Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

horn buttons in steering column

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redneck1120
I got a 82 pickup 4wd and my horn only works when the steering wheel is turned a certain way... anyone know what this could be?
The spring loaded contact on the horn button or the ring that it rides on is dirty or bad. Clean and/or replace.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a 82 pickup 4wd and my horn only works when the steering wheel is turned a certain way... anyone know what this could be?
Very likely to be the same problem...failing spring that pushes the contact up onto the contact ring. If true, you can shim the contact ring like I describe above (post number 11), or extend the contact pin like Terrys87 did (post 13), or do both for even better contact. Also clean it and apply dielectric grease to make it a permanent fix. You might want to clean the post before slipping the brass .22 casing over it. Maybe clean the casing and put a drop of dielectric grease down into it as well. Overkill, possibly, but there's nothing worse than fixing something twice!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Alright man I really appreciate it ill do that when it quits raining out!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 PM

i have the exact same thing and its the pin is worn and possably the P/O bent the contact ring up between the screws to make some sort of contact... at least thats why mine does it. im going to try the .22 shell when i get a chance.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
As usual, y'all came thru for me in solving my "current" issue with my truck. Horn slowly deteriorated and then just quit working! I followed this thread as well as a couple others in yotatech to solve my problem.

I didn't try the .22 casing. I did try putting some washers under the screws to bring the brass ring closer to the pin. That kinda warped my ring, so I flattened it bk out and tried something different.

I cut a cork gasket of decent thickness to match the brass ring (hopefully to offer some support so I didn't warp it further), and put the gasket under the brass ring. I reassembled, verified that the contact pin was actually in contact with the brass ring and being careful not to tighten to the point of warping the brass ring again, put the steering cover bk on and tested my horn. I also started my truck and turned the steering wheel from side to side, to ensure that the contact was maintained as the wheel turned....success! Thanks for the great pics and the great advice (again and again and again)!
Old 01-31-2017, 05:16 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Switched ground, will show the noload voltage drop when testing at switch

Originally Posted by 83Toyota88
My horn is not working. I have the two spoke steering wheel with a rectangle center with two buttons. Pulled the cover off and measured to voltage where the button contacts the plate thing. I only get 8V but my battery reads 12V. Not sure what to do with this voltage drop. I don't know if I need to pull my whole middle piece out and stack washers behind it like you did or not.
Originally Posted by suncomb1
The wire to the horn button is a Ground wire and should not have voltage on it (except for a small amount of Potential voltage).
Sorry to bump old stuff but this is partly wrong.

It is the ground wire for the horn circuit, however it should have a voltage reading. The difference between battery voltage and line voltage at the switch is due to the resistance of the horn which is up stream of the switch.

​​​​​