there with him , and he moved the chains three times till it was hooked up to a nice spot on the frame to pull it up the bed

anyhow , got home late , so no testing went with my gut and jerked the dis off , will get it tested and keep plugging away at my problem. I think I lost more blood than sweat from the mosquitos at dusk here in central Florida, thankfully I'm not pregnant with all that Zika out there
Old 10-03-2016, 05:46 PM

So truck is up at the local wreches shop, I told him to take his time, he nailed that . So I was in the shop today and seats are on my short list. Staring at the fork lift it suddenly hit me. My first thought was the back rest was to short, but after I climbed in it , and took note it's a pretty comfy seat plus it has built in suspension. My truck rides like a tank , a granny suspension is also on my short list. I'm thinking about doing this, already found one seat at 80.00 . It's not like I'm traveling in this thing , I can't imagine this seat becoming unbearable after only a hour each way to work. Also noticed this sticker , does it mean two men should never ride on a forklift together , like a motorcycle, bicycle or moped? Probably