Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Headgasket, do I have to replace it if I loosen the head bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headgasket, do I have to replace it if I loosen the head bolts?

Hi,

I have a strange thing, I replaced the camshaft in my 82 PU, and rocker arms. I had to get this motor together and get out of state right away to not miss work.

The number four cylinder's rocker arms (Both intake and exhaust) are off (Too far rearward, towards the cab) about 1/16". Either the camshaft was cast wrong, or there's too much meat on one side of the rocker arms on just that cylinder. Every other rocker is aligned perfectly.

There is no other explanation, as the rocker arm shaft keepers are non- moveable. For the intake valve of the number four cylinder, I could install a washer/shim, but for the exhaust, I'd need to take material off of the rocker to make it match up with the camshaft lobe.

Here are some pics:

Here is a normal, centered rocker:

Name:  IMG_4219.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  95.3 KB

Intake: (Off center)

Name:  IMG_4220.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  94.0 KB

Exhaust: (Off center)

Name:  IMG_4218.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  108.7 KB

Both intake and exhaust of number four cylinder, off center:

Name:  IMG_4221.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  138.3 KB

My question is, if I remove the head bolts without disturbing the head to try and (Somehow) correct this, do I need to replace the head gasket? The HG is a brand new one, installed less than 400 miles ago. It's a Fel-Pro perma torque.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be more concerned about whether on not the arm is centered over the valve. I'm also wondering why your cam looks like it was sand blasted.
And to answer your question, you might get away with not replacing the gasket. And you might not. I have done it before. Just make sure the coolant is drained out of the block and don't disturb the head while the bolts are out
Old 05-20-2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by j2the-e
I would be more concerned about whether on not the arm is centered over the valve. I'm also wondering why your cam looks like it was sand blasted.
And to answer your question, you might get away with not replacing the gasket. And you might not. I have done it before. Just make sure the coolant is drained out of the block and don't disturb the head while the bolts are out

Yeah, I don't know. But that's the low end of the lobe where there's no lift. And the valvetrain has less than 400 miles on it, so maybe over time it will wear in.

Huh, I am not sure about, "Maybe, maybe not". It's for an RV, I don't want to be hauling around all my stuff for a camping trip and have it go out on me :/

Well, there's not much I can do to change the center, as you can see.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by thetundrawolf
Huh, I am not sure about, "Maybe, maybe not". It's for an RV, I don't want to be hauling around all my stuff for a camping trip and have it go out on me :/
In this case, since you can't risk a break-down, I would pull the head and send it along with the rockers and cam to a reputable machine shop for inspection. Someone with plenty of Toyota experience who has been around the block. Don't be afraid to ask for referrals and credentials. Toyota went through several different designs on the rockers and shafts over the years. Some would wear more than others, some used different spacers. I don't know all the specifics.
I would also suggest using a factory Toyota gasket.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM

And post up some pics! I always liked the old Toyota motorhomes
Old 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The cost of a new HG vs the chance it may fail would be enough for me to just replace it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Let's see the motorhome pics!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:45 AM

To answer your question about needing to change the HG, well about two months ago I tried to change my valve seals well I pulled every head bolt and I didn't drain any fluids at all (maybe a bad idea) I even had fluids draining down the block, it scared the **** out of me so I just prayed and tightened the bolts down in the proper sequence and I have had no problems at all since the job. I think as long as the head doesn't shift on you and it bolts back down in the same mating surface as before you will be fine