Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Lexan Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexan Windshield

Hey guys, I'm wondering if there are any companies who make a lexan windshield for a first gen? The windshield frame on my '83 is mangled around the cage and I need something to go in place of the glass that was gone a couple tumbles ago.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 PM

you don't want lexan.

You're probably thinking "lexan's awesome because it won't shatter like glass and I won't have to replace it ever again"

Think again:

1) it scratches VERY easiliy, it'll become extremely cloudy even after offroading it a few times just from dust and small rocks. even using your wipers to get mud off the windshield

2) it expands and contracts much more than glass, making it very hard to seal and make waterproof

3) installation's a pain, most places won't do it because it'll crack after installation from heat expansion/contractions and they don't want to be liable

4) They're illegal for on-road use because if you ever get in an accident that requires the use of the windshield as an escape, a fireman's axe will just bounce off making it much more difficult to extract you from the vehicle.

5) its very expensive to get a molded windshield made of lexan. Even the non-molded ones are expensive.

6) the cheaper lexan will fade and turn yellow after awhile due to UV exposure. The UV resistant stuff is much better at staying clear, but will eventually yellow.

I have considered lexan as weight reducing options for my racecar and have done a lot of research and calling around about the pro's and con's. Its just not worth it, especially for offroading. Even on-track competition cars end up replacing the lexan frequently because it clouds up so easily. They're also riveted on in most cases and aren't waterproof.

I would just recommend getting a replacement glass windshield.

Last edited by NicCantDecide; 01-07-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 01-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
You can go to Home depot and pick up sheets of lexan and cut them to shape yourself. This is what we do with my Race cars. I picked up a sheet for around $75 and had enough left over for quarter windows in my 91 MR2. Since you have rolled your truck, i am assuming you don't care about the body so it would be best to rivet it on.

if they don't have Lexan ("Lexan" is a brand name) make sure you get Polycarbonate. They also sell acrylic plastic, and that crap will shatter. You can't cut it like you can lexan, and it will not flex into a windshield shape.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 PM

$75, really? o_O

what thickness and how big are the sheets?

and yeah, if you do end up doing it, riveting is the best way to go. Just don't press the rivets down all the way or else you'll split the lexan.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
they are pretty thin, i can't remember the thickness i used. The sheets are 36x72
Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
look at a product called Makrolan: http://www.makrolon.com/BMS/DB-RSC/M...nsf/id/home_en
I got lucky and scored a sheet off craigslist. the stuff is awesome. they make a lot of headlight lenses out of it. Made a back window out of it for my '81. did this with a piece of scrap:
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM

Thanks guys.

I was afraid of the smearing/scratching side effect.