Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Introducing my self.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Introducing my self.

Hi boys and girls my name is Mike and I live in the La California area. I like beer, pizza, and wrenching on cars preferably at the same time. Couple of months ago I bought this beauty. I put the white walls and lower it. And that created a problem she is so low that is a little bumpy I don't mind it but it keeps resetting the timing by rotating the distributor. Have you guys ever come across this? I have reset it the timing twice already and I have to do it again. The P.O. had a bolt in there that was to short and I have replace it whit a nice long bolt and washer to help hold it in place. But I guess all the constant vibrations and bouncing has rotated the distributor and reset the timing again. Any idea on how I can fix this problem? I'm sure some of you guys that go off-raoding must have tons of bouncing and vibrations.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech Mike. Nice ride! How about some details? Year, mileage, specs, condition, etc.?

You might want to recheck the new hold-down bolt you put in, to make sure it is the right size, length, etc. According to what I can find, it should be a metric M8 - 1.25 X 30mm. If it is right sized, especially the length, and as long as the threads it goes into aren't stripped, you might consider putting on a split or wave washer of the right size. This will "tension up" the bolt at the head, making it less likely to back out and loosen up on you. Do NOT use threadlocker (LocTite)!

You can go to any hardware store, take your bolt out & have them match up a washer for you; should cost pennies & take minutes.

Just in case, here are pics of the washer types:

Split Washer:

Wave Washer:

Worse comes to worse, there is also this:
http://www.lceperformance.com/22R-RE...-p/1071041.htm

Any of the above should get your problem solved. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:19 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
check boss threads on block. Sounds like it might be stripped.

Welcome. Where's the pics?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks guys for the response. I have done both things, got a new bolt that is a little bit longer added the split washer. Still gets lose. I have noticed that the bolt whole is full of oil. This time around I have added some teflon tape to help with the grip. I have gotten the rotor and cap replaced and ever since then the timing and this little bolt problem just keeps coming up and its driving me crazy. Its a freaking 4 banger why is this so difficult? Lol

This is Jack. He is a 1978 Toyota heliux extended bed, manual transmission. The speedometer has stopped at 96k, but i'm sure its been around twice already. I'm determined to get the engine to run right. I'm having this timing issue which is a pain in the but cause this should not be this difficult. So far I got the carb rebuild, new spark plugs, wires, rotor with cap. And acquired a timing issue. LOL The engine is on his way out I got all types of knocking going on in there. But i'm going to run it till it dies, then get it rebuild. In the mean time I'm going to focus on the interior.

One of the problems I'm having is when starting from a dead stop like at a stop light I have to ease the gas in really slow. If I push it hard the engine wont climb in rpm I can literally put the pedal to the floor and I wont get any more rpm out of it. I have to let of the gas and press it again. It feels like its choking at first then it goes. Its kind of hard to explain, it only does it at the bottom of the rpm range. Before I adjusted the timing it used to do it at the top of the rpm range. It will take off really well but then get to a point in where I have to slowly give it more gas. Other wise the engine would stay at a certain rpm. And make this really weird noise. It was not a high rpm noise it was more of hard exhale. If that makes any sense. So I need to figure this out cause this is driving me crazy. One because it drives like crap and second and most important, its a freaking 2 littler 4 banger this should not be this difficult.